Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rogers to Hike Spending On Wireless Netowkr

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, itís the same around here. Just recently, Bell is adding B7 to a lot of their sites. Prior to these recent upgrades, it was mostly B2 and B4 on many Bell sites, and as youíve mentioned, some are just B2 for their high band LTE. My Telus phone always prefers B2, even when B4 and B7 are available. Speeds are still consistent and generally faster than Rogers in a lot of places, although there are now a few locations around here where Rogers is faster thanks to their recent upgrades. What I still find interesting is that there are many Bell sites without 700MHz LTE. A lot of their sites use B5 as their low band LTE. Itís completely opposite with Rogers. Nearly every Rogers site here has 700MHz LTE. Also, I find hand-off to low band LTE works better with Rogers. There are several places where my Telus device will drop to 3G (when high band LTE signal is weak enough) before it reconnects to low band LTE. Having said that, the Bell network is far more dense around here with a larger number of both outdoor and indoor sites...which is why I think my overall experience with Telus is better than Rogers. But Rogers is upping their game and itís about damn time. Hopefully they continue with their improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Looks like a bit of Rogers/TBaytel expansion in NW Ontario - LTE now in Marathon, Geraldton and Longlac.
    Of course Bell is now showing White River, ON as 'future coverage'.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    Yeah, itís the same around here. Just recently, Bell is adding B7 to a lot of their sites. Prior to these recent upgrades, it was mostly B2 and B4 on many Bell sites, and as youíve mentioned, some are just B2 for their high band LTE. My Telus phone always prefers B2, even when B4 and B7 are available. Speeds are still consistent and generally faster than Rogers in a lot of places, although there are now a few locations around here where Rogers is faster thanks to their recent upgrades. What I still find interesting is that there are many Bell sites without 700MHz LTE. A lot of their sites use B5 as their low band LTE. Itís completely opposite with Rogers. Nearly every Rogers site here has 700MHz LTE. Also, I find hand-off to low band LTE works better with Rogers. There are several places where my Telus device will drop to 3G (when high band LTE signal is weak enough) before it reconnects to low band LTE. Having said that, the Bell network is far more dense around here with a larger number of both outdoor and indoor sites...which is why I think my overall experience with Telus is better than Rogers. But Rogers is upping their game and itís about damn time. Hopefully they continue with their improvements.

Bell just added band 7 in my area. Now 2 4 5 7 17

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers to Hike Spending On Wireless Netowkr

Well well well. Never thought Iíd see the day...looks like Rogers finally got approval to install a 45m monopole site within walking distance from my house. This should definitely take care of the coverage deficiencies theyíve had in our neighbourhood for years. Itís actually not going to be an additional site...theyíre removing their existing site located on the north side of Teston Rd and putting this new one up a lot closer to home. Will be interesting to see how coverage is affected for the neighbourhood south of Teston Rd (east of Hwy 400) and while traveling east along Teston once that tower is gone. Nevertheless, the wife will be happy.

New site was approved by the city in June. Hopefully this doesnít take them another year to build!

https://pub-vaughan.escribemeetings....ocumentId=2631

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Well well well. Never thought Iíd see the day...looks like Rogers finally got approval to install a 45m monopole site within walking distance from my house. This should definitely take care of the coverage deficiencies theyíve had in our neighbourhood for years. Itís actually not going to be an additional site...theyíre removing their existing site located on the north side of Teston Rd and putting this new one up a lot closer to home. Will be interesting to see how coverage is affected for the neighbourhood south of Teston Rd (east of Hwy 400) and while traveling east along Teston once that tower is gone. Nevertheless, the wife will be happy.

New site was approved by the city in June. Hopefully this doesnít take them another year to build!

https://pub-vaughan.escribemeetings....ocumentId=2631

Awesome! Why are they re-locating the tower exactly? Thatís great that itís going to provide better coverage for your neighbourhood though - a huge win for Rogers customers.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Not sure why theyíre relocating. It could be that the two towers would be too close together and possibly interfere with signal overlap, or it could be because they were mandated to remove the tower on Teston Rd. I canít see how this new tower thatíll be built closer to our house can possibly provide adequate coverage to the other fairly large subdivision east of us and along Teston Rd (both locations currently being very well covered by the Teston Rd tower). The new tower is going to be approx the same height but with fewer antenna panels as the one theyíll be removing (9 panels on current tower vs 6 on new tower according to the city council report). Weíll see though...maybe theyíll get creative with antenna placement/direction and blast the transmit power.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Rogers put out a press release not too long ago touting a plan to add LTE to "over 1,000 kms of unserved highway corridors" over the next five years. They cite Route 245 in Antigonish, NS and Highway 5a near Kamloops BC (neither parts of those roads are really served by any provider) in the press release as their candidates for this new coverage.

It'll be interesting to see if it materializes (looks like it is depending on the existence of some federal money), but it is interesting Rogers is looking to add service in areas nobody is covering yet. Wonder if Bellus will match these additions (or even beat Rogers to the punch) or if they will set up extended roaming on Rogers, or if they will just leave these areas for Rogers only.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/03/20/r...ys-investment/

https://about.rogers.com/2019/03/20/...across-canada/

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    A new Rogers tower was recently constructed in my neighbourhood, very close to my house. It finally went live on Wednesday of this week. Signal is strong inside and outside my house. I've been testing on an iPhone 6 and iPhone 8 Plus with similar results. Phones like to camp on band 2 but sometimes switch to band 7. From field test mode on the iPhone 8 Plus, CA is activated on bands 2 and 7 and sometimes bands 2 and 4. SNR is 25. Speed tests consistently top out at 33Mbps down and 20Mbps up...I've conducted these tests inside and outside. By comparison, I get about 260Mbps down with Telus in the same locations and SNR on Bell's tower is lower (Bell tower is also slightly farther away than the new Rogers tower). I have no idea why Rogers is so slow...in fact they're only slightly faster than what I can get on 3G with Telus.
    Last edited by toolcube; 09-20-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

A new Rogers tower was recently constructed in my neighbourhood, very close to my house. It finally went live on Wednesday of this week. Signal is strong inside and outside my house. I've been testing on an iPhone 6 and iPhone 8 Plus with similar results. Phones like to camp on band 2 but sometimes switch to band 7. From field test mode on the iPhone 8 Plus, CA is activated on bands 2 and 7 and sometimes bands 2 and 4. SNR is 25. Speed tests consistently top out at 33Mbps down and 20Mbps up...I've conducted these tests inside and outside. By comparison, I get about 260Mbps down with Telus in the same locations and SNR on Bell's tower is lower (Bell tower is also slightly farther away than the new Rogers tower). I have no idea why Rogers is so slow...in fact they're only slightly faster than what I can get on 3G with Telus.
    I found the same thing with a new tower that was constructed here in St. Johnís out in Paradise this past year. Was slow at first and didnít connect to band 7 hardly at all but then over a month it completely turned around. Started connecting to Band 7 immediately within range and the speeds are now about 150+ Mbps Download consistently on my iPhone X. Itís almost like it takes a while for all frequencies on the tower to go live completely (maybe due to fine tuning/configuration?) hopefully you start to see faster speeds in your house soon! Itís probably not fully up and running yet since you only noticed it went live on Wednesday!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Ya thatís what Iím thinking too. They havenít put the shrouding on it yet...itís a shrouded monopole (flag pole style) but antenna panels and wiring are still exposed at the top, and thereís still a lot of construction equipment at the base of the tower. Theyíre probably still tuning it. Weíll wait and see.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ya thatís what Iím thinking too. They havenít put the shrouding on it yet...itís a shrouded monopole (flag pole style) but antenna panels and wiring are still exposed at the top, and thereís still a lot of construction equipment at the base of the tower. Theyíre probably still tuning it. Weíll wait and see.
    Keep us posted!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

The construction equipment at the base of the new tower is all gone but the shrouding hasnít been attached yet. Im not sure if theyíre still tuning and I donít know how long tuning normally takes, but the performance of the site feels as though itís the best itís going to get. Signal and all is very stable. It also appears as though the site is broadcasting all of the usual Rogers bands - 2, 4, 7, and 12. CA seems to be active too. Fastest I can pull while inside my house is still only between 30-33 Mbps. Outside is a bit better than before. With direct line of site to one of the towerís antenna panels and being very close to it, I can pull about 50-60 Mbps. Itís still only a fraction of the 260 Mbps I usually get with Telus in the same area (I usually even get over 200 with Telus while Iím in my basement!) and as I mentioned before, the Bell tower is farther away than the new Rogers tower with slightly lower SNR than Rogersí tower.

Also, the old Rogers site on the north side of Teston Rd (just west of Jane St) was taken down. The location of this old tower was several hundred feet away from the new tower. Just as I suspected, the area that the old Teston Rd tower used to serve (including a huge subdivision of homes) is now severely under-served - very poor signal and terrible speeds. This particular subdivision had full LTE signal with decent speeds (80-100 Mbps) prior to the tower being decommissioned. If I was a Rogers customer living in that neighbourhood, I would be fuming. I have no idea why they would decommission that site without installing another new site (slightly farther away from the new site they just installed in my neighbourhood) to continue to serve that other neighbourhood properly without a degradation of service. They essentially fixed their poor coverage issue in my neighbourhood (albeit with not-so-great speeds) at the expense of breaking what was once good coverage for the other neighbourhood. So strange, but hey, this is Rogers after all!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    It also appears as though the site is broadcasting all of the usual Rogers bands - 2, 4, 7, and 12. CA seems to be active too.
    Doesnít Rogers also have band 5? When I had a Chatr (i.e. Rogers 3) line it was always on 3G bands 2 and 5. Rogers doesnít have a band 5 on LTE too?
    TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15+10 GB Data
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8+9 GB Data

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Yes, they have started using band 5 for LTE too. Iíve seen my wifeís iPhone 6 connect to it a few times. I suspect it would connect to it a lot more now since all Rogers sites around here now broadcast a full 10MHz band 12 (her phone doesnít support that band).

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The construction equipment at the base of the new tower is all gone but the shrouding hasnít been attached yet. Im not sure if theyíre still tuning and I donít know how long tuning normally takes, but the performance of the site feels as though itís the best itís going to get. Signal and all is very stable. It also appears as though the site is broadcasting all of the usual Rogers bands - 2, 4, 7, and 12. CA seems to be active too. Fastest I can pull while inside my house is still only between 30-33 Mbps. Outside is a bit better than before. With direct line of site to one of the towerís antenna panels and being very close to it, I can pull about 50-60 Mbps. Itís still only a fraction of the 260 Mbps I usually get with Telus in the same area (I usually even get over 200 with Telus while Iím in my basement!) and as I mentioned before, the Bell tower is farther away than the new Rogers tower with slightly lower SNR than Rogersí tower.

Also, the old Rogers site on the north side of Teston Rd (just west of Jane St) was taken down. The location of this old tower was several hundred feet away from the new tower. Just as I suspected, the area that the old Teston Rd tower used to serve (including a huge subdivision of homes) is now severely under-served - very poor signal and terrible speeds. This particular subdivision had full LTE signal with decent speeds (80-100 Mbps) prior to the tower being decommissioned. If I was a Rogers customer living in that neighbourhood, I would be fuming. I have no idea why they would decommission that site without installing another new site (slightly farther away from the new site they just installed in my neighbourhood) to continue to serve that other neighbourhood properly without a degradation of service. They essentially fixed their poor coverage issue in my neighbourhood (albeit with not-so-great speeds) at the expense of breaking what was once good coverage for the other neighbourhood. So strange, but hey, this is Rogers after all!
    Very strange that itís only limited to those speeds for a new tower. Is it the same type of speeds all over your neighbourhood? Maybe itís already crazy congested since the other tower has been decommissioned as you stated. Odd though. I was in your neck of the woods this summer for a few days and speeds were usually 50-100 Mbps all over from what I remember on hwy 400.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast