Thread: Reviving an old LG Optimus V (VM670) Android 2.2.2

Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score

Reviving an old LG Optimus V (VM670) Android 2.2.2

Hi all!

I just dug out an old Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (VM670) to use as a backup phone on Tello. It passed the MEID checker, so yay!

Problem is, this old girl still has Android Market on it. It won't self-upgrade to the Google Play Store - keeps reporting a server error. I can't sideload the app, because I don't have a File Manager with which to open an .apk! I can't get a File Manager, because I don't have Google Play Store!

Cue infinite loop of frustration.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Searching Google didn't help! LOL

Feedback Score
    I have the same phone from virgin and mine still works too.

If I remember mine updated to the play store so there might be something wrong.

I would try a factory reset and see if it updates to play store after that.

If the play store still does not work and you want to side load you will need another android device or PC to get the APK.

With another android device you can use the play store and backup to APK.

With a PC you can download many APKs from a website like apkpure.com.

Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    Right, but I can't find a way to install an app from an .apk file on the Optimus

Feedback Score
    You can install an app from your sd card by using the web browser on the phone. Check out this.

Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1968 View Post
    You can install an app from your sd card by using the web browser on the phone. Check out this.
    It worked! You're a pal! Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    I have similar device LG Optimus S (LG-LS670) that registered on Tello. The problem with this phone (and most phones on Android 2.2/2.3 and, even, 4.0) that they are too old and do not have enough RAM and internal storage to run or even store apps. In best case you well be able to install 2-3 apps that to not require large RAM usage and that's all. SD card will not work because not all app data can be stored on SD card. Also, you will not be able to update system apps that requires internal storage. So, you should treat such phone as non smartphone, but phone calls will work fine.

Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    @RFK:

Yes, thank you. I'm aware of that, but the reminder is always good. I was actually looking for a dumbphone to activate with Tello, when someone in the "General Prepaid" forum pointed out that old Virgin phones should work.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the MEID on my Optimus passed the check.

I've rooted the phone and deleted all bloatware. I turned off Automatic Updates and Cellular Data. I'm fairly certain that what I have left is a "Feature Phone", and that's all I want/need. This will be a backup phone, and I'm hoping to make a $10 refill last a year

Feedback Score
    @eggsalad: I use LG Optimus exactly as you (I also rooted it). The only apps I installed is some kind of number blocker (to block spam calls) and IntlPrefix (to replace + in address book entries by 011 for international calls because Tello does not like + in dialing numbers). Before this LG phone I used some kind of dumb phone (I thank it old was flip phone from LG. I spent a lot of time to understand how to program it for Tello) but this phone ended it's lifecycle overseas when I gave it to my friend who visited me from abroad (his GSM phone was not compatible with US GSM bands). So, I bought in ebay this LG Optimus S and switched my Tello account to it.

Feedback Score
    That XDA fix is neat. Good old XDA!
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19