Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Mobile’s LTE will be available in all its Ontario markets by August 31

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB). iPad 6th Generation (2018) (128GB).
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CTremblay85 View Post
    Just want to point out for Driver8666 that Shaw doesn't have any band 17. Just band 13 (block C1) for low band spectrum.

Edit: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf11311.html
    I knew someone would smack me upside the head. 😀

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    I knew someone would smack me upside the head. ��
    Sorry if it came off that way, not smacking anyone down. Just don't want anyone to make the wrong decision on a phone purchase.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB). iPad 6th Generation (2018) (128GB).
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CTremblay85 View Post
    Sorry if it came off that way, not smacking anyone down. Just don't want anyone to make the wrong decision on a phone purchase.
    It was a joke. But yes the correction was appreciated. I knew what you were talking about.

Feedback Score
    Like I said, Shaw will be forced to do it in this order:
    VoLTE
    VoWiFi

No other way around it. You want to get the legacy devices that have at least Band 7 on LTE. 13 and 17 if they have the spectrum for it can be worked on at the same time, and they can get certification from Apple to clear up the red tape. One of those can be used as a fallback for 66. Right now, you don't except for the HSPA network which I would leave in place until you are forced to decommission it.

Obviously some bright **** at Shaw thought that way. If they continue down that path, it's more unlikely Apple will certify the network. As I said before if Apple certifies the network, this benefits everyone. But Band 66 has to work without modification. Right now, there is no iPhone that has this, so we have to sit out. We're learning the problems from you Android users.

7, 13 and 17 reference the spectrum purchased from Videotron. Even if it's incorrect. The majority of users want the new spectrum lit up first and then Band 66 from what I read. Right now, Shaw is sitting on the spectrum and not even using it. This will cost them in the long run.
    The problem with this is that they were already deploying B66 at the time when they bought B7/B13. They couldn't just drop what they were doing and start working on B7/13, they were already in the process of finalizing the B66 deployment. Trust me, I want this new spectrum deployed as much as you do, not because of the iPhone, I'm personally not a fan, but because of the low band spectrum and what it can do to improve the reliability of this network.

Sent from my Z957 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qag01 View Post
    The problem with this is that they were already deploying B66 at the time when they bought B7/B13. They couldn't just drop what they were doing and start working on B7/13, they were already in the process of finalizing the B66 deployment. Trust me, I want this new spectrum deployed as much as you do, not because of the iPhone, I'm personally not a fan, but because of the low band spectrum and what it can do to improve the reliability of this network.

Sent from my Z957 using HoFo mobile app
    Then again you have people here that think Band 66 is a "need" rather than a "want" because of this "traffic-free LTE drug". In my view, it's a "want" but not really that important. My phone is on WiFi more than it's on the network. They could work on them both at the same time, then do VoLTE and VoWiFi, but it might require Shaw to actually put some WD-40 on the gears in their heads. Certification by Apple, is the #1 priority for Shaw however, and this is why I said 7/13 first then 66. This will benefit everyone. Once they get that certification, you can be all but assured VoLTE and VoWiFi isin't far behind. 66 on an iPhone is not happening for at least another 2 phones, (the 8 and if they make it, S versions of the 8). Apple is known for not including a band unless the service is above reproach. T-Mobile and Band 12 is a perfect example. If they are working on both together, then we haven't heard much. They might be, and we don't know. Who knows. Everything nowadays is done behind the scenes anyways.

No offense obviously. Everyone that uses Freedom wants that spectrum lit up as soon as possible. Band 66 users can use it as a fallback. Everyone will agree we want LTE as soon as possible. I will agree with you that when they bought the spectrum, they were working on Band 66. You won't get disagreements from me. The 3G network can be used as a last resort if LTE fails for any reason (and this goes for VoLTE). I don't see them decommissioning that for at least maybe 4-5 years. Well after we are all using speeds as fast as the Road Runner outrunning Wile E. Coyote. Maybe.

This also has an added benefit in which the phones that have at least that band, that are outright owned by the consumer, rather than tabbing it will also hold off on purchasing (or tabbing) a phone for at least 2 years. In the iPhone's case, it's 3. Or when you can't get anymore iOS updates.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Then again you have people here that think Band 66 is a "need" rather than a "want" because of this "traffic-free LTE drug". In my view, it's a "want" but not really that important. My phone is on WiFi more than it's on the network. They could work on them both at the same time, then do VoLTE and VoWiFi, but it might require Shaw to actually put some WD-40 on the gears in their heads. Certification by Apple, is the #1 priority for Shaw however, and this is why I said 7/13 first then 66. This will benefit everyone. Once they get that certification, you can be all but assured VoLTE and VoWiFi isin't far behind. 66 on an iPhone is not happening for at least another 2 phones, (the 8 and if they make it, S versions of the 8). Apple is known for not including a band unless the service is above reproach. T-Mobile and Band 12 is a perfect example. If they are working on both together, then we haven't heard much. They might be, and we don't know. Who knows. Everything nowadays is done behind the scenes anyways.

No offense obviously. Everyone that uses Freedom wants that spectrum lit up as soon as possible. Band 66 users can use it as a fallback. Everyone will agree we want LTE as soon as possible. I will agree with you that when they bought the spectrum, they were working on Band 66. You won't get disagreements from me. The 3G network can be used as a last resort if LTE fails for any reason (and this goes for VoLTE). I don't see them decommissioning that for at least maybe 4-5 years. Well after we are all using speeds as fast as the Road Runner outrunning Wile E. Coyote. Maybe.

This also has an added benefit in which the phones that have at least that band, that are outright owned by the consumer, rather than tabbing it will also hold off on purchasing (or tabbing) a phone for at least 2 years. In the iPhone's case, it's 3. Or when you can't get anymore iOS updates.
    They just bought that Videotron spectrum last month.

They have to source equipment for it before they can deploy.

It may only be radio cards, but they need the hardware first.

The band 66 deployment was already underway for a year already.

Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    The band 66 deployment was already underway for a year already.

Not just underway, it is being deployed by a 3rd party with a deadline (with penalties) in their contract. The schedule for B66 deployment wasn't going to change unless Freedom was suddenly willing to pay the contract in full without the work being completed (shareholders would sue the executives if that happened).

Thankfully, since a 3rd party is handling all the B66 work, Freedom staff have been free to begin calculations for the deployment of other spectrum (sourcing parts as you mention) and determining signal strength/direction needed at various locations to deploy with the fewest holes in the network.

Since there are multiple staff (and even multiple companies) working on Wind's network, multiple different projects may occur in parallel.

Driver, just because Walmart A's garden center needs plants really badly doesn't mean you cancel the truck shipping shoes to Walmart B. You send 2 trucks.

"Network" sounds like 1 thing but it's actually made up of thousands of components which can be managed somewhat independently of each-other by multiple people.

Device(s)
    Samsung s8+
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Still no lte in kingston, Will update my OP once it's live

Can't wait for it tho we need it here , this is what i'm getting for speed and friends around the city are getting around the same speed

Name:  Woe9A4J.png
Views: 351
Size:  318.0 KB

EDIT: LTE will be in kingston on aug 31.

Edit 2 lte is live in kingston but it's still very slow

Name:  qb71pMD.png
Views: 340
Size:  258.6 KB
    Last edited by rickyis911; 08-30-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    Freedom Mobile
    Line 1:
    $59 LTE Plan for $59
    Line 2: $45 Unlimited everything a month $45

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    My daughter looked for band 66 LTE in London at 230 this afternoon, and didn't find it.

Speed test showed a 29ms ping and just shy of 6mbps.

Shortly after 6 tonight, she had sync on LTE, but speeds were below 2mbps.

I ran a band 4 HSPA speed test and got similar (crap) speeds.

I hope that there's a switch that has yet to be thrown.

Device(s)
    Samsung s8+
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I think there is as if you look at my speedtest for kingston they are both suck but

64 QAM 4x4 MIMO max speed of 100MBps
    Last edited by rickyis911; 08-30-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyis911 View Post
    I think there is as if you look at my speedtest for kingston they are both suck but

64 QAM 4x4 MIMO max speed of 100MBps
    Kingston is strangled with band 4 only, so I don't think they can get 4 carriers up and running there. Or do they have enough band 4 spectrum?

My experience with band 4 LTE in Ottawa showed 25-30 Mbps when it settled down at Ottawa University. I found that experience perfectly adequate.

My kids on band 66 show almost 100 Mbps when in K-W. I expect London to be similar.

LTE doesn't want to stay sync'ed and their phones will drop back to DC-HSPA after about a minute, but I managed to get a speed test in at just shy of 25 Mbps at 730 tonight.

Device(s)
    Samsung s8+
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    5MHz of AWS-1

Speed test walking around town

Name:  Cj40A5R.png
Views: 305
Size:  245.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    Kingston is strangled with band 4 only, so I don't think they can get 4 carriers up and running there. Or do they have enough band 4 spectrum?

My experience with band 4 LTE in Ottawa showed 25-30 Mbps when it settled down at Ottawa University. I found that experience perfectly adequate.

My kids on band 66 show almost 100 Mbps when in K-W. I expect London to be similar.

LTE doesn't want to stay sync'ed and their phones will drop back to DC-HSPA after about a minute, but I managed to get a speed test in at just shy of 25 Mbps at 730 tonight.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rodtaylor View Post
    Not just underway, it is being deployed by a 3rd party with a deadline (with penalties) in their contract. The schedule for B66 deployment wasn't going to change unless Freedom was suddenly willing to pay the contract in full without the work being completed (shareholders would sue the executives if that happened).

Thankfully, since a 3rd party is handling all the B66 work, Freedom staff have been free to begin calculations for the deployment of other spectrum (sourcing parts as you mention) and determining signal strength/direction needed at various locations to deploy with the fewest holes in the network.

Since there are multiple staff (and even multiple companies) working on Wind's network, multiple different projects may occur in parallel.

Driver, just because Walmart A's garden center needs plants really badly doesn't mean you cancel the truck shipping shoes to Walmart B. You send 2 trucks.

"Network" sounds like 1 thing but it's actually made up of thousands of components which can be managed somewhat independently of each-other by multiple people.
    I will hand it to you, it's a good explanation. Sit back and wait I guess.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Band 13 will also need bigger antennas so there is a tower space availability, rentals and a lot of logistics to be sorted out. Band 7 is a different beast - you will need repeaters in parking lots and many other places. Rogers learnt this by trial and error and Freedom will probably need to either have a different team wor on this or come to this later.

Carrier(s)
    TELUS -> Koodo
    Feedback Score
    for the Iphone to get AWS 3 band 66 its not just up to Shaw (Freedom) some areas in the USA with T-Mobile will also be deploying the Band 66.

Let see hope they add it soon
    Bell and Rogers and Koodo

Line 1 $50 - Iphone 7 Plus 128GB
    Freedom Mobile
    Unlimited Calling - North America (Canada to US Long Distance)
    8GB a Month Full Speed
    Unlimited Global Text
    1GB North American Roaming (US and Canada)

Line 2 $50.00 - Iphone 7 128GB
    Rogers
    Unlimited Calling
    Unlimited LTE Data (20GB full speed)
    Unlimited Txt

Line 3 & 4
    Koodo
    $40.00 Ontario PLAN (Not QC or SK or MB)
    6GB LTE Data
    Unlimited Canada Wide Calling
    Unlimited Global text

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast