Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Great deal on Essential phone...

Feedback Score

Great deal on Essential phone...

If this was already posted then sorry. I'm on the free plan rocking an unlocked s8+. I spend more time worrying about dropping it then enjoying it. Samsung pay is really good but I can live without it.
    Eligible for an upgrade for a month now and have been keeping my eyes open for a deal. The Essential phone is now $25 down and $5 a month on Flex for 18 months. Pay off is $30 to own it outright after 18 months. Total around $150.

Feedback Score
    this is one of the few sprint phones i'd be interested in b/c can't it be completely unlocked to be used on all carriers?
    edit: network compatibility https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essent..._compatibility
    Last edited by Qt0; 11-11-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Feedback Score
    That's a heck of a deal. For some reason people like to crap on the essential but it's a top notch phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    That's a heck of a deal. For some reason people like to crap on the essential but it's a top notch phone.
    I know. I played with it for 30 minutes and it was refreshing to see minimal everything in the software. I love OLED and i thought the screen on it was great. Blacks were really dark. It felt better in the hand than the s8+. I'll read up on more on it at XDA before opening it, but i think it's a direct competitor to the iphone X at a fraction of the cost. Sure it's not water proof and no stereo speakers but no curved screen gimic like the galaxies.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Went for this deal on four out of my five free BYOD lines. Best deal of the year.

Supposedly there's a free camera offer (for the magnetic 360 camera) coming on Black Friday, but I didn't want to wait - I suspect the Flex Lease deal will end on Thanksgiving or Wednesday. The free camera offer probably replaces the Flex Lease deal. Would be stunned if both were offered at the same time.

Still saving one Flex Lease for a future deal on one of my five lines. Probably will be another juicy deal between now and when my free year ends in July... always good to hold onto one reserve line for emergencies.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Feedback Score
    Just did 1 for family. Also curious if the camera deal would be the same time as flex deal...

If phone gets paid off after a week, does that reset your upgrade eligibility?

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boherez View Post
    Just did 1 for family. Also curious if the camera deal would be the same time as flex deal...

If phone gets paid off after a week, does that reset your upgrade eligibility?
    Yes, you can't Flex Lease for 2 years even if you pay off one day later. When you pay off Flex Lease does not impact when you can do another Flex Lease. This is to block people from doing DPP deals round the clock, bankrupting Sprint.

Just my opinion, but I strongly suspect BF prices will be higher than pre-BF and the camera deal may "replace" the pre-BF flash sale price.

Feedback Score
    Got a shipping delay email....

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint is locking this phone (even previously unlocked ones). Now the phone is not worth a damn.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SDKLFJdo3wwd View Post
    Sprint is locking this phone (even previously unlocked ones). Now the phone is not worth a damn.
    Well of course they are, all carriers lock their devices they sell as carrier branded phones, except Verizon which agreed to sell their postpaid phones unlocked to get their band 13 licenses. You expected a carrier to lease you a device and it was carrier unlocked? C'mon. If you want an unlocked device, don't buy one from a carrier. Why would Sprint lease you a phone that's unlocked so you can take it anywhere you want. The whole point of them offering a lease and offering a cheap deal on that lease is to use it with Sprint service.

Feedback Score
    True. But once paid off they shouldn't have a problem unlocking it.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    This. I paid mine off day one. You do have to keep it active for 50 days on a Sprint account though before requesting an unlock.

Feedback Score
    They will likely have some sort of waiting time if paid off asap. Again this is done to protect themselves some. If you buy a device from the carrier and pay it all up front or pay it all off within a month, you still would have some sort of service requirement to meet before being unlocked. The previous poster says it's 50 days which about matches T-Mobiles 40 or 45. If someone doesn't want to follow that just don't buy a device from a carrier. A carrier isn't in the business to sell someone a device (especially if it's at a discount or a special price) to just be taken to another provider. So they require some sort of service requirement. The easiest way to avoid that is again, if your only plan is to buy the device to use somewhere else, just don't buy the device from a carrier.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    They will likely have some sort of waiting time if paid off asap. Again this is done to protect themselves some. If you buy a device from the carrier and pay it all up front or pay it all off within a month, you still would have some sort of service requirement to meet before being unlocked. The previous poster says it's 50 days which about matches T-Mobiles 40 or 45. If someone doesn't want to follow that just don't buy a device from a carrier. A carrier isn't in the business to sell someone a device (especially if it's at a discount or a special price) to just be taken to another provider. So they require some sort of service requirement. The easiest way to avoid that is again, if your only plan is to buy the device to use somewhere else, just don't buy the device from a carrier.
    A quick something search of "Sprint Unlock Policy" will confirm it's 50 days (active) and the device must be paid off. You can move it to a different account, like a free BYOD year plan. I have done that with an iPhone SE earlier this year (my BYOD lines weren't yet eligible for a Flex Lease, so I used someone else's account with their permission). After 50 days even on the BYOD plan (after I paid off Flex Lease on a different account) they unlocked it fully.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    A quick something search of "Sprint Unlock Policy" will confirm it's 50 days (active) and the device must be paid off. You can move it to a different account, like a free BYOD year plan. I have done that with an iPhone SE earlier this year (my BYOD lines weren't yet eligible for a Flex Lease, so I used someone else's account with their permission). After 50 days even on the BYOD plan (after I paid off Flex Lease on a different account) they unlocked it fully.
    50 days ain't bad. It's about the same as Tmobiles policy. TMobile is 40 or 45 I can't remember which one but it's one of those. If someone's goal is to buy a device and take it elsewhere it depends on how much of a savings you are getting on the device whether or not it's worth buying it from a carrier over buying it elsewhere.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast