Thread: Question on switching phone number (port out/ port in) with single line

Feedback Score

Question on switching phone number (port out/ port in) with single line

I have a single line with Bell which is used mainly for business but also personal calls. I have sold the business and in doing so, must relinquish the phone number to the new business owner. I would like to keep the plan/device I have with Bell and simply provide my account details for the new business owner to port out the number. Once completed, I would like a new number assigned to my line.

Speaking with Bell, I'm advised once a number is ported out, the line is thereby cancelled and cannot be re-activated. I stated there must be a way since you have 90 days to resume service; to which Bell responded, 90 days to resume under the same telephone number. They said if I'm giving someone the number, I'm better off just doing a transfer of responsibility over to the new business owner and setting up from scratch.

My concern with this would be I have a long history with Bell and have perks which are no longer available. I also don't want to set up a whole new account profile from scratch as I have a good rapport with Bell. Am I receiving the correct information? Is there not a way for the port facilitation team at Bell to allow a port and assign a new number for a $35 provisioning fee just like they would do if changing a number?

Feedback Score
    No man, that is how it works, sorry to disappoint you. You sold the business, just move on and transfer the entire line and tenure over to the new guy. Sorry man just accept it and move on in life, no sense trying to jump thru all hoops for something that might not even be technologically possible. just accept your loss, take the money u got for selling ur business and call it a happy day and think positive and move forward.

when my father sold his business, he transferred the landline to the new people and did not think twice, just forget it man and move forward.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    No man, that is how it works, sorry to disappoint you. You sold the business, just move on and transfer the entire line and tenure over to the new guy. Sorry man just accept it and move on in life, no sense trying to jump thru all hoops for something that might not even be technologically possible. just accept your loss, take the money u got for selling ur business and call it a happy day and think positive and move forward.

when my father sold his business, he transferred the landline to the new people and did not think twice, just forget it man and move forward.
    Thanks for the answer. I will just transfer the line over to the new business owner. I just remember talks about people being able to do a number swap etc... Guess rules and policies have changed and that's cool! Thanks for the quick response and I'll just set up new service.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    something that might not even be technologically possible.
    It is very easy to do with any employee who has access to RMS (head office only, not stores) but they stopped doing this a long time ago
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming