Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Android for US use...but also works on 4G in the UK?

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post
    Folks...I've got two lines on the 5+ but will soon be going to the United Kingdom. Does anyone around here have knowledge of a phone that can work on 4G both in the US and the UK? I'd like for it to be T-Mobile based, as they're my provider here. Over there, we may be on TMo or O2.

And if this needs to go in another area, please someone tell me that as well!

Any help at ALL will be more than appreciated!
    If you stay on T-Mobile, I presume you'll roam on Three, as T-Mobile is their roaming partner in the US. They primarily use Band 3 (1800) as they have 10 Mhz of Band 3, but also have 5 MHz of Band 20 (800). Without Band 20 you'll be fine most everywhere except perhaps in very subterranean places.

If you go to O2, then it's the opposite -- they have only 5 MHz of Band 3 and 10MHz of Band 20. So for them, I'd be more hesitant if your device didn't have Band 20.

Do keep in mind if you'll be in major cities, then their cell sites are very dense -- most people come back from Europe amazed at how good the coverage is nearly everywhere, then they drive around the USA and really start complaining about our coverage.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    The Oneplus 5 has:
    FDD LTE: Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/29/30/66
    TDD LTE: Band 38/39/40/41
    and is dual SIM.

But for T-mobile, the up and coming Band 71 would be nice to have. Nothing supports it yet though.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    If you stay on T-Mobile, I presume you'll roam on Three, as T-Mobile is their roaming partner in the US.
    No EE as they were once T-Mo and even some of their phone builds are still internally listed as TMO-GB. I was there in July. The phone rarely picked anyone else.
    You can follow me on Twitter @jamssx

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, Jamssx for that info. EE is similar in configuration to Three -- lots of Band 3 with 5mhz of Band 20.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well , just to confuse things further, while my wife and I are on TMo here in the US, I was hoping to use Truphone while I was in the UK. Here are their requirements from an email I was sent from them...

3G bands: 900MHz, 2100MHz
    4G bands: Band20-800MHz, Band3-1800MHz

If this proves too much, then both of us would stay on TMo, but Truphone's talk is so cheap, it's hard to pass up. And my wife doesn't talk more than 20 minutes a month, but wants all the data she can get.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Using the GSMarena.com Phone Finder tool I come up with 58 phones that meet those criteria.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I really, really, want to thank everyone here. Between this thread, some additional research on my own, and GSM Arena, I think I finally have a grip on what I need. FWIW, as it turns out my wife's iPhone 6 (which I detest) seems to fit the bill perfectly. The GSM Arena search has come up with nine good choices. I think I'm well on my way to a phone that will work for both TMo and AT&T here (should the need arise), yet completely cover me in the UK and most of Europe...and isn't an iPhone .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post
    I really, really, want to thank everyone here. Between this thread, some additional research on my own, and GSM Arena, I think I finally have a grip on what I need. FWIW, as it turns out my wife's iPhone 6 (which I detest) seems to fit the bill perfectly. The GSM Arena search has come up with nine good choices. I think I'm well on my way to a phone that will work for both TMo and AT&T here (should the need arise), yet completely cover me in the UK and most of Europe...and isn't an iPhone .
    Cool, let us know what you get, and how it works out!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, after looking at every kind of phone on Earth (well, almost!) I find myself with the boring choice of the LG V20 or the Galaxy S7.

Sigh. And I was hoping for something exotic.

They have the same coverage:
    Quad Band GSM
    LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 20, 66
    UMTS: Band I (2100), Band II (1900), Band IV (1700/2100), Band V (850)

But neither has band 8 for the UK, which limits them a bit on Vodaphone or O2 2g/3g. TMo is at $480 on both phones, but is BOGO on the V20. Yes, I know I'll probably need a spare V20 if it starts bootlooping like my G4 did. It's made TWO trips already to LG for a new motherboard and it's only 18 months old.

But I"ve always liked the LG screens over Samsung and have a higher comfort level with them. This isn't to start a discussion comparing those two phones here, but I guess it's nice to find something a bit...common...that should work over there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2