Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon brings back full-quality video streaming for $10 more

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    It's all about ARPU. The best plans are gone. Verizon's was the 12+2GB, AT&T's the 15/20GB MSV, and T-Mobile's the 6GB per line that didn't count video and audio.

This is a useful tool for restricting the bandwidth used. Data networks were simply not made for streaming video at all, much less 1080p and 4k video, which is completely useless on a phone. The Go Unlimited Plan is crippled, and Verizon should be ashamed of it, because of the built-in depri, which is unique amongst all the carriers. The additional MHS and lack of depri makes the Beyond Unlimited the best choice, but even 720p is really not needed on a phone.

I have a metered AT&T plan, and they turned on their stream saver thing to stream at 480p automatically. I could turn it off, since I'm metered, but I don't, as 480p is more than enough for streaming on a phone, and it uses less data, doesn't chew through as much battery, and keeps the phone cooler. If you want to watch 4k video, do it in your living room.

It's all an ARPU game. They can make more money selling you Unlimited since it *seems* like a better value, even though it's actually worse than their old 12+2GB plan, which was the best offered, like AT&T's 15/20GB MSV plan. The prices have gone up, while creating the illusion of "value".

This in turn has created massive bloat on websites and apps so everything uses WAY more mobile data than it should, and thus pay per MB schemes like Google Fi aren't a good deal anymore. It's unfortunate, as the mobile web and apps are now a bloated mess, and some apps, like Snapchat, won't even run on a 128kbps connection. We'd be much better off if every app and mobile web page were designed for a 128kbps connection with heavy compression, then faster connections would just be gravy. 4G LTE is important for spectral efficiency, and low latency is great, but we really have no use for more than the bandwidth of a 2G connection except for bloat.
    It's rare that I agree with 100% of what someone says. But every word of this is gospel. Phones are not televisions. Sure, it's useful to bring up a web clip for a laugh or something, but it's lousy for long form entertainment. The carriers now cater to this unneeded feature, in order to upsell. Who cares if it hurts the network? It makes us a buck today, and that's all we care about.

The tiered plans were/are the best. Not only do you save money, but you're encouraged (with your wallet) to conserve a limited resource. Granted, it's getting less limited all the time, but we're clearly not there yet. 12+2 was the best plan VZW ever had, as far as I am aware. I liked the idea of a modest data increase with each additional line, along with a shared pool.

With unlimited plans, we get "features" we never wanted: like the carriers telling you how you can use your data. That's even worse when you're paying for each GB you use. This should be stopped. If we didn't have unlimited plans, we probably never would have had that "feature."

Feedback Score
    Zero rating was a thing before the new style unlimited plans were a thing. Had we not gotten unlimited plans we would still have the issue that some services would be zero rated and have unlimited data on limited plans while others wouldn't.

Imho the the tiered plans safety mode ought to be upgraded to the 600kbps.

No they aren't televisions but they could have been if mobile use hadn't been crippled by the ATSC switchover.

There is still constant discussion about dropping wireline services and replacing them all with cellular/wireless service on the carrier side.

It's something they want to do it's just they don't want to offer it.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post

Imho the the tiered plans safety mode ought to be upgraded to the 600kbps.

Yes. And it would cost them almost nothing to do it. Heck, even 300k would be fine. Once you run out of data, you obviously won't be watching video and the service will be noticeably sluggish, but everything would still work. The hogs can pay whatever extortion the carrier wants to charge for unlimited (and expect it to keep going up and up), the rest of us can enjoy reliable service at a cost-effective price.

Feedback Score
    Verizon thinks they can get away with bs fees. They brainwash people into thinking they have the best network (they don't), thinking they have the fastest speed (once again they don't) and thinking there's no other option (there is).

Crazy that people put up with Verizon and believe them hook line and sinker

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    Verizon thinks they can get away with bs fees. They brainwash people into thinking they have the best network (they don't), thinking they have the fastest speed (once again they don't) and thinking there's no other option (there is).

10 dollars for hd video is exactly what TMobile charges for the same thing. Every carrier markets that they are the best, every carrier charges extra for certain items, so you can insert the name of every carrier into your post and it would be just as true. If you are going to blast one carrier for doing it, gotta blast em all, or it comes across as trolling and intentionally looking for an argument in another carriers forum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post

Where are you getting your facts from? In my market they basically smoke every other carrier, in speed, density, and reliability.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    10 dollars for hd video is exactly what TMobile charges for the same thing. Every carrier markets that they are the best, every carrier charges extra for certain items, so you can insert the name of every carrier into your post and it would be just as true. If you are going to blast one carrier for doing it, gotta blast em all, or it comes across as trolling and intentionally looking for an argument in another carriers forum.
    The one thing I like to see from this plan is if Verizon completely lifts the throttling. If they don’t then it’s a ripoff imo. T-Mobile’s HD streaming plan is NOT capped , and AT&T gives you the option to disable it.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Where are you getting your facts from? In my market they basically smoke every other carrier, in speed, density, and reliability.
    What he’s saying is, Verizon doesn’t work great in every market. Mine for example, they’re extremely far behind. I can relate. Nationally, yes they are ahead. But market-to-market varies a lot.
    - Bentley

AT&T's commercial 4G network, with LAA-LTE.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    What he’s saying is, Verizon doesn’t work great in every market. Mine for example, they’re extremely far behind. I can relate. Nationally, yes they are ahead. But market-to-market varies a lot.
    As does every carrier, so his rant makes no sense, no matter how many ways it get posted.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    You nailed it and I totally agree . It’s a market by market basis

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    That's why I say location matters. In the spots I go to most att was excellent, now it really struggles so not sure what happened. A few miles down the road it's better so location really makes a huge difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    That's why I say location matters. In the spots I go to most att was excellent, now it really struggles so not sure what happened. A few miles down the road it's better so location really makes a huge difference.
    Maybe congestion?

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    It's rare that I agree with 100% of what someone says. But every word of this is gospel.
    Thanks!

Phones are not televisions. Sure, it's useful to bring up a web clip for a laugh or something, but it's lousy for long form entertainment. The carriers now cater to this unneeded feature, in order to upsell. Who cares if it hurts the network? It makes us a buck today, and that's all we care about.
    Yup, pretty much. Video has also bloated a lot. For a short funny/goofy clip, I used to be able to stream YouTube over EDGE. Yes, I could stream YouTube on EDGE on my Nokia E71. Now it's using far more bandwidth- to what end? It's on a tiny screen anyway.

The tiered plans were/are the best. Not only do you save money, but you're encouraged (with your wallet) to conserve a limited resource. Granted, it's getting less limited all the time, but we're clearly not there yet. 12+2 was the best plan VZW ever had, as far as I am aware. I liked the idea of a modest data increase with each additional line, along with a shared pool.
    The tiered plans work well for most, but the overage fees were total BS. Throttling is the right way to do it, with an option to buy more data, as then no surprise bills, but it still keeps a strong incentive to conserve data consumption. Unfortunately, we've gotten into a cycle with mobile content and advertising where more people have bigger data plans, so sites and apps use more data, so people have to get bigger/Unlimited data plans, and around we go. This has made a service like Google Fi impractical, as sites and apps are so bloated now. I often have a gig or two of Chrome/web usage on my phone just from reading the news, which is basically just text. Almost all of that bloat is annoying ads that are using up a bunch of bandwidth, when low resolution or text based ads would do the trick just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    No they aren't televisions but they could have been if mobile use hadn't been crippled by the ATSC switchover.
    People watch a LOT of network TV (it is declining, but they still watch a lot), but I'm not convinced that network TV fits the timing or use case for mobile, even for the people who do watch video on mobile, which makes no sense to me for more than the audio of it (like news while driving), or a short clip here or there.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    Maybe congestion?
    Could be. In some spots att kills it and is flawless. Had a tower down not too long ago and it took them forever to fix it. Seems like the gave up in some ways.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Unfortunately, we've gotten into a cycle with mobile content and advertising where more people have bigger data plans, so sites and apps use more data, so people have to get bigger/Unlimited data plans, and around we go. This has made a service like Google Fi impractical, as sites and apps are so bloated now. I often have a gig or two of Chrome/web usage on my phone just from reading the news, which is basically just text. Almost all of that bloat is annoying ads that are using up a bunch of bandwidth, when low resolution or text based ads would do the trick just fine.
    Some apps let you prevent images from loading on websites to save data and battery life, such as iCabMobile (browser) and Purify (content blocker).

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast