Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Shaw changes the course of Freedom

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darn View Post
    Agreed! Shaw has a network and flagship devices to pay for and support. Their new plans are higher than previous offers but still better value than the big 3. Shaw’s possible downfall will be if they cannot support/ maintain a high grade LTE network and increased $$$ with flagship devices. Success/ failure is all in their court.
    Not necessarily better value than Big3 flanker brands like Public Mobile though. Obviously not everyone knows about Public, but for those that do it's a lot of value on a drastically larger network. There are some scenarios where Freedom's plans are better than Public depending on exactly what you need, but only if a significant drop in network size is acceptable in exchange. Comparing current in-market plans, and comparing networks, I think it's now very hard to recommend Freedom over Public for those willing to go BYOD.
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    Lol, no parent ever?
    Said who?
    Having close contacts within the wireless industry, I strongly disagree.
    I worked over a decade in the industry
    Actually in it as in a head office role
    Spoke to far more stores and clients than you probably ever will

Even in spoiled rich kid land (eg Woodbridge or North Van) no underage kid is going to pay Freedom (Wind) that kind of dough
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    Oh-oh.

The reddit reaction.

Financial Post fluff piece misleading
    This fluff piece in the Financial Post clearly misleads users by suggesting freedoms $50 "big gig" plan includes nationwide calling. This smells like someone at the Financial Post was nudged by someone at Shaw to write this horse ****.
    Same thing happened when they ran the BS story about Freedom LTE speeds being better than big3
    Afterwards it was proven that the network was not even live and they fudged the numbers

Freedom been investing heavily in reporters the past year

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Any Freedom Employees here? Curious, a few weeks later now, how the customer takeup of these new plans has been?

Up until the new plans I was recommending Freedom to others once a week or so, but since the changeover...not once. I refuse to recommend a plan where people are going to get the data they want, but have to pay for talk, which I still find patently ridiculous, and the bigger plans are just not price competitive anymore to what people can get via their existing Big3 carrier with some coaching on massaging retentions.

That, and the roaming allotment cuts are also a show stopper for me. 1 Gig works fine for most casual users, but 250mb is just dumb.
    HoFo'er for 14 years and counting.

Quality, Not Quantity.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB). iPad 6th Generation (2018) (128GB).
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper99 View Post
    Any Freedom Employees here? Curious, a few weeks later now, how the customer takeup of these new plans has been?

Up until the new plans I was recommending Freedom to others once a week or so, but since the changeover...not once. I refuse to recommend a plan where people are going to get the data they want, but have to pay for talk, which I still find patently ridiculous, and the bigger plans are just not price competitive anymore to what people can get via their existing Big3 carrier with some coaching on massaging retentions.

That, and the roaming allotment cuts are also a show stopper for me. 1 Gig works fine for most casual users, but 250mb is just dumb.
    Like I said before, Whatsapp, Skype and Facetime can get around this limitation. Skype especially. I can readd my phone number in Skype and make phone calls using my data bucket all I want and skip Freedom altogether. I'm starting to use the audio portion of Facetime to do this as well (for my contacts that have iPhones). If VoLTE comes online, and you decide to make a call, this should count against the data draw. Not a voice draw. Having Freedom charge you for voice is ridiculous.

Same thing with the 250MB limit on Away data. Really ridiculous. What smart idiot over at Shaw dreamed this up while swigging from a bottle of Seagrams?

I agree with you.

Sure you get buckets of data, but paying for voice is ridiculous.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    VoIP solutions are great....for the technically savvy who are willing to do that. A good majority of people (both young, and especially old) are not willing to do this- they want to just be able to make a phone call on their cellphone like a regular phone call, using the dialer.

Secondly, with small roaming data buckets, this just potentially adds further pressure on the already now even more anemic allotments.

Lastly, VoLTE with any other carrier counts as minutes, not data, so I expect Freedom will bill it the same. Add to that the confusion factor for the average consumer (face it, many wouldn't be able to even identify if they were on VoLTE or not, much less even understand the difference) it's not a solution in the end.

Yeah, I agree...too many pitfalls in the end, hence why I'm not recommending them anymore. Now when a friend/family member complains about their cellphone plan with a Big3 carrier, I coach them through how to call retentions and get a better deal that way vs even considering telling them to switch. There's just not enough positives anymore.

Carrier(s)
    Public / Freedom / T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Great analysis on the FP article... it doesn't look like the the author checks her facts before writing the article.

Just vote with your wallet...the new plans are weak and they are clawing back minutes.... VOIP is not as reliable as pure voice calls. As other stated it is not competitive with the flanker brands at this point.

If Shaw finds the demand to be minimal you can bet they will rework the plans. I hope they remove the bait and switch pricing... $XX for this many months and then jack up the rates / reduce data bucket afterwards. Standard operating procedure for Shaw.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score

Update!

Mr Shaw Goes to Market
    Going forward Shaw will have to make an effort to correct the excesses of this campaign...

There are obvious options available... People would much rather believe in Freedom.
    • Bonus data on all plans is now permanent.
    • Maximum tab discounts are available to $50+ plans.*
    • Plans page displays Everywhere along with the data-only plans.

Welcome back Mr Shaw.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-and-devices/plans
    https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-a...mobile-devices

--
    * on most devices ($1100 and under)
    https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-a...details/lg-v30
    https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-a...galaxy-s8-plus
    Last edited by pjw918; 11-17-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    • The bonus data on all Big Gig plans is now permanent.
    • Maximum device discount is now tied to $50+ plans, not $90.
    • The default plans page now displays the Everywhere plans along with the data-only Big Gig plans.

Welcome back Mr Shaw!

https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-and-devices/plans
    https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-a...mobile-devices
    Number 2 is incorrect. Max discount on a Note 8 requires a $90 per month minimum plan.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jt325i View Post
    Max discount on a Note 8 requires a $90 per month minimum plan.
    Thanks, post updated.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, post updated.
    I wish it were $0 on a $50 plan. The sale they have going on now it is down to $100 + $35 a month. When it first came out it was $460 + $35 for 2 years though.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus, Apple iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakz View Post
    Before the holiday would be amazing for Freedom and customers but I doubt it. I'm guessing early 2018 for a few reasons.

1. iPhone X supply will need to improve.
    2. Additional spectrum will need to be deployed. Not only for the network and influx of customers, but Apple likely will want Freedom to carry the older phones in the line up as well (7, 7 Plus, SE, maybe 6S as well) which don't have band 66.
    3. Additional time to get IMS services like VoLTE and perhaps Wi-Fi Calling going. Shouldn't be too difficult because all iPhones 6(+) and newer all use the same implementation.
    Guess I was wrong. Good job Freedom. iPhone X supply clearly better than anticipated. Kinda right about the spectrum, 6 though 7 Plus launching only in western Canada where they'll work on LTE. Not sure if Wi-Fi calling or VoLTE will work day one.

Even iPhone X (64 and 256GB) will be available for $0

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4