Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon brings back full-quality video streaming for $10 more

Feedback Score
    I think you're underestimating the number of people using public transport.

I think I get what you're saying though TV only has shows that are watchable (gah daytime television) during those few hours before bed and after work and the morning news programs.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    I think you're underestimating the number of people using public transport.

I think I get what you're saying though TV only has shows that are watchable (gah daytime television) during those few hours before bed and after work and the morning news programs.
    Gah, what's that?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I kind of view it as a new form of bundling in a way. Separate certain things and then charge for them as an extra. Even the att time deal is viewed as a potential opening for more bundling so things will get interesting and most likely more expensive

Feedback Score
    Just a sound
    gah
    An interjection denoting frustration and/or excitement.
    Gah! I scored only 95 on my last science exam. They'll never let me back into the science club again.
    (blatantly stolen from urban dictionary)

There are a ton of acronyms flying around here so I understand the confusion.

ATSC (the current version anyway) handles mobile use very poorly and even if it worked there are only a few hours a day when it's not all soaps and infomercials still I think plenty of people would be happy to watch the morning or evening news on their way to or from work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    If the sim is in a smartphone that is serving as a mobile hotspot, will video that is being streamed from a computer (Netflix, Hulu) also be throttled if the computer is connected to that hotspot?
    Yes, the only way to avoid the video throttle is to use a VPN.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Agree that 720p is more than sufficient on a phone (and probably good enough for an iPad for most people). The people who need more resolution must be tethering their phones and using them to watch movies on larger screens or something. I guess they've never heard of WiFi.
    Or they live in rural areas where they can't get a wired ISP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Where are you getting your facts from? In my market they basically smoke every other carrier, in speed, density, and reliability.
    What market? AT&T is "smoked" by Verizon your market?

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    Or they live in rural areas where they can't get a wired ISP.
    Not Verizon’s or any carriers problem. If they are impacting thin rural cellular bandwidth resources, any company has the obligation to other customers to control that. Or are these customers more entitled than others, in your worldview?
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score
    What market? AT&T is "smoked" by Verizon your market?
    I'm not sure where he's at but here in the ft Myers Southwest Florida area Verizon is far better than att. I personally don't have skin in the game as I don't use either carrier, but know plenty of people on both and it's not even close. Rootmetrics backs this up with their findings for this area also. So i can believe that in his area Verizon may be a lot better than att.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    I'm not sure where he's at but here in the ft Myers Southwest Florida area Verizon is far better than att.
    I was there on business not too long ago and IME Verizon was not that good there compared to AT&T. On Verizon I was mostly on Band 13 and it was very slow. There was a mall where we couldn't even get LTE inside of a restaurant on Verizon. I was on Band 4 outside of the restaurant and it was fine then inside was on Band 13 but it kept dropping down to 3G, which on Verizon is horribly slow. Also, we were inside of a hospital on business and those with AT&T had a good signal and I couldn't even receive calls on Verizon.

The people on AT&T had faster data than I had and it seems like AT&T has a lot of spectrum in Fort Myers. I know they have Cellular A, Band 17, Band 5 and Band 30 there. So I guess it just matters where in SWFL you are then because where I was, those with AT&T had better performance than I had on Verizon. Verizon has Cellular B, Band 13 and Band 4 there but I found myself on Band 13 most times and it was slow. Worse yet, I would drop down to Verizon's pathetic 3G network in some spots, which is just awful.

Probably also matters what kind of phone you have. We all have either Galaxy S8s or iPhone 7s so we have all of the bands for both AT&T and Verizon on our phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    Not Verizon’s or any carriers problem.
    What does that have to do with the comment I was responding to? Nothing at all. The person I was responding to said people who watch video on phones have never heard of WiFi as if everyone lives somewhere that you can get a wired ISP.

No one is talking about this being a carrier's "problem" but you. And you aren't making any sense given the comment I was responding to.

Feedback Score
    I was there on business not too long ago and IME Verizon was not that good there compared to AT&T. On Verizon I was mostly on Band 13 and it was very slow. There was a mall where we couldn't even get LTE inside of a restaurant on Verizon. I was on Band 4 outside of the restaurant and it was fine then inside was on Band 13 but it kept dropping down to 3G, which on Verizon is horribly slow. Also, we were inside of a hospital on business and those with AT&T had a good signal and I couldn't even receive calls on Verizon.

The people on AT&T had faster data than I had and it seems like AT&T has a lot of spectrum in Fort Myers. I know they have Cellular A, Band 17, Band 5 and Band 30 there. So I guess it just matters where in SWFL you are then because where I was, those with AT&T had better performance than I had on Verizon. Verizon has Cellular B, Band 13 and Band 4 there but I found myself on Band 13 most times and it was slow.

Probably also matters what kind of phone you have. We all have either Galaxy S8s or iPhone 7s so we have all of the bands for both AT&T and Verizon on our phones.
    Maybe. But att is notorious around here for dropping calls, slow data, etc. So maybe you got to be in that one area where it performed well. Not sure why you were parked on 13 the whole time as they have 4 and 2 deployed heavily all throughout the Marco/Naples/ fort Myers/ cape Coral/ Bonita springs/ estero/ San Carlos/ and Lehigh acres area. Not sure why it was bad for you but that's definitely not the experience most have down here. Also down here time of year can play a factor, during the summer we are home to around 4 million full time residents, but during the winter that number can triple. So maybe you were here during a busy time. This is definitely a strong Verizon area customer wise so I can see congestion maybe being an issue during our season.

If I was going to leave TMobile for any carrier it would easily be verizon. In terms of sheer performance Verizon outperforms TMobile here also, what keeps me with TMobile is all the extra little perks I've picked up for free along the way.
    Last edited by ksych1; 10-28-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Feedback Score
    Not sure why you were parked on 13 the whole time as they have 4 and 2 deployed heavily all throughout the Marco/Naples/ fort Myers/ cape Coral/ Bonita springs/ estero/ San Carlos/ and Lehigh acres area.
    I was on either Band 13 or Band 4, never saw Band 2. I wasn't in Marco/Naples/Bonita Springs/Cape Coral or Lehigh, but I was in the Fort Myers/Estero areas. Pretty much the whole way from downtown Fort Myers to Estero on US 41 and also east to the airport.

So maybe you were here during a busy time.
    I was most recently there in August. But I have been there other times too.

Feedback Score
    If I was going to leave TMobile for any carrier it would easily be verizon. In terms of shear performance Verizon outperforms TMobile here also, what keeps me with TMobile is all the extra little perks I've picked up for free along the way.
    Does TMobile have Band 12 there? If not, I don't see how you can be on TMobile, it's unusable indoors without Band 12. I have no doubt that Verizon outperforms TMobile there if there is no Band 12.

Feedback Score
    Does TMobile have Band 12 there? If not, I don't see how you can be on TMobile, it's unusable indoors without Band 12. I have no doubt that Verizon outperforms TMobile there if there is no Band 12.
    Yup, TMobile is pretty decent here. They run 20x20 channels of band 2 and 4 and a 5x5 block of 12. You do still have some trouble areas around here with tmobile( Marco island, inland Bonita, Lehigh are the main ones) but it is light years ahead of where it was just a few years ago. Id honestly say it's a solid number 2 provider here. Customer wise it's easily 3rd, I'm definitely still a minority around here on TMobile, but it's not bad at all here honestly.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast