Thread: Will Apple Watch S3 use HSPA?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB (Qualcomm)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Will Apple Watch S3 use HSPA?

Noticed the new Apple Watch included UMTS alongside LTE. I’m wondering if this means it will work on HSPA. That would be great for those of us in B5 LTE areas where HSPA has better reception.
    Current Device: Silver 256 GB iPhone X
    Carrier: AT&T

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility & Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justinkk2005 View Post
    Noticed the new Apple Watch included UMTS alongside LTE. I’m wondering if this means it will work on HSPA. That would be great for those of us in B5 LTE areas where HSPA has better reception.
    Right now I am assuming it will support the following bands for LTE: 2, 4, 5 and 12. It seems 850 (B5) and 1900 (B2) for UMTS.
    - Bentley

AT&T's commercial 4G network, with LAA-LTE.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1505398852.316753.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  75.2 KB straight from apples website, pretty amazing all the bands and filters crammed into such a small space.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So 850 mhz HSPA will work? If so, WIN!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I assume this is part of the ongoing stiff-it-to-Qualcomm?

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    I assume this is part of the ongoing stiff-it-to-Qualcomm?
    How so? Even if they wanted to, there's no way they could stuff all the crap for CDMA into a watch, and not have the thing run out of battery way too quickly. Nor is there much reason to, other than to support Sprint. Verizon's network is entirely covered by LTE now. Not sure why anybody cares about HSPA+ at this point, but sure, it supports it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    How so? Even if they wanted to, there's no way they could stuff all the crap for CDMA into a watch, and not have the thing run out of battery way too quickly. Nor is there much reason to, other than to support Sprint. Verizon's network is entirely covered by LTE now. Not sure why anybody cares about HSPA+ at this point, but sure, it supports it.
    I care about HSPA+ because B5 LTE is all that is in my area and HSPA travels much further and penetrates buildings better. So that’s why.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    AT&T still has tons of areas with HSPA+ so it's probably important for users on their network. And I have to disagree about Verizon's network being "entirely covered" by LTE. That's what their map might say but I have friends on Verizon that are constantly complaining about only having 3G or it dropping to 3G whenever they try and load a webpage etc. I understand why Apple didn't support CDMA with the Watch 3 but it will make for a spotty experience for some people on Verizon and probably most people on Sprint.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    AT&T still has tons of areas with HSPA+ so it's probably important for users on their network. And I have to disagree about Verizon's network being "entirely covered" by LTE. That's what their map might say but I have friends on Verizon that are constantly complaining about only having 3G or it dropping to 3G whenever they try and load a webpage etc. I understand why Apple didn't support CDMA with the Watch 3 but it will make for a spotty experience for some people on Verizon and probably most people on Sprint.
    Yes. I see 3G on my Verizon devices fairly routinely. The coverage maps say solid LTE, but coverage maps tend to be overly optimistic.

In my experience, losing LTE signal is far less common on my AT&T and T-mobile devices, at least near where and I live and where I travel.

Sprint loses LTE even more often than VZW, at least where I live/travel, etc
    Last edited by mch; 09-25-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie