Thread: Moto z play2

Feedback Score

Moto z play2

If I purchased an unlocked Moto Z play 2 in the usa will it work on bell mobility in Canada ? It says on the website unlocked for all usa carriers. Its around $400 usd there. Its $799.99 at bell

Device(s)
    Huawei P20 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agarn View Post
    If I purchased an unlocked Moto Z play 2 in the usa will it work on bell mobility in Canada ? It says on the website unlocked for all usa carriers. Its around $400 usd there. Its $799.99 at bell
    Just make sure that the version you're buying is compatible with the networks.

You'll miss out on some Network optimizations and probably have slightly worse battery life.

Also updates will roll out differently.

However, it's a much better price! So it's probably worth it.

I would, however, check on Kijiji and eBay in your area for new or used prices.
    People fight too much on this forum. Can't we all just be friends?

Feedback Score
    @sabvers
    What optimizations are you referring to?
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Huawei P20 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    @sabvers
    What optimizations are you referring to?
    They optimize each phone to the network it is meant to be on. For example, freedom mobile phones need to know what is away and what is home - which frequency to use, which not to use, and when.

I don't know the exact details, but a phone meant for T-Mobile is going to act like a phone meant for T-Mobile even if you use it on Freedom Mobile. This means the phone is going to be looking for networks that Freedom doesn't have - wasting battery.

Feedback Score
    Hmmm, Home and Away should be programmed in the SIM. It's defined in HPLMN and EHPLMN. See here for more info:
    http://www.sharetechnote.com/html/Ha...utoManual.html

Frequency scanning is part of the measurement control instructions sent from the network to the phone. If the network doesn't tell the phone to scan a certain frequency, it won't do so unless it completely loses coverage.

Other than specific features like VoLTE or VoWiFi, I'm not aware of other meaningful reasons for carrier customized software.

Device(s)
    Huawei P20 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Hmmm, Home and Away should be programmed in the SIM. It's defined in HPLMN and EHPLMN. See here for more info:
    http://www.sharetechnote.com/html/Ha...utoManual.html

Frequency scanning is part of the measurement control instructions sent from the network to the phone. If the network doesn't tell the phone to scan a certain frequency, it won't do so unless it completely loses coverage.

Other than specific features like VoLTE or VoWiFi, I'm not aware of other meaningful reasons for carrier customized software.
    For me, when I bought a T-Mobile phone, it would always pull on frequencies wind did not have. Further, I could not just restrict the phone to wcdma (when WIND was.. Well WIND) because of carrier customizations to the phone.

Perhaps now it's not as bad, but even while roaming on other networks (in the US or Europe) with my current Z Play there are problems with battery life.

Feedback Score
    I think those were band restrictions implemented in the phone's software to prevent certain frequencies from being used. T-Mobile essentially crippled the phone so it wouldn't work well on other operators.

I know I'm dwelling on semantics here, but there's no optimization to improve performance for T-Mobile. There's just degradation to reduce performance for non-T-Mobile networks.

Anyway, back on topic...
    @agarn, do you have a link to the phone specs?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. Here is the link. https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-z-play-gen-2

Feedback Score
    It will work just fine on Bell. Just don't buy the "Verizon-exclusive" version.

carrier versions

Available in an unlocked version for major U.S. carriers like Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile. Also available as a Verizon-exclusive.

network bands

CDMA (850, 1900 MHz)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 38, 41, 66)
    Bell uses the following bands.
    UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 1900 MHz)
    LTE B2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 29

LTE B66 will come in the next few years as well.

Feedback Score
    Very good info....Thanks !!!