Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unlocked iPhone

Feedback Score

Unlocked iPhone

I purchased an iPhone 6s about a year ago directly from apple. When I put my cricket SIM card in....did it get "locked" to cricket?....or can you still out any SIM card in it successfully?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    No and yes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    In general, when a phone is unlocked(by factory or carrier) it is permanently unlocked, free for you to use with any carrier it's able to operate with, always.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    In general, when a phone is unlocked(by factory or carrier) it is permanently unlocked, free for you to use with any carrier it's able to operate with.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
    What he said above. I took my Apple sim free iphone 7 from Cricket to Verizon Prepaid no problem. It would be pretty tacky if our sim free unlocked models got locked to a carrier after buying them full price and waiting for the unlocked models.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    I think the only iphones that get locked to the first sim carrier are the ones sold by best buy.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    I think the only iphones that get locked to the first sim carrier are the ones sold by best buy.
    No any iPhones sold by sprint, Tmobile and att directly are locked. Verizon iPhones cannot be locked by some FCC agreement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    Best Buy iPhone sales would follow the same locking/unlocking procedure as if the phone was purchased from Apple. Verizon iPhones are unlocked. Other iPhones are locked if financed on a next type plan.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    This is absolutely correct. Best Buy iPhones are SOLD unlocked, but will LOCK to the carrier of the first SIM installed. If you want the phone to be unlocked, make sure the Best Buy rep puts a POSTPAID Verizon SIM in the phone first and activates it to Apples servers over WiFi. Then the phone will be permanently unlocked.
    If the Best Buy rep won't do it for you, tell them not to activate the phone and take it home and do it yourself. You can buy a Verizon postpaid SIM at Best Buy for $5.00. The Verizon SIM does not have to be active, but it must be a postpaid and NOT a prepaid Verizon SIM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    This is absolutely correct. Best Buy iPhones are SOLD unlocked, but will LOCK to the carrier of the first SIM installed. If you want the phone to be unlocked, make sure the Best Buy rep puts a POSTPAID Verizon SIM in the phone first and activates it to Apples servers over WiFi. Then the phone will be permanently unlocked.
    If the Best Buy rep won't do it for you, tell them not to activate the phone and take it home and do it yourself. You can buy a Verizon postpaid SIM at Best Buy for $5.00. The Verizon SIM does not have to be active, but it must be a postpaid and NOT a prepaid Verizon SIM.
    Exactly. This is why I have a few inactive POSTPAID VZN SIMs; they are very valuable.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    Exactly. This is why I have a few inactive POSTPAID VZN SIMs; they are very valuable.
    This makes a lot more sense now - I bought one of the $199 AT&T GoPhone SEs for a family member from Best Buy, tried a prepaid Verizon SIM (it was one I had previously used with an iPad) and it didn't seem to want to activate over Wi-Fi, so I eventually just gave up and either threw an AT&T or Cricket SIM in there (can't remember the order, it was back in May). Having dealt with AT&T and T-Mobile in the past for almost everything, I assumed that any Verizon SIM would work, but this is good to know for in the future.

Two questions from this - is there a way to tell what's a Verizon postpaid SIM, and is there a good place to get them (I saw Best Buy, but is that something to ask for, or on the shelf)?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    This makes a lot more sense now - I bought one of the $199 AT&T GoPhone SEs for a family member from Best Buy, tried a prepaid Verizon SIM (it was one I had previously used with an iPad) and it didn't seem to want to activate over Wi-Fi, so I eventually just gave up and either threw an AT&T or Cricket SIM in there (can't remember the order, it was back in May). Having dealt with AT&T and T-Mobile in the past for almost everything, I assumed that any Verizon SIM would work, but this is good to know for in the future.

Two questions from this - is there a way to tell what's a Verizon postpaid SIM, and is there a good place to get them (I saw Best Buy, but is that something to ask for, or on the shelf)?
    The VZN SIMs I have come from people that I know that have VZN postpaid service. I don't know/what to look for to differenciate between VZN pre/postpaid SIMs.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    The VZN SIMs I have come from people that I know that have VZN postpaid service. I don't know/what to look for to differenciate between VZN pre/postpaid SIMs.
    Thanks - by the way, Best Buy is now selling a prepaid Verizon SE for $199, as well…not sure if this is in all areas, but if that's the case and it works like a postpaid Verizon iPhone (maybe they've added Verizon prepaid to the flex activations?), this may be a better option.

Edit: Maybe not (from Verizon's unlocking page):

We do not lock our 4G devices, other than our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones. In order to partially offset the subsidy we provide to make our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones more affordable to service customers, our 4G Phone-in-a-Box phones may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 year from original activation date or until payments in the amount specified on the back of the Phone-in-a-Box package are added to the Prepaid account.
    Digging some more, it looks like on or around 7/18, those phones started getting locked to Verizon Prepaid as part of the subsidy (I was surprised since this was counter to most Verizon things): https://slickdeals.net/f/10308368-un...18#commentsBox

So, basically, if you want a cheap iPhone SE, whatever models Cricket is selling (and then you can unlock) or the $199 AT&T Prepaid Best Buy model are going to be the way to go.
    Last edited by ecs0013; 08-16-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Thanks - by the way, Best Buy is now selling a prepaid Verizon SE for $199, as well…not sure if this is in all areas, but if that's the case and it works like a postpaid Verizon iPhone (maybe they've added Verizon prepaid to the flex activations?), this may be a better option.

Edit: Maybe not (from Verizon's unlocking page):

Digging some more, it looks like on or around 7/18, those phones started getting locked to Verizon Prepaid as part of the subsidy (I was surprised since this was counter to most Verizon things): https://slickdeals.net/f/10308368-un...18#commentsBox

So, basically, if you want a cheap iPhone SE, whatever models Cricket is selling (and then you can unlock) or the $199 AT&T Prepaid Best Buy model are going to be the way to go.
    I was going to get a VZN SE but then I saw that thread on SD. Looks like VZN (like AT&T with GoPhone/Prepaid) is closing the loop holes on free/easy unlocks. Right now, the best deal is the Cricket Unlimited Plan unlock.

I contemplated buying an AT&T Prepaid SE from Best Buy and putting it on either the 25 cent/minute* or $2/day plan* for 6 months, then requesting an unlock, but that's too much like work.

*I confirmed on two separate occasions (via calling) that smartphones can be put on these AT&T Prepaid plans.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    By the way, the AT&T Prepaid 32GB SE is $149 online ($189 in the store) - I did order for pickup for a family member, but thought I'd pass along word of the lower price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast