Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon brings back full-quality video streaming for $10 more

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We can thank T-Mobile for this one!!

The “UnCarrier” set the precedence that it was ok to bill data by its content!!

Of course any smart company will figure out the best ways to monetize from this type of BS. Can’t blame Verizon for that!

Feedback Score

Verizon brings back full-quality video streaming for $10 more

Quote Originally Posted by Krystals View Post
    So are you seeing reduced speeds too?
    I just got into the 24gb plan and was told it is not going to be throttled. Only the unlimited plans are.
    Thank You.
    Yes Everyone is being throttled for video regardless of what plan you’re on.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    That would explain the frequent buffering I'm seeing when I set YouTube to 1080 or 1440 on cellular, even on a LTE connection running at 120/50, I'm not happy about this for sure. I'm on the February Unlimited Plan.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I guess on one hand its nice to have an option but on the other hand having to pay more for it stinks. This is one feature that should be included with what people are already paying. Reminds me of when you had to pay $20 for unlimited text. Just another bundle type mentality to up the revenue

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    That would explain the frequent buffering I'm seeing when I set YouTube to 1080 or 1440 on cellular, even on a LTE connection running at 120/50, I'm not happy about this for sure. I'm on the February Unlimited Plan.
    Totally agree . At least with AT&T you have the option of turning it off. Verizon should implement the same option ...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Totally agree . At least with AT&T you have the option of turning it off. Verizon should implement the same option.
    Exactly! This Verizon method feels like extortion, pay up or else

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Use a VPN. I personally like VyprVPN the best, since it doesn't slow down my speeds much, and its Chameleon mode circumvents attempts to block VPN connections.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malcomlittle View Post
    You can thank the FCC!
    FCC? What's the problem with the FCC? Don't you know that the "president" is the hero of working people by letting corporations do whatever the hell they want?
    ---
    Cellular One (AT&T), Sprint, now Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mreg45 View Post
    FCC? What's the problem with the FCC? Don't you know that the "president" is the hero of working people by letting corporations do whatever the hell they want?
    It's probably not a good idea to get into politics here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mreg45 View Post
    The boards have been peaceful so no politics

Feedback Score
    Exactly! This Verizon method feels like extortion, pay up or else
    Hoping someone can answer.....I have a legacy SMARTPHONE unlimited data plan that I've had since around 2010. Pricing is cheaper than the plans they offer now, so I am keeping it for the time being.

I primarily use it just for data.

If the sim is in a smartphone that is serving as a mobile hotspot, will video that is being streamed from a computer (Netflix, Hulu) also be throttled if the computer is connected to that hotspot?

If so, I assume that I can either pay $10 or run a VPN on the smartphone that is serving as the hotspot for the computer. If my sim is in a jetpack, I really wouldn't be able to run a VPN, so I am assuming paying the $10 fee would be the only option....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Use a VPN. I personally like VyprVPN the best, since it doesn't slow down my speeds much, and its Chameleon mode circumvents attempts to block VPN connections.
    Thanks! I'm trying it out now. It is faster than most others, and I like the Chameleon mode a lot, though it still cuts my speeds quite a bit, my Comcast Blast 150/10 (provisioned 180/12) gets cut down from 180/13 to 15-20/12, and Verizon LTE gets cut from 40-120 down/20-50 up to 10-20 down/5-10 up. That said, at $80 a year, it's still FAR cheaper than paying Verizon $10 more a line each month, and those speeds, while slowed are still enough to stream HD and above with.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    It's all about ARPU. The best plans are gone. Verizon's was the 12+2GB, AT&T's the 15/20GB MSV, and T-Mobile's the 6GB per line that didn't count video and audio.

This is a useful tool for restricting the bandwidth used. Data networks were simply not made for streaming video at all, much less 1080p and 4k video, which is completely useless on a phone. The Go Unlimited Plan is crippled, and Verizon should be ashamed of it, because of the built-in depri, which is unique amongst all the carriers. The additional MHS and lack of depri makes the Beyond Unlimited the best choice, but even 720p is really not needed on a phone.

I have a metered AT&T plan, and they turned on their stream saver thing to stream at 480p automatically. I could turn it off, since I'm metered, but I don't, as 480p is more than enough for streaming on a phone, and it uses less data, doesn't chew through as much battery, and keeps the phone cooler. If you want to watch 4k video, do it in your living room.

It's all an ARPU game. They can make more money selling you Unlimited since it *seems* like a better value, even though it's actually worse than their old 12+2GB plan, which was the best offered, like AT&T's 15/20GB MSV plan. The prices have gone up, while creating the illusion of "value".

This in turn has created massive bloat on websites and apps so everything uses WAY more mobile data than it should, and thus pay per MB schemes like Google Fi aren't a good deal anymore. It's unfortunate, as the mobile web and apps are now a bloated mess, and some apps, like Snapchat, won't even run on a 128kbps connection. We'd be much better off if every app and mobile web page were designed for a 128kbps connection with heavy compression, then faster connections would just be gravy. 4G LTE is important for spectral efficiency, and low latency is great, but we really have no use for more than the bandwidth of a 2G connection except for bloat.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    It's all about ARPU. The best plans are gone. Verizon's was the 12+2GB, AT&T's the 15/20GB MSV, and T-Mobile's the 6GB per line that didn't count video and audio.

This is a useful tool for restricting the bandwidth used. Data networks were simply not made for streaming video at all, much less 1080p and 4k video, which is completely useless on a phone. The Go Unlimited Plan is crippled, and Verizon should be ashamed of it, because of the built-in depri, which is unique amongst all the carriers. The additional MHS and lack of depri makes the Beyond Unlimited the best choice, but even 720p is really not needed on a phone.

I have a metered AT&T plan, and they turned on their stream saver thing to stream at 480p automatically. I could turn it off, since I'm metered, but I don't, as 480p is more than enough for streaming on a phone, and it uses less data, doesn't chew through as much battery, and keeps the phone cooler. If you want to watch 4k video, do it in your living room.
    Agree that 720p is more than sufficient on a phone (and probably good enough for an iPad for most people). The people who need more resolution must be tethering their phones and using them to watch movies on larger screens or something. I guess they've never heard of WiFi.

Feedback Score
    It would be a blantant violation of net neutrality anyways if they did anything but that.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast