Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Enhanced Voice Services (EVS)

Feedback Score

Enhanced Voice Services (EVS)

The iPhone 8/8+/X supports EVS which is supported by T-mobile, but not my carrier, Verizon. Does anyone know when Verizon will upgrade to EVS to support the newest iPhones?

Verizon mentions 5G on their website, but no mention of EVS.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I doubt anyone on these forums has any insight for you, unfortunately. I can’t imagine it’s something they’re very concerned about at this time.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    EVS is a Superwide Audio Band technology (up to 22KHz).
    HD Voice on Verizon is a Wideband Audio technology (greater than 7KHz).

Enable HD Voice and move on.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    I've had HD Voice enabled since it was released for iPhone.

For my work, I need high quality voice and EVS also provides better packet management than HD Voice for fewer dropped calls and sound quality.

I already get 50 Mbit/sec download, 20 Mbit/sec upload in NYC where there are many, many cell phones. Voice quality is important.

Since Apple provides EVS on iPhone 8/8+/X, and since T-mobile has provided EVS for a year, I would hope that Verizon would prioritize the EVS.

Who would know when Verizon is turning on EVS?

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidf18 View Post
    I've had HD Voice enabled since it was released for iPhone.

For my work, I need high quality voice and EVS also provides better packet management than HD Voice for fewer dropped calls and sound quality.

I already get 50 Mbit/sec download, 20 Mbit/sec upload in NYC where there are many, many cell phones. Voice quality is important.

Since Apple provides EVS on iPhone 8/8+/X, and since T-mobile has provided EVS for a year, I would hope that Verizon would prioritize the EVS.

Who would know when Verizon is turning on EVS?
    I would contact Verizon about it. No one here will know their future plans in this area.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, but I did contact Verizon and they could not tell me.

Verizon talks about 5G deployment on their website (why is this important?), but does not mention the EVS support.

Thanks.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Verizon talks about 5G deployment on their website (why is this important?), but does not mention the EVS support.

Thanks.
    I don't know why they don't discuss EVS. T-Mobile is the only carrier that has it, though. 5G is something completely different, and very important for the future. It's also a future profit center, I assume that's why they talk about it all the time. Gig speeds for use in home internet is sexier to talk about than an incremental improvement in voice quality, I guess. Marketing people, right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I don't know why they don't discuss EVS. T-Mobile is the only carrier that has it, though. 5G is something completely different, and very important for the future. It's also a future profit center, I assume that's why they talk about it all the time. Gig speeds for use in home internet is sexier to talk about than an incremental improvement in voice quality, I guess. Marketing people, right?
    Functionally, the higher download speeds don't really add anything. 50 Mbits/sec download is sufficient, not certain why one would need more.

But, improved voice quality is something that is important to professionals as well as older people who have trouble hearing.

From the Verizon perspective squeezing more data on the same amount of bandwidth is important for profitability, but I don't see how it makes any difference whatsoever to the customer.

These are the listed advantages of EVS (eg, T-Mobile) over HD Voice (eg, Verizon).

"First, EVS improves voice call reliability in areas of weaker signal, which means the rare dropped call on LTE will happen even less frequently.

Second, EVS provides even higher-fidelity calls than the HD Voice we were the very first in the US to introduce back in 2013. EVS does this with a broader audio frequency range, which translates to richer, more realistic-sounding voice audio.

Third, EVS delivers all this more of the time and in more places. EVS works whether you're on Wi-Fi or the T-Mobile LTE network."

https://www.androidcentral.com/t-mob...reliable-calls

Feedback Score
    In all fairness for discussion sake.....for high quality calls, I generally err on the side of being plugged into a hardline phone...whether it be on a [email protected] office running G711 codec.....etc. Hell, I would still choose a *digital PBX* enabled phone versus a voip PBX phone in the office. I can hear a difference.

DavidF brings up a good point re: HD Voice. Not that was really on my radar on testing/confirming voice quality on a mobile handset ! I never really approached voice quality reception like that on a mobile device. Now I will be testing with HD on / off....

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Contact one of the Vice Presidents.

http://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/executive-bios

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Before switching to Verizon from att a few months ago I did try t-mobile and the clairity of t-mobile EVS calls compared Verizon or ATT HD voice is definitely noticeable. I wish Verizon would consider enabling EVS over HD calling.

Feedback Score
    Verizon has EVS live in the network.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rldg View Post
    Verizon has EVS live in the network.
    That's the second place I've heard this today. Do you have a source/link? I'd like to read about the area of deployment.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks! I'll read up!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast