Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: For anyone having trouble connecting to the LTE Network Extender...

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Today I noticed my LTE Network Extender (version 1) is now running on 3.1.1.0. Has anyone noticed a difference in performance lately. I also checked the extender management page and didnít notice any new features or options. If I connect to it without WiFi and run a speed test they are the same as before.

Anyone have an idea on whatís difference or added. The one thing I hate about the extender is that if I unplug it or reset my router mid call it will drop vs if I make a call on the extender and leave it will hand the call over to the macro network. (And yes I do get some LTE signal in my house)

I really do want to just get rid of it and use WiFi calling but the calls just sound so crappy to me over WiFi vs the extender plus if I donít use the extender my signal just bounces all day and crushes my battery.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

SMS Text

Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Good question. I originally had high hopes for WiFi calling but it didn't turn out to be the panacea I had hoped for.
    Sorry for the late followup to this post. I agree with your description -- basically boils down to LTE extender more reliable than WiFi calling.

I'd like to add that SMS text doesn't deliver over wifi, even with wifi calling enabled. If you depend on SMS text (i.e. part of on-call duties for work, or other) then you need a solution that includes handling text.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I agree with that. WiFi calling is a great way to fill the gaps or deal with coverage while traveling but not for every day use. For me I have noticed my WiFi calls to sound choppy and crackly.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So for the last few weeks I noticed my calls were starting to sound crappy and tin like over the extender. The tech had me trouble shoot it but it sounded worse afterward. Itís weird sometimes calls sound horrible and drop every other word some calls sound ok. They are replacing it under warranty with version 2 so hopefully that resolved the issue.

On a side note when he was troubleshooting it the extender reverted back to band 13 which kind of sucks. Iím not even going to bother having them fix it Iím just going to deal with it till I get the new one.

Feedback Score
    Itís best to use WiFi calling and forget about the network extender.

Feedback Score
    I went through a painful 1 hour long chat followed by a 20 minute talk with CSR and tier 2 to get them to open an NRB network ticket. Finally got switched from band 13 to band 4 with NO change in speed. I was getting 60s mbps on band 13 and get about the same now on band 4 - WTH? Granted the iphone 6s does not have band 66 but essential ph1 does and still can't seem to crack above 69 mbps. I have a gigabit pipe, so there is plenty of bandwidth.

Anyone getting more than 69 mbps with 4g lte extender 2? Anyone able to get carrier aggregation to work or use the full 20x20?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ymarker View Post
    I went through a painful 1 hour long chat followed by a 20 minute talk with CSR and tier 2 to get them to open an NRB network ticket. Finally got switched from band 13 to band 4 with NO change in speed. I was getting 60s mbps on band 13 and get about the same now on band 4 - WTH? Granted the iphone 6s does not have band 66 but essential ph1 does and still can't seem to crack above 69 mbps. I have a gigabit pipe, so there is plenty of bandwidth.

Anyone getting more than 69 mbps with 4g lte extender 2? Anyone able to get carrier aggregation to work or use the full 20x20?
    That what I cap out to as well on my iPhone 8. Although itís capable of 20x20 I think they internally cap it somehow although I donít know whyÖ. Just a fair warning I think every time they put out a software update it converts back to band 13.

The only reason that Iím shocked that they cap the speeds is because itís open to anyone that can connect to it. I know I would be pissed if my neighbor had one and the speeds were capped at 5 and I was stuck at connecting to it because itís the strongest signal. It wouldnít be as big of a deal if CA was enabled but some how I think itís disabled. Regardless of how fast or slow the macro network is I never get above 69 on the extender. Also my ping is still around 80-90 when connected to the extender.

Also it may be possible that they are turning on features over time but who knows. It seems like the extender is capable of a lot more then they allow it to be

Feedback Score
    Yeah what's with the high ping. I get ping of 57 and jitter of 8.8. Hopefully my plan to use the extender instead of wifi calling would still work.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My ISP is Comcast (gig download and 40 upload) and hardwired my ping is 6-8 so I was assuming my ping with the extender should be in the 40ís but it has always been in the 80ís. I will say the call clarity with extender version 2 is very clear and seems better than version 1. Itís also IMO much clearer than wi-fi calling.

It does appear that The extender has 2 internal antennas and it is capable of 2x2 MIMO but Verizon has it set to 1x1. If that is the case then that would explain the speeds. 20mhz at 64 qam is only capable of 75Mbps DL I believe. If it was 2x2 it could hit in the 150ís. The speeds arenít symmetrical though as I canít get past 15-20 up.

And yes I know the extender wasnít designed for data speed it was intended for call coverage but I was curious on how well it can perform.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I'm curious why anyone would need to use the extender for data? The extender requires high speed internet which means you likely have WiFi. So why wouldn't you just use WiFi for data vs. the extender?

Feedback Score
    I'm curious why anyone would need to use the extender for data? The extender requires high speed internet which means you likely have WiFi. So why wouldn't you just use WiFi for data vs. the extender?
    I need it as a substitute for wifi calling and not necessarily data but the tinkerer inside me wants to optimize.

I have unlocked phones that are compatible with verizon but not purchased from verizon or are apple | google phones - meaning they won't support wifi calling and visual voicemail. Also pre-ordered the galaxy s9 and s9+ unlocked from samsung and this will likely have the same issue of no wifi calling and visual voicemail unless one considers flashing the verizon firmware.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just tested mine cause I was curious as well. I do use WiFi for the data and the extender for calls. I can definitely tell a difference in call quality between the extender and WiFi calling.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah what's with the high ping. I get ping of 57 and jitter of 8.8. Hopefully my plan to use the extender instead of wifi calling would still work.
    My ping is still Around 90. I still have No clue why itís so high. Hardwired I get around 6ms on Comcast so I know itís not the connection. Iím guessing itís how Verizon routes the extender onto their network. I would assume the lower the ping the better the Calls sound. I did ask a Verizon rep what the ideal ping speeds were but they didnít have an answer.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I need it as a substitute for wifi calling and not necessarily data but the tinkerer inside me wants to optimize.

I have unlocked phones that are compatible with verizon but not purchased from verizon or are apple | google phones - meaning they won't support wifi calling and visual voicemail. Also pre-ordered the galaxy s9 and s9+ unlocked from samsung and this will likely have the same issue of no wifi calling and visual voicemail unless one considers flashing the verizon firmware.
    I wasn't asking why you aren't using WiFi calling. WiFi calling has issues. I get that and have experienced issues with WiFi calling myself.

I was wondering why you would need to use data on the extender when you have WiFi available for data? As in, turn off WiFi calling, use the extender for voice calls and join the WiFi network so that all data goes through WiFi.

Feedback Score
    I wasn't asking why you aren't using WiFi calling. WiFi calling has issues. I get that and have experienced issues with WiFi calling myself.

I was wondering why you would need to use data on the extender when you have WiFi available for data? As in, turn off WiFi calling, use the extender for voice calls and join the WiFi network so that all data goes through WiFi.
    Not really using data, but using the data stats as a proxy for voice quality as it related to ping/latency and jitter for wifi calling. Admitted a poor proxy but in the absence of known QoS stats internally it's all I have to go on.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast