Thread: How about a 4G bridge for older cellphones?

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Talking How about a 4G bridge for older cellphones?

I'm a weirdo, I like old phones, I like their ui, I like their design, I like how they can withstand more abuse than today's phones can. I'd go so far as to say the Nokia N95 is high up there with the all-time best phones ever. I'd love to use a phone on the AMPS network, I'd love to be able to call people with my Sony Ericsson W300i, I'd love to get emails on the go on a Palm Treo, but 2G is practically dead and older technologies have been obsolete and left to rest in peace for a long time now.

That got me thinking! Why isn't there a pocket-sized device that could be set so that, for exemple, a Nokia 2125i could make calls and receive text messages, while using a network that didn't exist at the time the phone was made!

The way I see it (it's fantasy, let's go crazy.), the device would have the chips to support old techs like CDMA, GSM, iden, all that stuff, and when set with the device activating the wanted antenna, and all the user would have to do is to use a specially-made sim card for phones that require one, complete with credit card-sized adapter for really old phones, or for CDMA, the relevant settings entered into the phone's service menus. Then the phone would connect to the device and within the device would be a sim card to your carrier of choice, and the device would convert the signal to whatever antenna is chosen, meaning that as long as the device is charged and switched on, the user can go and do whatever they want on their old beloved phone like it's the 90s and 00s again. Hurray!

But really, what would be the obstacles to such a thing? I assume that engineers roam the forums here and maybe you guys (and girls) could tell me why I'm an idiot and in which ways my idea wouldn't work. I'm genuinely curious here!

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    First problem. It appeals to maybe one person in a million. So, you go to the effort and expense to build one and sell 10 or 20 of them. No way to make money. Second, it would have to contain a lot of technology and maybe a complete separate wireless account. Not an easy thing to do. Third issue, it would have to use frequencies allocated to the wireless carriers and they might not like it. Of course, you can always buy and engineering test set and stick it in a Faraday cage and play with old phones as much as you like.

You could probably activate that 2125i on a PagePlus PAYG plan and use it to your heart's content. I have an old Motorola flip phone active on PagePlus.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Haven't we been through this a year ago?

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-into-3g-or-4g

Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    Haven't we been through this a year ago? http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-into-3g-or-4g
    Oh silly, at least my current idea is more sophisticated!

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    First problem. It appeals to maybe one person in a million.
    Of course it's going to be a niche product.
    You could probably activate that 2125i on a PagePlus PAYG plan and use it to your heart's content. I have an old Motorola flip phone active on PagePlus.
    Sure, if you're in the US.