Thread: 0.01 MB Data Leakage

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Exclamation 0.01 MB Data Leakage

I thought I would just throw this out here. I imagine most aren't paying attention.

I notice every billing cycle that there is"phantom" 0.01 MB or 0.00 MB usage appearing on my bill. There is no charge but this is requiring me to keep my phone in Airplane Mode when travelling to the USA or overseas.

As a result, I won't be able to view my received SMS because of the risk in getting dinged a roaming charge...and for obvious reasons, I can't contact Koodo to have them reverse the charge should this happen.

With Rogers/Fido there was never any data leakage and data roaming was always disabled unless one manually enabled it in their device's settings. I have never experienced any data leakage while on Rogers.

I wonder if Koodo has any plans to deal with this data leakage or would they just rather address it on a case-by-case basis?

Device(s)
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier(s)
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    In the US Weekly, never had any data "leakage" with my android phone or my wife's iPhone.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    It's random. Others have reported it on Koodo forums. I think you're lucky

Feedback Score
    But if there is no charge why worry? I've been dealing with this for couple years on older parent's Telus Prepaid Telus line. We load up some $$ and it just trickles out $0.01 at a time. It used to be every hour. Their solution: buy data. Frustrating cuz Telus is the only one charging for incoming SMS. And MMS needs cell data apparently. Just getting set to port out.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gameon123 View Post
    But if there is no charge why worry?
    It seems you missed the part about travelling outside Canada and the roaming fee that would be automatically triggered. Paying extra $ to deal with the data leak issue is not logical.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, iPad Mini 2, MacBook Pro 2013 13”, Apple TV 4.
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GVRD777 View Post
    It seems you missed the part about travelling outside Canada and the roaming fee that would be automatically triggered. Paying extra $ to deal with the data leak issue is not logical.
    Doesn’t Telus have something called ‘Easy Roam’ for when one is traveling?

You don’t have to enable it and you can disable ‘Data Roaming’ in your phone settings.

Sent from my iPhone 8 Plus on Bell’s network using Tapatalk Pro

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    Doesn’t Telus have something called ‘Easy Roam’ for when one is traveling?

You don’t have to enable it and you can disable ‘Data Roaming’ in your phone settings.
    Yup, but I don't see how the Easy Roaming can work for data without enabling Data Roaming...nonetheless, you seem to be missing the point of the topic

Feedback Score
    I know exactly what you’re talking about. I had the same issue when I travelled to the US 2 years ago. Roaming data and charges were triggered and the data usage showed 0.00MB. However 2 years ago, i called and got the charges reversed. Back then the out of province plans weren’t that common to koodo CS reps, but if this issue is still there after 2 years, I don’t think they are going to do anything about it. Its the catch 22, they know people with out of province plans won’t call, and if they do they will be asked about the “illegal” plan. So they make their money both ways I guess...

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I understand the concern with the phantom data charges and data roaming, but why do you need to put it into airplane mode and subsequently miss SMS? Can't you just disable data roaming or disable cell data altogether to avoid the phantom charges but still receive SMS? Or does receiving SMS trigger the daily roaming fee? If so, that seems like as big a concern as phantom data.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately with Koodo you will still leak data even when you disconnect data. From what I've been reading, receiving SMS won't trigger the roaming but the data leakage will. Koodo is aware (but not all CSRs know or want to admit it) and Koodo blames the OEMs and the OEMs like Apple blame the network operators.

The only fool proof method is to keep your device in Airplane mode or remove the SIM when travelling. For any missed SMS, you can look at your Koodo usage online and see the number that texted you. This is a PIA if you have to re authenticate your banking or other apps when connected via wifi at your destination.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wes786 View Post
    I know exactly what you’re talking about. I had the same issue when I travelled to the US 2 years ago. Roaming data and charges were triggered and the data usage showed 0.00MB. However 2 years ago, i called and got the charges reversed. Back then the out of province plans weren’t that common to koodo CS reps, but if this issue is still there after 2 years, I don’t think they are going to do anything about it. Its the catch 22, they know people with out of province plans won’t call, and if they do they will be asked about the “illegal” plan. So they make their money both ways I guess...
    Apparently, there's even issues with their Easy Roaming add-on where you still get charged for roaming even though you're in a country where you have Easy Roaming is available. Imagine the extra costs you would have to absorb? Maybe it's better to jump on Robbers current time limited promo of 10 GB (5 GB +5GB) for $60 month. It's good until December 18.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    There's also a Bell offer now which seems better: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/bell...6/3/#p28644142

Feedback Score
    when i travel to the US i put my iPhone in airplane mode and wifi on
    then turn on my SIP app and make my calls like that, i never miss a text either.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    How do you receive SMS when your phone is in airplane mode?

Feedback Score
    SMS - i don't use that any more.. - everyone i deal with is an iPhone or iPad - so iMessage.. so as long as you on wifi - life is good
    no texts are missed.. i have not received a SMS in possibly 6 months from a random stranger or marketing firm.