Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: $60/10GB/Canada Wide, etc, etc etc for Ontario customers

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Any advantage to going with Koodo over Telus, Rogers, Virgin, Fido, and Bell's 10GB/$60 plans? I'm on Public Mobile so could port out to anyone. My first inclination is to go to Rogers (I also have a Rogers line and know it provides coverage where I need so Rogers vs. Bellus isn't a differentiator for me). It appears Rogers provides more features than the alternatives (as Rogers is including Name Display for example). Ideally I'd get voice-to-text too. Mind you, Rogers isn't providing global SMS/MMS like Fido, so I might go with Fido and add on the $5 Value Pack. I'm not clear on any ways that Bell or Virgin's offers are superior.

Any "devil's in the details" points that favours Koodo over the others? While Rogers' network will suffice, in a perfect world I'd have Bellus' network. Any option to get voice-to-text on Koodo?
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 LE
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Any advantage to going with Koodo over Telus, Rogers, Virgin, Fido, and Bell's 10GB/$60 plans? I'm on Public Mobile so could port out to anyone. My first inclination is to go to Rogers (I also have a Rogers line and know it provides coverage where I need so Rogers vs. Bellus isn't a differentiator for me). It appears Rogers provides more features than the alternatives (as Rogers is including Name Display for example). Ideally I'd get voice-to-text too. Mind you, Rogers isn't providing global SMS/MMS like Fido, so I might go with Fido and add on the $5 Value Pack. I'm not clear on any ways that Bell or Virgin's offers are superior.

Any "devil's in the details" points that favours Koodo over the others? While Rogers' network will suffice, in a perfect world I'd have Bellus' network. Any option to get voice-to-text on Koodo?
    Your probably best to go with koodo, virgin, or Bell. Fido/rogers will most likely jack up the price of your plan in 6 months.
    ""Wine'm, dine'm, sixty9'm""

Feedback Score

Virgin has some pretty nifty 'member benefits' like $/% off at certain retailers, contests, 3 month free Crave TV etc.

Texting with their 10GB $60 plan is worldwide as well.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score

Post iPhone in Canada Readers Collectively Choose Koodo in the 10GB Gold Rush

Name:  bestbuy-10gb.png
Views: 453
Size:  260.3 KB

Oh, it's a gold rush, all right... in this country, a 10GB data bucket has never been so cheap!

In the absence of any other data, here's a poll that iPhone in Canada ran over the weekend, asking its community which carrier, if any, was chosen for a new 10GB $60/month plan. Here are the results, as of 7:30am Eastern Time this morning:

Koodo Mobile - 21.98% (826 votes)
    Fido - 19.13% (719 votes)
    Rogers - 16.05% (603 votes)
    Telus - 13.97% (525 votes)
    Bell - 11.68% (439 votes)
    Freedom Mobile - 6.6% (248 votes)
    Virgin Mobile - 5.27% (198 votes)

None—I live outside Alberta, BC or Ontario - 5.32% (200 votes)
    Total Votes - 3,758

Not an exhaustive data set, to be sure, but it's something at least. And the most heartening thing for me here is that Freedom Mobile didn't score last. Remember, the only reason why Alberta, BC and Ontario are suddenly seeing big data buckets at reasonable rates is because Freedom is finally selling the iPhone on a halfway decent 4G network...

Source: iPhone in Canada
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    Since you have to get this plan in store or by talking to a CSR, any ideas how someone outside the aforementioned regions can get this plan?

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa_J View Post
    Since you have to get this plan in store or by talking to a CSR, any ideas how someone outside the aforementioned regions can get this plan?
    After years of people in BC/AB/ON trying to get plans from outside the region, it's striking for me to see someone trying to get a BC/AB/ON plan! Are you from Atlantic Canada? I guess they're the ones both being left out here, and without good plans of their own that are specific to their region.

Feedback Score

In terms of value, I think Fido has the best value. I've been debating about it back and forth myself. I've been an extended Koodo/Fido member for a while now, and both have their benefits. Initially I went from Fido to Koodo because of the MB plan... then when I realized the coverage in my gym/old job was slow with Koodo and people on Rogers had good service, I went back to Fido.

Now, at my new job, I barely get coverage with Fido and have 5 bars with Koodo. Fido also charges $6/day for Fido Roam in the US, caps out @ 10 days, so $60 in total. Koodo charges $7/day in the U.S but caps out at $100, so $40 difference for stays of 2 weeks or longer in the U.S. Unlike Telus, Rogers gives Fido almost all the network features that it has, VoLTE, WiFi calling, Spotify, plus you get Data Bytes. Also, I think Fido's valuepack is amazing, $5 for VVM + WhoCalled + the cheapest long distance rates in the industry (1 cent a minute to the USA)!

The dilemma is, the LTE on Bellus is a lot faster, phone runs a lot quicker. I'd be okay staying with Koodo now if they had WiFi calling and VoLTE, which Telus and Rogers/Fido + Bell/Virgin both have. Telus is really slacking on that. I find Telus has better coverage (more bars)... but Fido has the better value. I just recently switched to Koodo, since Fido was pulling their initial 5 + 5 (for 2 years) BS. So, I'm going to try out Koodo at the gym again and see if my coverage is still slacking there or if it's been fixed, been almost a year since I left Koodo initially.

Also, Fido is more prone to price hikes than Koodo is. All else being equal (if you get the same coverage or are in a Rogers-dominated area, I would go with Fido), but in my case Belus is significantly faster but the fact that when you're on a call it switches to 3G and you have to browse the internet slowly is a huge annoyance for me.

Feedback Score
    After years of people in BC/AB/ON trying to get plans from outside the region, it's striking for me to see someone trying to get a BC/AB/ON plan! Are you from Atlantic Canada? I guess they're the ones both being left out here, and without good plans of their own that are specific to their region.
    Yup, Prince Edward Island. In order to get something reasonable I've got a Xiaomi A1 that I have Koodo prepaid in one sim, and the 3GB $15 Fido tablet plan in the other. This 10GB plan would obviously be more expensive, but I'd likely drop my home line for it.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv VeniceNA
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile/Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchy_mitch View Post
    Your probably best to go with koodo, virgin, or Bell. Fido/rogers will most likely jack up the price of your plan in 6 months.
    Their plan started off as a base 5GB plan with 5GB bonus which expires in 24 months. Then shortly after they sent out texts to people who signed up that it has been extended to "no end date", lol.

Bell and Rogers seem to always be in some kind of race to be the scummiest carrier.
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.

Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Bell and Rogers seem to always be in some kind of race to be the scummiest carrier.
    QFT. Bell and Rogers have been nightmares for me over the years while Koodo and Telus have generally been good. When I've run into problems, they've fixed it.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Precedent View Post
    In terms of value, I think Fido has the best value. I've been debating about it back and forth myself. I've been an extended Koodo/Fido member for a while now, and both have their benefits. [...]
    Thanks for the great summary. So as best as I can determine, out of the 6 carriers:

- Fido/Rogers is best for U.S. roaming
    - Fido is best for extensive phoning the U.S.
    - Rogers is best overall for included services (Name Display, enhanced voicemail, etc.)
    - Virgin offers promos like contests, coupons, etc.
    - Fido offers Fido Pulse benefits (including 5 extra hours of unlimited data use per month.... weird to think of data as by the hour, like it was for me in the ancient old circuit switched data days before GPRS came out!)
    - the three flankers include global text (Rogers is Canada-wide only, not sure about Telus or Bell as they don't seem to have the deals up right now)
    - Bellus has the best network overall (objectively, as they have more cell sites in total than Rogers)
    - Telus seems to have the highest-rated customer service overall, with Koodo perhaps second-best

Any other advantages specific to any of the six carriers worth adding to this list?

Huh... voice-to-text is the lynchpin for me, as I absolutely must have that feature. And I prefer the MMS-based voice-to-text over the SMS or email based alternatives, so I pretty much have to stay with Rogers and/or Fido, unless a competing carrier has rolled out a feature like that? That's a big part of why I've been doing dual-SIM since the November 2016 Public Mobile promo, since PM's calling features are so abysmally basic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    Koodo Mobile - 21.98% (826 votes)
    Fido - 19.13% (719 votes)
    Rogers - 16.05% (603 votes)
    Telus - 13.97% (525 votes)
    Bell - 11.68% (439 votes)
    Virgin Mobile - 5.27% (198 votes)

None—I live outside Alberta, BC or Ontario - 5.32% (200 votes)
    Total Votes - 3,758
    Source: iPhone in Canada
    Aren't ROGERS/Fido the worst of the Big Three for killing grandfathered plans? This is an honest question, BTW, I've only done business with them once (Fido 3gb $15)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv VeniceNA
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile/Telus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the great summary. So as best as I can determine, out of the 6 carriers:

- Fido/Rogers is best for U.S. roaming
    - Fido is best for extensive phoning the U.S.
    - Rogers is best overall for included services (Name Display, enhanced voicemail, etc.)
    - Virgin offers promos like contests, coupons, etc.
    - Fido offers Fido Pulse benefits (including 5 extra hours of unlimited data use per month.... weird to think of data as by the hour, like it was for me in the ancient old circuit switched data days before GPRS came out!)
    - the three flankers include global text (Rogers is Canada-wide only, not sure about Telus or Bell as they don't seem to have the deals up right now)
    - Bellus has the best network overall (objectively, as they have more cell sites in total than Rogers)
    - Telus seems to have the highest-rated customer service overall, with Koodo perhaps second-best

Any other advantages specific to any of the six carriers worth adding to this list?

Huh... voice-to-text is the lynchpin for me, as I absolutely must have that feature. And I prefer the MMS-based voice-to-text over the SMS or email based alternatives, so I pretty much have to stay with Rogers and/or Fido, unless a competing carrier has rolled out a feature like that? That's a big part of why I've been doing dual-SIM since the November 2016 Public Mobile promo, since PM's calling features are so abysmally basic.
    AFAIK Koodo also has "Roam like Home".

https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam...avelAndRoaming

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    Remember, the only reason why Alberta, BC and Ontario are suddenly seeing big data buckets at reasonable rates is because Freedom is finally selling the iPhone on a halfway decent 4G network...
    What carrier did you choose for your $60/10GB plan?

Using the most recent numbers.

Robellus 3676
    Freedom 275

Of the 3951 who switched to a 10GB plan, 93% chose an incumbent.
    Just 7% chose the reason why.

The incumbents will be pleased.
    They responded in unison..
    the threat was neutralized!
    The status quo preserved.

A nation of thinking consumers, we're not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qag01 View Post
    Aren't ROGERS/Fido the worst of the Big Three for killing grandfathered plans? This is an honest question, BTW, I've only done business with them once (Fido 3gb $15)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    Yes. Telus/Koodo have a much better track record in this regard.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast