Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon really better then AT&T?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9 View Post
    This is relatively anecdotal, but I worked for a company that made a video conferencing remote telepresence "robot" primarily designed for Wi-Fi. We supported cellular USB adapters for it. We landed on AT&T and Verizon as the only two valid options.
    We eventually just gave up on AT&T and only supported Verizon because AT&T was just too unreliable in too many places. We supported all over the US, so it wasn't just a regional issue. That experience was an eye opener as I was on AT&T at the time.

That was a year and a half ago of years ago and AFIK AT&T hasn't done much to improve. T-Mobile has, obviously, done a ton to expand.

For what it's worth, I left AT&T. I had been on it since the 90's (and it's previous incarnation, Cingular.) I was used to having "2-3 bars" but data just wouldn't work. Or not being able to send a text because of congestion. I was just used to it not working sometimes. As of my switch to Verizon, I have almost never had a problem like that. Where AT&T was 80%-85% reliable to me, Verizon is 97%+.

I understand AT&T is better in the south and parts of the east. In California Verizon rules for rural and T-Mobile for speed and urban areas. AT&T still has decent rural coverage (a little better than T-Mobile now) but Verizon goes places none of the other carriers go. That being said they aren't the fastest in the city, but they are reliably at least 5Mbps-10Mpbs, if not more (50Mbps.)

I also have a friend that used to work on frequency planning for AT&T. He's a Verizon customer because in his words "It's the only one that works everywhere."

Your milage may vary by region, but put together all of the annecdotal experiences I've had, it was enough to finally move me over to Verizon and I've been very satisfied. I did wait for Verizon LTE/VoLTE for the switch because I think CDMA calls sound pretty bad. Also prior to LTE, AT&T's HSPA was a lot better than Verizon 3G (where it worked, though Verizon probably worked more places.)

As of today, I'd be on Verizon for overall reliability as "the best" (which is why I'm sticking to it) or T-Mobile for better price and urban performance (though their coverage has improved and will with 600Mhz roll out.) Your opionon of T-Mobile may not match mine, but I recently did a road test to rural California with T-Mobile and I was pretty impressed at how much they improved.
    I've been very impressed with tmobiles expansion and that includes rural coverage. Have definitely seen some nice differences lately

Feedback Score
    Old or not experiences with carriers shape opinions. For me the priority is voice 1st not data.

And my history some localized some nationwide is:
    T-Mobile coverage disappears indoors & hilly terrain, voice quality better than VZW & Sprint
    Verizon coverage is very good but the garbled sound of the calls makes it untenable
    Sprint coverage is good & voice quality better than Verizon
    AT&T voice quality same as TM & coverage as good as Verizon

And so it goes on & on.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I notice everyone commenting on the garbled sounding calls. Is this every call, most calls, or just occasionally. Reason I ask is my calls sound great. Whether to a landline or another Verizon phone or some other phone. I'm not seeing it as an issue anymore. Granted, back a few years ago I would probably agree but not these days.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, VZW
    Feedback Score
    It all comes down to what you define as better. I'm in the NYC market and have AT&T and Tmobile. Tried Verizon for a few months recently and I just wasn't ready to commit long term, and by many standards this is their best market. I'll agree the data speeds are great and blazing fast but I wasn't impressed with how voice played out. That takes a top priority for me. More dropped calls from what I'm use to and fallback to 3g and 1x in buildings that I don't experience with AT&T.

Feedback Score
    I'm wondering if users experience Verizon call quality differently because of their hearing abilities.

I am hearing impaired so CDMA (Verizon & Sprint) call quality is noticeably worse than GSM (AT&T & T-Mobile).

If you think Verizon call quality is great to good, how is your hearing?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I'm wondering if users experience Verizon call quality differently because of their hearing abilities.

I am hearing impaired so CDMA (Verizon & Sprint) call quality is noticeably worse than GSM (AT&T & T-Mobile).

CDMA call quality is definitely worse. I am slightly hearing impaired, and have a very difficult time understanding my wife through her bluetooth in her car. I will say though that Verizon's VoLTE call quality is fantastic!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post

I think most every one in this thread has been talking about Verizon's call quality, not CDMA call quality. I have no hearing impairment and find that AT&T and Verizon originated/received calls are indistinguishable, but CDMA calls do sound worse in my experience. CDMA calls are not the same as Verizon calls obviously.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    I think most every one in this thread has been talking about Verizon's call quality, not CDMA call quality. I have no hearing impairment and find that AT&T and Verizon originated/received calls are indistinguishable, but CDMA calls do sound worse in my experience. CDMA calls are not the same as Verizon calls obviously.
    I'm specially talking about CDMA sounding poor. VoLTE is great which is almost all of he time and that's even to other wireless carriers or Landline. Also when calling Verizon to Verizon it's "HD" and that sounds incredibly good. IDK what the complain would be about overall call quality. I've been on Verizon for 3 years and never had a complaint unless I got stuck on a CDMA call and I've never had a dropped or failed call that I can remember.

Feedback Score
    @ RF9 how is your hearing?

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    Yeah thats why I mentioned it was worse some years ago before LTE. I'm not sure what would trigger a CDMA call these days if your're within range of an LTE signal. My calls sound very good and I have no complaints. I live in a smallish town and definitely noticed an increase in call quality when the LTE tech was turned on. Alot of my calls go over wifi when I'm home and those calls sound very good as well. So to me Verizons call quality is great and a non issue. If I'm out in the boonies and drop to 1x would that be CDMA? As long as I can make an emergency call if need be I'm good and not caring about quality as much. I have a GF who still rocks a dumb phone on Verizon and we chat for an hour sometimes and it sounds very good. I've always thought about switching to see if the grass is any greener on another carrier but I have tried them all at some point in the past 20 years and feel Verizon is the best for my needs. YMMV of course.

Feedback Score
    My area is here in Los Angeles . Is fully covered with Verizon LTE. the other day I actually went to the settings and turned off volte on my s8 plus just to see what the fuzz is all about . Made all my calls on Verizon 1X cdma and they still sound good . I was able to hear the other person loud and clear no problems. So don't know what people complain about . At the end of the day I turned on volte back on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have the same experience as the last two posters. And in answer to cbreze, yes, a 1x call is a CDMA call.

In general VoLTE calls sound just fine to a non-VoLTE endpoint. I've tested many of them. But to another VoLTE endpoint, they sound amazing! I would also echo the thought that I never had trouble with CDMA calls, either. To me, they sound just like a VoLTE to non-VoLTE call. I leave VoLTE on all the time, too. But if I didn't have it, my experience would still be great.

And since someone on here keeps asking this question of everyone that posts: yes, I can hear just fine.

Feedback Score
    Just say if you have hearing problems or not. I posit this makes a big difference in perception of Verizons call quality.

I boldly say a huge majority of those touting VZW call quality have no hearing impairment.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    My area is here in Los Angeles . Is fully covered with Verizon LTE. the other day I actually went to the settings and turned off volte on my s8 plus just to see what the fuzz is all about . Made all my calls on Verizon 1X cdma and they still sound good . I was able to hear the other person loud and clear no problems. So don't know what people complain about . At the end of the day I turned on volte back on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    CDMA has imrpoved from a few years ago. I don't know if it's because ther are less people using CDMA, therefore less errors/congestion or whatever, refarming of frequencies, or better phones. So I agree that CDMA isn't as bad as it used to be. Occasionally I'll notice that a call didn't sound that great and realize I was on CDMA, but it wasn't "bad" like I remember it. VoLTE is always just fine to me.

4/5+ years ago my dad and a couple of good friends were on Verizon (for 10 years or so) and I always dreaded their phone calls because I was having to ask them to repeat themselves a lot. It always seemed like the most crucial word in each sentence had a tiny drop-out making it unintelligable on top of muffled distortion at times. It was frustrating to them because... to them... I sounded "totally fine." It was always the audio coming from the Verizon customer while the returning audio seemed to be OK. It was enough to keep me off Verizon no matter how much better it was.

I base my judtement on my wife's calls to me. She'll call me from Safeway or Costco where the signal drops to 1 bar of CDMA. They are Veizon to Verizon calls and they are not VoLTE HD, so I know she's on CDMA (I can hear the difference) and she sounds "good enough" to me. (I've also done a couple of tests where I intentionally shut off her LTE and had her call me.)

Again, I don't know why it seems better to me. VoLTE (95%+ of the time) is great. CDMA is acceptable.
    I will agree that T-Mobile sounds the absolute best (on HSPA) and has for years with AT&T behind them (on HSPA.) I even thought their GSM calls were clearer. I think LTE has leveled that playing field.
    I held out moving ot Verizon until VoLTE for this very reas. Maybe my observations are confirmation bias?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    The wife tells me I'm deaf as a door knob since I never listen to her

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast