Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NY network issues

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

NY network issues

I've been having issues in various places. My phone shows full bars but the internet speed is not usable whatsoever. Calls go through perfect. This is occurring in zip 11590, Westbury long island, mainly around the mall as well as other malls or populated areas in Queens. I can't even load a web page. So many people in NY have switched to T-Mobile and I think the network cannot handle all the devices for internet. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    I've been having issues in various places. My phone shows full bars but the internet speed is not usable whatsoever. Calls go through perfect. This is occurring in zip 11590, Westbury long island, mainly around the mall as well as other malls or populated areas in Queens. I can't even load a web page. So many people in NY have switched to T-Mobile and I think the network cannot handle all the devices for internet. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
    I do not use T-Mobile, nor do I live in a state even close to New York, but I’ve heard from some people that T-Mobile has been slowing down a lot, mostly from not keeping up with consumer demand (especially in NYC). They seem to be adding too many users, and not keeping up the network for those users. So, I would say yes, others are more than likely experiencing the same issues you are.
    - Bentley

AT&T's commercial 4G network, with LAA-LTE.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I live in Brooklyn (11224) and work in Manhattan (10016) and i haven't noticed any problems. I'm at work now and streaming Youtube without WiFi and works fine. It could be specific area related.

Feedback Score
    Same issue around Downtown Brooklyn, the network is congested during rush hour and can’t even load google... I guess they need B66 in NYC in order to increase capacity.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyz7365 View Post
    Same issue around Downtown Brooklyn, the network is congested during rush hour and can’t even load google... I guess they need B66 in NYC in order to increase capacity.
    T-Mobile can use various different spectrum allocations for enhancing capacity in the greater New York metro. Unfortunately T-Mobile did not acquire any AWS-3/B66 in that area. So I’m guessing the next big capacity enhancer will be LTE-U/LAA.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    With the crazy promos they are running plus their metropcs 4 lines for $100, things will only get worse if they don't keep up with the demand.

LTE-U/LAA will only be on small/micro cells so it won't have much impact.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What kind of device are you using? I'd expect devices with at least 3x CA to perform decently.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    With the crazy promos they are running plus their metropcs 4 lines for $100, things will only get worse if they don't keep up with the demand.

LTE-U/LAA will only be on small/micro cells so it won't have much impact.
    The metro deals really won't be a problem for congestion. Metro lines are automatically deprioritized to begin with. What makes it harder for Verizon than TMobile is most of Verizon's customers are postpaid users. Verizon has a very small prepaid presence.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    The metro deals really won't be a problem for congestion. Metro lines are automatically deprioritized to begin with. What makes it harder for Verizon than TMobile is most of Verizon's customers are postpaid users. Verizon has a very small prepaid presence.
    A counterpoint: It's chicken and the egg. Sure, the Metro user will get deprioritized during congestion, but they can also be the original cause of that congestion. The fix - deprioritization - is applied only after the problem exists. More traffic, more problems, true for all networks.

Having said that, I certainly agree that deprioritized users are the best ones for a network to have.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    A counterpoint: It's chicken and the egg. Sure, the Metro user will get deprioritized during congestion, but they can also be the original cause of that congestion. The fix - deprioritization - is applied only after the problem exists. More traffic, more problems, true for all networks.

Having said that, I certainly agree that deprioritized users are the best ones for a network to have.
    Good point.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4, iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am in Queens and Manhattan, and this only happens when I end up on Band 12 LTE during peak times. Queensborough Plaza subway platform during evening commute is useless there, while it's fine after 10 PM.

Feedback Score
    Same for queensboro bridge and amc and regal at 42st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    T-Mobile can use various different spectrum allocations for enhancing capacity in the greater New York metro. Unfortunately T-Mobile did not acquire any AWS-3/B66 in that area. So I’m guessing the next big capacity enhancer will be LTE-U/LAA.
    Actually, it may be band-71 that comes to the rescue. There is only one station blocking the NYC metro area and T- Mobile has announced an agreement for them to relocate early.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyTunes View Post
    I am in Queens and Manhattan, and this only happens when I end up on Band 12 LTE during peak times. Queensborough Plaza subway platform during evening commute is useless there, while it's fine after 10 PM.
    In NYC, a phone without CA is like a day without sunshine. You don't want a phone that gets stuck on just band 12.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Pixel 4, iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Actually, it may be band-71 that comes to the rescue. There is only one station blocking the NYC metro area and T- Mobile has announced an agreement for them to relocate early.
    In NYC, a phone without CA is like a day without sunshine. You don't want a phone that gets stuck on just band 12.
    Yes, WWOR (Channel 9) parent company FOX agreed to move it.

Nexus 6P has 2X CA, near work I have hit 90 Mbps down with 43 Mbps up. Queensborough Plaza subway platform is the only area I visit frequently that has the issue.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Note8 And iPhone 6. It's very frustrating.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast