Thread: TELUS' Public Mobile SUCKS, DO NOT EVEN TRY - Caveat Emptor

Feedback Score

TELUS' Public Mobile SUCKS, DO NOT EVEN TRY - Caveat Emptor

I had told myself I would never give money to these ****ers. TELUS already wants extra $$$ on top of the expensive plans to provide customer service at Koodo, but their greed went even further and they have no customer service at all with Public Mobile, other than messaging some Moderator_Team on a forum and waiting for them to reply. Anyway, everybody knows that one already, and that is not the main problem.

The main problem is that Public Mobile's website is ****ed up. Apparently what they did was copy Koodo's Prepaid Self Serve, and when they did that, they made it even more buggy than it already was.

For some stupid reason, I decided to give them a try and activate one SIM Card. When I tried to make the payment to activate the card, it said my credit card was declined. I tried it three times, and then gave up. When I looked at my credit card, I saw that they were able to authorize all three of those transactions, and nothing was actually declined. I thought they were simply pre-authorizations, and would fall off since the activation didn't go through. The next day, I see that all three transactions posted to my credit card account. So, they actually took all that ****ing money and gave nothing in return.

During that time between the failed activation and when I saw the transactions post, I used a different VISA to activate the SIM Card. Then I ported a number from Bell. What happened? The Bell account got cancelled, the number was transferred to TELUS, but it did not get assigned to the Public Mobile account. The number is not in service anymore. It is cancelled. Now I am waiting for these Mods to take their time to give my money and number back so I can port it out right away and take this as a lesson learned.

Summary: TELUS sucks. Koodo sucks even more. Public Mobile is absolute ****.

Feedback Score
    ^Wow, I can't believe this Credit Card Fraud is still Happening. It's been going on since Day one when Public Mobile became a Self Serve company. You will eventually get your money back but imagine if your credit card hit your card limit & because of this Fraud your other PAC Payments get declined & on Top of that your Credit Card may charge you a Fee for going over your limit. I am not sure how these massive corporations get away with this. If I as an individual did what they do, I would be in Jail but these corporations get away with it.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    @jattdesi its not fraud lol

In 5714s case his name + info is flagged in system (see other threads for Koodo/Telus) so I would be willing to bet that is what blocked him
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Feedback Score
    ^All I know is, if I did that over and over to your Credit Card. I would be in Jail. So I call it as I see it. This has been going on for a Long Long time at Public Mobile.
    Last edited by jattdesi; 11-19-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Feedback Score
    Public Mobile does have use of a very good network (Telus) and that is the service's saving grace. I can't speak about this specific case because quite honestly, I have no idea of who 5714 is, nor of the circumstances of these reported credit card and activation issues.

What I can say is that Public Mobile's back-end billing, call routing, and activation systems are woefully broken. Unfortunately, Public Mobile's activation site does have many problems with not charging a customer's credit card, reporting the transaction declined but actually charging it, but then never activating the services. The amount of issues with not being able to make local calls because the system incorrectly thinks that is long distance, texting not working after a trip to the U.S., and of data ceasing to working after a plan renewal are unacceptable. In comparison, Freedom Mobile's billing system, and other back-end software and network setup works like a dream; it's there poor network that is the problem. Public Mobile's problems are of the polar opposite nature.

I find that Public Mobile's customer service is usually pretty good, in the sense of the quality of it. The problem with it is the turnaround time needed to get a response from them and the lack of direct and immediate communication. During peak times, there were instances when you couldn't get a hold of them unless you willing to wait about a week for a response.

Knock on wood, I've been a Public Mobile customer now for more than a year and I have experienced not even one problem. I suspect that most people don't have major service issues either. Otherwise, they wouldn't even have any customers. It's clear that with Public Mobile, any customer who experiences any type of service issues is probably going to have more patience with the company than other carriers, partly because of the online-only customer service, but mainly because of the problematic software system that Public has implemented.

Feedback Score
    ^I agree 100%.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I thought this thread was about how Telus gives network prioritization to it's customers over MVOs like Public Mobile and Koodo, lol.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    When I switch people to Public Mobile I activate a new line with a temporary number, I test the number to make sure all the features (talk/text/data) work, and only once I am happy with the service do I port in a number. That way if there's a problem with setting up the account, you still have your old line to use in the meantime. Even more important, if the number port fails the person should at least have a working phone (even if they're not yet on their preferred number). I recommend this approach to anyone. It's easier to be patient while a moderator fixes the problem if you have useable service during however long the wait is.

Depending on your needs, Public Mobile can be a huge savings. Part of the reason why they can offer better prices is the lack of customer service. Anyone reading the forums here (or the Public Mobile forums) can see that there are sometimes problems porting in numbers, and that it can take a while before it gets sorted out. I would say the caveat emptor piece of the puzzle is to see the risk/reward and to mitigate risk through the suggestion I make here, and other suggestions others are making. If you choose to take the risks, and don't choose to make any effort to mitigate them, then perhaps you shouldn't be surprised. Though it seems like the majority of number port in problems are user error (not saying yours necessarily was).
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Device(s)
    Apple Iphone 3Gs
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I’ve set up 4 lines. 2 new and 2 ports. I’ve had no issue with all 4. I really do enjoy paying almost half price for each line compared to the ridiculous price the other thieves are charging. Been with public for well over a year now and have never had a problem. Sorry to hear you have.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    The issue on Public is usually if activating more than 2 lines and trying to use same credit card to pay for all lines
    System will flag you 99% of the time
    Known issue and discussed to death over on their forums

Better to use different credit card

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    When I switch people to Public Mobile I activate a new line with a temporary number, I test the number to make sure all the features (talk/text/data) work, and only once I am happy with the service do I port in a number. That way if there's a problem with setting up the account, you still have your old line to use in the meantime. Even more important, if the number port fails the person should at least have a working phone (even if they're not yet on their preferred number). I recommend this approach to anyone. It's easier to be patient while a moderator fixes the problem if you have useable service during however long the wait is.

Depending on your needs, Public Mobile can be a huge savings. Part of the reason why they can offer better prices is the lack of customer service. Anyone reading the forums here (or the Public Mobile forums) can see that there are sometimes problems porting in numbers, and that it can take a while before it gets sorted out. I would say the caveat emptor piece of the puzzle is to see the risk/reward and to mitigate risk through the suggestion I make here, and other suggestions others are making. If you choose to take the risks, and don't choose to make any effort to mitigate them, then perhaps you shouldn't be surprised. Though it seems like the majority of number port in problems are user error (not saying yours necessarily was).
    +1. Great advice!

Device(s)
    Asus ZenFone 2 Laser w/LOS14.1
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Chatr, formerly Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry to hear that you have had these issues; in my experience, our two lines with Public switched without issue and have worked without any problems for well over a year now. I would not hesitate to put more lines on Public if the need arose.