Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Unlimited data plan changes to affect EVERYONE on 8/23

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I worked for a cell carrier way back so my theory is, from a monetary standpoint all the carriers want us on an "unlimited" data plan since they can charge more.
    From a usage standpoint they don't want us on unlimited so that's why we see these gimp offers of 480,720, max of 512, 3mb, 10-15gb hotspot, throttle after certain gb usage.

Im not a big data user and only way I would ever be is if hotspot wasn't so gimped out. The carriers know that and aren't stupid so that's why hotspot is so limited these days

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Anyone remember a couple months ago they were running ads saying 5GB was more data than most customers use....
    A couple months I was averaging under 5GB a month. Went well with my 5GB plan. Has gone up since then. Last month I went through my 5GB plus .67 of carryover. This month I'll likely hit the limit (and have no carryover available). I think I'm going to try Verizon prepaid again. 8GB for less than I'm paying postpaid.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mreg45 View Post
    I have been with Verizon 14 years and I have never seen Verizon advertise their cell service as a replacement for home broadband or home wifi usag.
    Does Verizon home fusion count ? Okay lets get this thread back on topic any word on when they will start the slow down today for streaming services ?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score

Unlimited data plan changes to affect EVERYONE on 8/23

My issue with this plan is the hotspot throttling on the lesser plan. I'm a mobile DJ and occasionally need to download a song on the fly using my phones hotspot. I'm talking maybe 2-3 songs a month. Hardly anything. So there's no way to get high-speed hotspot on just one line and throttled hotspot on the other three lines in a 4 line family plan? The only way I would be able to get high-speed Hotspot is to have everybody on the more expensive plan in the family? At least T-Mobile let you add high-speed hotspot to just one line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djjim View Post
    So there's no way to get high-speed hotspot on just one line in throttles hotspot on the other three lines in a 4 line family plan? The only way I would be able to get high-speed Hotspot is to have everybody on the more expensive plan in the family?
    Correct.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/verizon-plan/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    The plans are now live. I can confirm that according to My Verizon, neither of the new unlimited plans is eligible for an employer discount.
    There was never any reason to think they would be.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    picture of fast.com
    It took them a few months to fully implement hotspot throttling so there is no reason to think it won't take some time for them to implement video throttling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    The video throttling probably won't take effect til the morning.
    It could take a few months like it took a few months for hotspot throttling to be fully implemented.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    Ya, no thanks. I'll pass. The rest of the family doesn't even use hotspot. Why pay more when only one person is using it. That's stupid. I guess it's TMobile for me.

Feedback Score
    Phone deals? Aren't we all basically paying full price now anyway?
    I bought an S8 for $420, that's not full price. You can still get them for $420 through Best Buy.

I also got $650 trade in value for a 16GB iPhone 6 towards a 128GB iPhone 7 so that the 128GB iPhone 7 was only $200, that's not full price.

You just need to keep an eye out for the deals.

Feedback Score
    So if anyone was wondering why the carriers, including Verizon, are and will be doing what they're doing with unlimited there you have it.
    He lives in the sticks so I doubt his tower is congested.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Anyone remember a couple months ago they were running ads saying 5GB was more data than most customers use....
    This is still a true statement. Most people have WiFi at home and at their jobs. I use well under 5GB per month personally, as do most of my coworkers and friends. Everyone is different. Some people apparently sit and watch videos all day over a cellular connection. Not any people I know, but apparently some do.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    It took them a few months to fully implement hotspot throttling so there is no reason to think it won't take some time for them to implement video throttling.
    It took them 1 day to hit all accounts when they tested it weeks ago so why would this be any different ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djjim View Post
    Ya, no thanks. I'll pass. The rest of the family doesn't even use hotspot.
    You get a lot more than just faster MHS with the Beyond Unlimited plan. However, if you wanted to switch you should have switched yesterday because the plan yesterday was the same as the Beyond Unlimited plan but cheaper.

The way the new plans work is this:

Go Unlimited
    4 Lines = $160
    Unlimited Talk and Text
    Unlimited Data but deprioritized if there is tower congestion regardless of how much data you have used
    Video throttled to 480p
    Unlimited MHS but throttled to 600kbps regardless of how much data you have used
    Does not include free North American roaming

Beyond Unlimited
    4 Lines = $200
    Unlimited Talk and Text
    Unlimited Data but deprioritized if there is tower congestion after you have used 22GB of data in a billing cycle
    Video throttled to 720p
    Unlimited MHS but throttled to 600kbps after you have used 15GB of tethered data in a billing cycle
    Includes free North American roaming

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    Does Verizon home fusion count ? Okay lets get this thread back on topic any word on when they will start the slow down today for streaming services ?
    I think Home Fusion was the precursor to Mobile Broadband. And it was not unlimited. So no, it doesn't count.
    ---
    Cellular One (AT&T), Sprint, now Verizon.

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast