Thread: Problems with micro SD cards

Feedback Score

Problems with micro SD cards

Hello, I wanted to backup some data from one of my phones to a microSD card, and then transfer the data to another phone. The data includes photos and phone contacts. I bought a 16 gb micro SD card and adaptor from a Fed Ex office, and the clerk told me that 16gb should offer enough storage for my data. But when I inserted the card into my phone and tried to transfer the photos, I saw a message that said "Not Enough Storage Space!". I took this to mean that no photos went onto the card, and to verify that I then inserted the card into another phone, to see if I could transfer photos from the card onto the phone, and the message said "No Data". So apparently, no photos went onto the card because 16gb was not enough storage space. I went back to the Fed Ex office and asked if they had 32gb or 64gb DS cards, but they said all they carried was the 16gb cards, and they suggested I try ordering one online. I ordered a Samsung 64 Pro (64gb) microSD card on Ebay, and tried that card, but this time I got a message that said "Blank SD Card Or Unsupported...". Are there different types, different formats of microSD cards, some of which will work for my phones and some that won't? The Fed Ex card apparently would have worked, but it didn't have enough storage space. How do I find a 32gb or 64gb card that wiil be compatible with my phone? On my phone I have 103 photos that are visible. Under Photo Storage it reads: Free 42MB Used 129MB Total 171MB. I have 57 phone contacts on the phone. Will a 32gb card work for this, or do I need a 64gb microSD card? My Android phones are a Wind X325 and a Pulse Vortex.

Feedback Score
    https://youtu.be/D64UNGaAUoI - watch think link on YouTube. It may help you out with your SD card problem. Hope this helps. It is by far the best video I have seen. It is easy to understand and follow the steps shown.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    What confuses me is why it doesnt copy some of the photos until it fills the storage. That should be possible. Dumb question but did you remember to quick format the SD Card to the appropriate format (e.g. FAT32)? Are you able to inser the microSD onto your PC/laptop and check the size of the card in Windows/Mac?

Feedback Score
    16 GB is plenty to hold 100 pictures. Contacts don't take much storage space. Something else is going on.

With Android go to Settings -> Storage and check to see that the uSD is formatted and mounted. Otherwise, are you sure that you are using File Manager correctly to copy the files?

If you have a regular computer you can use a USB cable to copy things from and to phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by emmali View Post
    What confuses me is why it doesnt copy some of the photos until it fills the storage. That should be possible. Dumb question but did you remember to quick format the SD Card to the appropriate format (e.g. FAT32)? Are you able to inser the microSD onto your PC/laptop and check the size of the card in Windows/Mac?
    The first time I inserted the card into the second phone, I got a message that said "Blank SD Card or Format Not Supported". I then went further and it said "Format Card-Warning! If you format the card it will erase all data on the card". At that point I stopped, confused, not knowing exactly what was going on, I'm no tech expert, but learning. I inserted the card again later, and this time I didn't get that warning at all, and it looked like the card would work fine. But when I hit "Restore", I got a "No Data On Card" message. So yes, something strange is going on with that card, with both phones. At this point I think I'll just try transferring the data into a computer with a USB cable, and then transferring it onto the other phone from the computer. I've never done this before, is there something that could go wrong with this procedure too? Somehow I expect that something will go wrong trying that also.

Feedback Score
    The phone that told me there was not enough storage space is not an Android phone, it's an older phone, from before Android was even developed. And the phone doesn't seem to have any way to format a microSD card, no message comes up, so I'm not sure if I can even format a card on that phone. I just went to photos, pressed "Export To SD Card", and it looked like that's what happened. And I did the same with the contacts, and it said "57 Contacts Transferred To SD Card".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by controlvoice View Post
    The first time I inserted the card into the second phone, I got a message that said "Blank SD Card or Format Not Supported". I then went further and it said "Format Card-Warning! If you format the card it will erase all data on the card". At that point I stopped, confused, not knowing exactly what was going on, I'm no tech expert, but learning. I inserted the card again later, and this time I didn't get that warning at all, and it looked like the card would work fine. But when I hit "Restore", I got a "No Data On Card" message. So yes, something strange is going on with that card, with both phones. At this point I think I'll just try transferring the data into a computer with a USB cable, and then transferring it onto the other phone from the computer. I've never done this before, is there something that could go wrong with this procedure too? Somehow I expect that something will go wrong trying that also.
    With the USB cable between the phone and computer, just do a copy, rather than cut, from the phone. Make sure you have the files on the computer before you delete them from the phone.

Feedback Score
    The phone that told me there was not enough storage space is not an Android phone, it's an older phone, from before Android was even developed. And the phone doesn't seem to have any way to format a microSD card, no message comes up, so I'm not sure if I can even format a card on that phone. I just went to photos, pressed "Export To SD Card", and it looked like that's what happened. And I did the same with the contacts, and it said "57 Contacts Transferred To SD Card".
    The old phone is probably not compatible with a 16 GB SD. My old feature phone is 4 GB max. What is the phone? We may be able to look up its specs.

You could try using Gparted to make a smaller first partition on the 16 GB SD that the old phone might recognize as small enough. This is what I have to do for mp3s on flash drives for my car. The max the car will recognize is 4 GB. 4 GB flash drives are hard to find.

Feedback Score
    The phone is a PCD (Personal Communication Device) TE-1303 MX.

Feedback Score
    The phone is a PCD (Personal Communication Device) TE-1303 MX.
    I could not find specs for the max SD size, but I will bet that it is less than 16 GB.

The user manual did mention connecting to a computer with a USB cable to copy files so there is another easy way.

Good luck