Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Was hoping windows would make a comeback

Device(s)
    Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    3rd party developers is the issue. Most of them have jumped ship and are no longer putting out any updates.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    At the moment we are in limbo. We know the end is coming but for now everything still works. A week back I was pushed an update on my idol 4s, and I currently have the release candidate for the Fall Creator's Update on my Fierce XL. Both work seemingly well with no difficulties. All my apps continue to work without problem. As long as the apps continue to work, I will continue using the phone. Microsoft has committed to updating/bug fixing the anniversary update until fall 2018, and the Creator's update until Spring 2019. I have never kept a phone that long, so for me, it should be no problem. No problem as long as the apps continue to work, and the problem may come down to if 3rd party devs update their apps. Sigh, this is like the end of symbian all over again
    Last edited by mrcamp; 10-24-2017 at 08:23 AM.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
    3rd party developers is the issue. Most of them have jumped ship and are no longer putting out any updates.
    Not enough potential customers and the developers lose interest. Not enough apps, and the customers won't come. Kind of hard to get into the market in that world.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I bought a 650DS for $99CAD just to try the OS out. Despite its meagre specs it ran smoothly and never gave me any trouble. When I saw the recent Microsoft sale on the Idol 4s I jumped on it and never regretted it. I can't say that W10 is my favourite OS but it's certainly better than the other options out there: it's far more logical than Android and not as Proprietary as iOS but the current Windows Store is horrendously vacant, even BB10 was/is better for apps. Anyhow, it was a worthy competitor that got awfully overlooked but I guess we just have to count our lucky stars that Microsoft is willing to continue with maintenance and security updates for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my Leap using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Originally Posted by mrcamp
    Not enough potential customers and the developers lose interest. Not enough apps, and the customers won't come. Kind of hard to get into the market in that world.
    Microsoft seemed to hitch Windows Phone to Windows 10 just in time for the world to stop caring about desktop OSes. I liked their idea of writing essentially one app that could then work on mobile devices as well as a desktop (so long as it didn’t turn the mobile device into a shrunken PC and the PC into an enormous phone screen). But making that the unique sales proposition for Windows Phone didn't drive sales. Microsoft's "we're-in-this-no-we're-not" level of commitment didn't help.

In the meantime, Apple has been winning all the money and Google has been winning all the users. Maybe if the world cared more about Windows, Windows Phone would have taken off. Instead, as cyberstoic put it, it's like watching Symbian die all over again.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveinmn View Post
    Microsoft seemed to hitch Windows Phone to Windows 10 just in time for the world to stop caring about desktop OSes. I liked their idea of writing essentially one app that could then work on mobile devices as well as a desktop (so long as it didn’t turn the mobile device into a shrunken PC and the PC into an enormous phone screen). But making that the unique sales proposition for Windows Phone didn't drive sales. Microsoft's "we're-in-this-no-we're-not" level of commitment didn't help.

In the meantime, Apple has been winning all the money and Google has been winning all the users. Maybe if the world cared more about Windows, Windows Phone would have taken off. Instead, as cyberstoic put it, it's like watching Symbian die all over again.

Lol, for me it's even more tragic. I went from Symbian on my N8 to Meego on My N9. I got to watch symbian apps break one by one as the api's changed and services and apps no longer worked. The N9 was abandoned so fast you might have thought Meego was stillborn. It was a sad time. The only Windows 10 mobile app that I currently have that no longer works is the NHK World Japan TV app that broke with the Anniversary Update. Other than that, all my 3rd party apps still work on my Idol 4S and my Fierce XL. Hopefully it will remain so.

For me, I have gone back and forth from Windows Phone to android, but I never liked android much. I admit it has gotten smoother and less buggy to the point where it works well, but I just don't like it. And I despise google sucking up all your personal life like a Hoover. Oh well, as long as this phone works, I will keep using it.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    And I despise google sucking up all your personal life like a Hoover. Oh well, as long as this phone works, I will keep using it.
    I nursed a Nokia E-series phone all the way through the end of Symbian support and then some because, for me, the only other choice was iOS. Android as an OS is okay, but, yeah, I don't want to be Google's product and I don't like how Android-phone manufacturers introduce thousands of phones and then leave most of them to sit with no future support. (OTOH Microsoft orphaned more than a few themselves.) So I waited until I could afford an iPhone. I even toyed with the idea of buying a newer Nokia phone (like a Nuron) to just keep going a little while longer but that was just postponing the inevitable.

The silver lining, I guess, is that there's really little left to break since little will be changed until Microsoft pulls the plug officially in a couple of years. In a sense, it gives you a more stable platform since nothing will change on the apps short of shutting down servers and services. And just think of all the money you'll save not buying apps and upgrades.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveinmn View Post
    I nursed a Nokia E-series phone all the way through the end of Symbian support and then some because, for me, the only other choice was iOS. Android as an OS is okay, but, yeah, I don't want to be Google's product and I don't like how Android-phone manufacturers introduce thousands of phones and then leave most of them to sit with no future support. (OTOH Microsoft orphaned more than a few themselves.) So I waited until I could afford an iPhone. I even toyed with the idea of buying a newer Nokia phone (like a Nuron) to just keep going a little while longer but that was just postponing the inevitable.

The silver lining, I guess, is that there's really little left to break since little will be changed until Microsoft pulls the plug officially in a couple of years. In a sense, it gives you a more stable platform since nothing will change on the apps short of shutting down servers and services. And just think of all the money you'll save not buying apps and upgrades.
    Well at this point, the IDOL 4s is working perfectly and is a great device. Lots of memory, fast, and beautiful screen. I have a Fierce XL as a backup. Not as fast and definitely not a pretty screen (everything is washed out even to my color blind eyes), but it works well. Eventually I am probably going to have to go back to android. Maybe by then the company building the open source secure Linux phone will have product and I can go that way.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I switched from WP to Android for a few months, but got so sick of Android, I switched back. After having every conceivable app available on Android, I realized I just wasn't using that many of them! For the apps that don't have a WP version (or a decent 3rd-party equivalent), I tend to get by with the mobile website, or I can use the stupidest "hack" in the world- I have a cheap ZTE Zmax 2 GoPhone at home plugged in and connected to WiFi. It's running TeamViewer Host (a remote desktop app).

With TeamViewer, I can remote into the Zmax from any PC or my Windows Phone running TeamViewer Remote Control (the Remote app controls any TeamViewer "host" device logged into the same account). This brings the display of the Zmax up on my Lumia, and let's me control it by touch. This gets me access to any Android app on the Zmax in a pinch.

Obviously, any app I need to access the Android device physically won't work this way (e.g. bank apps that do mobile deposit via photo, NFC stuff, maps or location-based apps that need to be located where I am physically, etc.) but once in a blue moon when the app is easier to use than a website (like my grocery store digital coupon app), I can remote in and "run" it on my Windows phone.

TeamViewer is free for personal use, (though it's big bucks for business use.) I also use it to connect to my home PC from my Windows Phones (it's easier to set up and more reliable than MS' Remote Desktop.)
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I switched from WP to Android for a few months, but got so sick of Android, I switched back. After having every conceivable app available on Android, I realized I just wasn't using that many of them! For the apps that don't have a WP version (or a decent 3rd-party equivalent), I tend to get by with the mobile website, or I can use the stupidest "hack" in the world- I have a cheap ZTE Zmax 2 GoPhone at home plugged in and connected to WiFi. It's running TeamViewer Host (a remote desktop app).

With TeamViewer, I can remote into the Zmax from any PC or my Windows Phone running TeamViewer Remote Control (the Remote app controls any TeamViewer "host" device logged into the same account). This brings the display of the Zmax up on my Lumia, and let's me control it by touch. This gets me access to any Android app on the Zmax in a pinch.

Obviously, any app I need to access the Android device physically won't work this way (e.g. bank apps that do mobile deposit via photo, NFC stuff, maps or location-based apps that need to be located where I am physically, etc.) but once in a blue moon when the app is easier to use than a website (like my grocery store digital coupon app), I can remote in and "run" it on my Windows phone.

TeamViewer is free for personal use, (though it's big bucks for business use.) I also use it to connect to my home PC from my Windows Phones (it's easier to set up and more reliable than MS' Remote Desktop.)
    Seems like this setup works for you. Unfortunately, majority cannot manage with the lack of apps. And they have moved on. The missing or non-functional apps (financial institutions, entertainment, voip, kids schools, etc.) are just way too much for me to deal with. I honestly cannot be functional without those apps. Most people access the internet via their phones these days. With a market share of less than 1%, I am sure the app issue is one of the major reasons for that.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I understand completely. WP isn't going to work for most people because of the app gap, but I enjoy the UI and native apps (Outlook Mobile and Cortana, especially) enough to be willing to work around the missing apps.

For example, my bank, Wells Fargo killed their WP app shortly before I switched back, making me think twice before jumping back to WP. But the more I thought about it, I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I actually made a mobile deposit anywhere other than *in my house*, so why did my phone need that ability, when I have a Android tablet, and a junk drawer full of perfectly working Android phones (currently without phone service) that I could use to make deposits at home?

At least in Wells Fargo's case, other than not having mobile deposits, the mobile website is identical to the app, as are the mobile sites for many seemingly indispensable apps. When GasBuddy finally ended support for their not-updated-in-years WP app, I realized their mobile website looked (and functioned!) more like their iOS/Android apps than their WP7-era WP app did!

As far as entertainment apps, WP fortunately has most of the apps I need (official Netflix, Pandora, and Hulu, plus third-party apps for SiriusXM, Google Play Music, Amazon Prime Music, YouTube, etc.), and thanks to the iPhone's role in destroying Adobe Flash, I'm constantly amazed by the number of entertainment websites that stream video in a mobile browser (Vudu, Pandora, SiriusXM, etc.)

So, yeah, WP certainly isn't for everyone, but I'm willing to ride it out until the bitter end!

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Is the hofo windows app officially gone? Had to wipe my old Windows phone and started to use it again and didn't see the app at all in the store

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Is the hofo windows app officially gone? Had to wipe my old Windows phone and started to use it again and didn't see the app at all in the store
    It may be. I just checked and it's not there.

Sent from my Z958 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    What got me to use Windows phone again is how the battery life is so much better. I like the interface also. For me a smaller battery on a windows phone seems to last way longer when compared to a bigger Android phone even with a little more usage on the windows phone

My next Android phone (if I get one)will have to have a big battery that's for sure

Feedback Score
    I asked Frail here last year when I got a Lumia 640 XL and could not find it and he said that HoFo is no longer supported on Windows phone.
    Unfortunate since I really love Windows phone and more and more apps are not being supported anymore.
    I have the web version of HoFo saved on my Windows phones but it is clumsy and awkward to use.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Was hoping windows would make a comeback

What got me to use Windows phone again is how the battery life is so much better. I like the interface also. For me a smaller battery on a windows phone seems to last way longer when compared to a bigger Android phone even with a little more usage on the windows phone

My next Android phone (if I get one)will have to have a big battery that's for sure
    Battery life has always been a weakness with android. FWIW Oreo does make standby time somewhat better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast