Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: Are you worried about the future of Boost Mobile?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    72
    Feedback Score
    0
    I hope you're right. I'm grandfathered in to the old pay as you go plan which I really like. I just hope I get to keep it after merger.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    881
    Feedback Score
    0
    If the merger is approved I think what will make a difference is what conditions are required such as selling boost to make a 4th carrier that has its own spectrum.

    If they approve the merger with few conditions then I expect prices to go up immediately for new customers and existing customers eventually.

    I would be worried about losing my current plan because I have a promo plan that is cheaper.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,011
    Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    If the merger is approved I think what will make a difference is what conditions are required such as selling boost to make a 4th carrier that has its own spectrum.

    If they approve the merger with few conditions then I expect prices to go up immediately for new customers and existing customers eventually.

    I would be worried about losing my current plan because I have a promo plan that is cheaper.
    From what has been reported, Boost will be sold to Dish, with the idea that Dish will become the 4th national network. I'm guessing little will change immediately, since Boost will continue to be hosted on the Sprint (and eventually T-Mobile) network, the terms I've seen state that Dish must be hosted by T-Mobile for seven years.

    In the longer term, I guess we'll see what Dish ends up doing -- and what partner they may bring in, as they are rumored to do. It would seem smart, to me, to keep Boost mostly "as is," as an MVNO and build a separate postpaid division.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    881
    Feedback Score
    0
    https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/201...ger-could.html

    Sprint and t-mobile say they need to merge to compete.

    But dish thinks it can compete and will be smaller than sprint and t-mobile.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dish_Network

    Dish is a satellite TV company and also owns sling TV so I assume they are going to try and force TV service with their plans at a higher cost.

    I don't want to pay extra for TV service on my phone. I have an unlimited plan on boost now and can watch unlimited TV on the internet for free on websites like youtube and others without a subscription to a pay TV service like sling TV.

    If I wanted to pay for internet TV I would probable get netflix or amazon prime.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    881
    Feedback Score
    0
    Justice Department has approved T-Mobile / Sprint merger

    https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/26/...nt-of-justice/

    "The companies will have to sell the prepaid parts of Sprint's business -- Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Sprint prepaid -- to Dish, while that company will gain certain spectrum assets."

    It sounds like Sprint is forced to sell Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Sprint prepaid so all of its prepaid but T-mobile gets to keep all of its prepaid.

    "The merger isn't done and dusted quite yet. The Justice Department's proposed settlement is open to public comment for 60 days. Meanwhile, the department's antitrust division, along with five state attorney general offices (Nebraska, Kansas, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Dakota) have filed a lawsuit to block the proposed merger."

    The merger still might not happen but it looks likely it will now.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,909
    Feedback Score
    0
    The possible fate of Boost is in limbo until the federal court case for the merger is decided, which may be in the next month. If the merger is blocked, the sale of Boost to Dish Network may not happen. Sprint will then need to do some drastic things because of it's awful financial situation. One of these might be a pull back to smaller better paying markets...not a national network anymore. That would be a big coverage issue for both Sprint and Boost.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,326
    Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    0
    The roaming agreement with T-Mobile will stay in place if the merger gets blocked. I don't know how things are now, but I know a couple of years ago market managers were working with some of the larger store owners to look as busy as possible and try to give themselves some leverage when the merger gets pushed through. I don't think that will work in the long run. If Dish gets Boost and keeps all of the existing stores, they can pay out less than what Sprint currently offers to Boost dealers because they know that a lot of these stores are in areas close to existing Cricket or Metro stores, so they can't threaten to switch their doors to another carrier. Either way, Boost will live on. But what kind of coverage and plans they will offer will be interesting to see.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,909
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    The roaming agreement with T-Mobile will stay in place if the merger gets blocked.
    It was part of the merger approval negotiations with FCC/DOJ, that a sale of Boost to Dish required T-Mobile to provide carrier access for some time to allow Dish to build out their own network. If the merger does not go through, and Sprint goes into bankruptcy, not sure what agreements will hold. I don't see how Sprint based phones could roam on T-Mobile anyway, as they are incompatible networks.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    511
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    It was part of the merger approval negotiations with FCC/DOJ, that a sale of Boost to Dish required T-Mobile to provide carrier access for some time to allow Dish to build out their own network. If the merger does not go through, and Sprint goes into bankruptcy, not sure what agreements will hold. I don't see how Sprint based phones could roam on T-Mobile anyway, as they are incompatible networks.
    This only applies to the 3g and 1x networks. LTE is LTE and they are compatible with each other, VOLTE also is compatible between carriers for roaming. Most modern sprint/boost devices support T-Mobile’s bands 2,4 and 12 and would/will roam just fine on T-Mobile. The roaming agreement sprint has in place with T-Mobile would stay if the merger is blocked, it was a 7 year agreement I believe signed before the merger, and wasn’t contingent on the merger passing. The dish sale though is contingent on the merger passing, and if it is passed boost will become a T-Mobile mvno until builds out their own network, if it is not passed they will remain a sprint owned subsidiary. As far as bankruptcy, sprint has not said this is part of their plans if the merger fails, what they said could be though is they may sell spectrum and leave some markets and become more of a regional carrier.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,909
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    As far as bankruptcy, sprint has not said this is part of their plans if the merger fails, what they said could be though is they may sell spectrum and leave some markets and become more of a regional carrier.
    Being a "regional carrier" has a lot of skeptics. Depending on the area, that could put a lot of people out of service on Sprint/Boost, and the MVNOs. Sprint would have to sell off a lot to make up for the present debt load that is propped up by a lot of "junk" bonds. Then there is how SoftBank would view this.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    511
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Being a "regional carrier" has a lot of skeptics. Depending on the area, that could put a lot of people out of service on Sprint/Boost, and the MVNOs. Sprint would have to sell off a lot to make up for the present debt load that is propped up by a lot of "junk" bonds. Then there is how SoftBank would view this.
    Not sure how many would be left without service, sprint, and especially boosts, market share are centered in urban areas where sprint provides the best coverage. Most of their users are not in smaller areas. Especially with boost and mvnos offering no data roaming at all.

    Junk bonds in themselves aren’t a huge issue, they do generally have a high yield. The issue becomes if they default. I mean Tesla is viewed as a “junk bond” right now. I think people hear the term and think negatively towards them.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,909
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Not sure how many would be left without service, sprint, and especially boosts, market share are centered in urban areas where sprint provides the best coverage. Most of their users are not in smaller areas. Especially with boost and mvnos offering no data roaming at all.
    It's the smaller areas I am concerned about. Don't give a darn about the urban areas, and only go there for the shopping on occasion. My area is on the fringe of Sprint coverage, and T-Mobile is even worse. Many have come up here from the urban areas, to find their phone service can often be poor. I am going to advise those on the Sprint network to make sure their phones are unlocked, so that they can get them on another carrier.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    511
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    It's the smaller areas I am concerned about. Don't give a darn about the urban areas, and only go there for the shopping on occasion. My area is on the fringe of Sprint coverage, and T-Mobile is even worse. Many have come up here from the urban areas, to find their phone service can often be poor. I am going to advise those on the Sprint network to make sure their phones are unlocked, so that they can get them on another carrier.
    Then that depends. Let's use your area for example. Let's call it area A. Let's say they want to sell off spectrum in area A. Now, I'll assume area A isn't lit up with band 41 so it's likely PCS and 800 only there. Bands 25 and 26, not sure anyone would be too interested in buying those, it's sprints band 41 licenses that are valuable, not their PCS and 800 holdings. But let's say they sell off their PCS and 800 in area A, who bought it?

    If they hold band 41 holdings in area A, yet it Isn't even deployed there, or deployed very sparingly, then why would it matter if they sold it? They'd still hold and use their PCS and 800 spectrum there. So, it depends on what they do.


    If I was a boost customer and I lived in an area like yours, I'd be more worried about if the merger passes than if it failed. If it passes dish will be turning boost into a TMobile MVNO almost asap, so if Sprint works there, and TMobile doesn't, it becomes an issue for those people.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 02-09-2020 at 04:49 AM.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,909
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    If I was a boost customer and I lived in an area like yours, I'd be more worried about if the merger passes than if it failed. If it passes dish will be turning boost into a TMobile MVNO almost asap, so if Sprint works there, and TMobile doesn't, it becomes an issue for those people.
    That is the situation here, that Sprint coverage is reasonable and T-Mobile is awful. T-Mo opened a store in town a couple of years ago, which surprised me. Their coverage craps out just a couple of miles outside of town.I don't know anybody using Boost now, and only a few directly on Sprint. Nearest stores for either are 40+miles away after Radio Shack folded. This is very much a Verizon area.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,909
    Feedback Score
    0
    There is a preliminary announcement in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal of the Sprint/T-Mobile merger being approved by the Federal court. Official announcement on Tuesday. There is mention of some conditions by the court, but no details yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Future Of Boost Mobile
    By rebelde96st in forum Boost Mobile
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
  2. worrying about the future of my w800i joystick-gaming
    By rabitootoo in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 10:19 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 12:57 PM
  4. Do you know about the history of CDMA?
    By TeknoRaver in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-14-2003, 10:03 PM
  5. Curious about the future of plans
    By timhorton1998 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-09-2002, 10:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks