Thread: Phone Recommendations

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Phone Recommendations

Hi Everyone,

I need a new phone to replace my oldish iPhone 5 and thinking of purchasing a flagship android device. I would appreciate any suggestions for a new phone (prefer a 5 inch display).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Feedback Score
    The Google Pixel is about your only option if you want Android. All the other Android phones will be much larger than 5".

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctechogirl View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I need a new phone to replace my oldish iPhone 5 and thinking of purchasing a flagship android device. I would appreciate any suggestions for a new phone (prefer a 5 inch display).

Don't count out the S8. It's super thin and narrow negating some of the issues people have with larger screens.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you are looking for a decent deal. LG g6 is a poor mans S8.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Don't count out the S8. It's super thin and narrow negating some of the issues people have with larger screens.
    Definitely agree. The S8 is amazing OP! If you are willing to use a larger phone then the S8 is definitely one to consider.

Feedback Score
    I have an iPhone 7 that drops a lot of volte calls where I live and has a weak indoor signal. I recently got the S8 and not one drop. Too, the earpiece audio is louder for me. Works amazing on the network.

Feedback Score
    I'll vote S8, if you're OK with larger then S8 plus.

But your main issue would be escaping the Apple eco system gravity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If you can hold out a bit longer, T-Mobile will be introducing new phones with band-71 (600 MHz) compatibility. They've just introduced the first but it's a flagship device and quite spendy. If you buy a new phone now, you'll just need a another new phone within a year.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctechogirl View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Is your 5 inch display preference because you don't want a physically larger phone? Check out some of the new flagships - the bezels are much smaller which means that physically the phones are similar in size, but the screens occupy most of the front. Therefore the screens are larger than 5 inches.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    If you can hold out a bit longer, T-Mobile will be introducing new phones with band-71 (600 MHz) compatibility. They've just introduced the first but it's a flagship device and quite spendy. If you buy a new phone now, you'll just need a another new phone within a year.
    If you have good coverage now, it's not certain that you'll need another phone within a year. T-Mobile won't even have all of their 600 MHz spectrum rolled out within the year. So for many customers, that spectrum won't make much difference.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    If you have good coverage now, it's not certain that you'll need another phone within a year. T-Mobile won't even have all of their 600 MHz spectrum rolled out within the year. So for many customers, that spectrum won't make much difference.
    This is correct but:
    1) People do travel away from their homes, on occasion, and
    2) Excluding the LG V30, if you buy a new phone today, you may decide later that you really should have waited for a phone with 600 MHz.

It's a situation similar to when Apple introduced the iPhone 6. All the iSheep had to get their new iPhone 6, right now. Some of us were trying to tell people to wait until the next iPhone came out, which would support band-12. It seems like the OP is not the sort who replaces his phone every year but rather would like to get long service from his investment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    If you are looking for a decent deal. LG g6 is a poor mans S8.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    Does the G6 bootloop?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    Is your 5 inch display preference because you don't want a physically larger phone? Check out some of the new flagships - the bezels are much smaller which means that physically the phones are similar in size, but the screens occupy most of the front. Therefore the screens are larger than 5 inches.
    5 inches should be the minimum phone size. Because it is much easier to have a phone that is too small than one that is too big.

If it is too big, you hold it with two hands.No big deal. If it is too small. your fingers hurt and you still can't type worth felgercarb because of the micro onscreen keyboard.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This is correct but:
    1) People do travel away from their homes, on occasion, and
    2) Excluding the LG V30, if you buy a new phone today, you may decide later that you really should have waited for a phone with 600 MHz.

It's a situation similar to when Apple introduced the iPhone 6. All the iSheep had to get their new iPhone 6, right now. Some of us were trying to tell people to wait until the next iPhone came out, which would support band-12. It seems like the OP is not the sort who replaces his phone every year but rather would like to get long service from his investment.
    I've been looking at the reviews of the LG V30, and really haven't found anything bad about it, other than the unfortunately expected way too weak un-removable battery.

Feedback Score
    OP,

Is the display size the only condition?
    Think about bands.
    There is band 66 that is to help tmo, and band 71 the 600 mhz should really help out, but never the less, it may take a few years to allow TMO to broadcast on band 71.
    Keep up on bamd utiliAtions by the carriers.
    No point in having a phone with no recwption, unless you want to use it as a small tablet on wifi.
    Good hunting and much success!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast