Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogers increases data overage rate by $20 per gigabyte

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score

Rogers increases data overage rate by $20 per gigabyte

You've got to be kidding... $70 per gig overage?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/05/ro...ge-20-per-gig/
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    So in line with bell and Telus now? These overages are a scam. You can get 3 GB from freedom for $55 and that includes canadian roaming (i.e. data on big 3).

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Rogers says "we’re constantly investing in our network to meet their demand for data and speed and have invested billions in the last five years." On which planet? They haven't done squat to their network around here in over a year. Anyway, the overages (on all big 3 carriers) are a joke.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    You've got to be kidding... $70 per gig overage?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/05/ro...ge-20-per-gig/
    Videotron is a whopping 150$/GB on some plans. Limited by the Wireless Code, but I can see how you can get burned... Massively.
    Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most. [Mark Twain]

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 Plus
    Feedback Score
    It's funny cause with some company in other countries, $70 will buy you up to 100gb of data. But here it's get you a 1GB. Who they must be making some awesome profit.

Feedback Score
    just don't go over your data, simple as that. If you never go over the data, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, some people are blowing this out of proportion, almost 90% of the people I know will never be effected by this. no need to make a big deal out of it

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    just don't go over your data, simple as that. If you never go over the data, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, some people are blowing this out of proportion, almost 90% of the people I know will never be effected by this. no need to make a big deal out of it

No one was blowing it out of proportion. It is reasonable to complain about paying $70 for 1GB of overage charges. When companies have unethical and ridiculous charges such as these whether it affects you directly or not, people on a ROGERS forum have obvious reason to talk about something such as this. Again we are on a Rogers forum, so you can expect we would talk about news and issues related to Rogers.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I agree completely, Rogers really needs to start upgrading the Network to catch up with Bell. The LTE network is "okay" but their HSPA network is dying, I can barely use it, speed tests around 3-4mb/s in most areas, websites and stuff taking forever to load. When I was with Bell and my phone would drop to HSPA it was still very fast and I barely noticed I wasn't using LTE. With Rogers I know right away when the phone drops to HSPA. Also in building coverage with Rogers still sucks.
    I'm only with Rogers because they haven't burnt me yet, and there customer service is excellent. Bell has THE WORST customer service I have experienced, and sooo many billing errors.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    ^So go to Telus! Same network and their customer service is better than Bell's. I've been with Telus for the past 2 years and have zero complaints.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This sounds like a way to get people to go for a higher plan than they need.
    By increasing the overages astronomically, they will not only make more money on the overages but also greatly increase they monthly APU.

I don't know why you would even defend this increase. I hope none of your friends and family are on Roger's.
    Motorola DPC 550, Mitsubishi G310, Panasonic A102, Motorola V60, Sony Ericsson W200, Sony Ericsson C510a, Motorola XT502, HTC Desire V, LG Optimus L9, Samsung T159, LG G2, Huawei U2801, BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Passport SE (short lived), BlackBerry Passport (White), BlackBerry DTEK60 (short lived), BlackBerry Priv, Essential Phone.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    This is the equivalent of forcing people to buy a lot more data than they would normally use. It's what the mafia calls "protection". I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's not as a simple as "just don't go over". It's more like "buy double what you need because going over just once a year will cost the same".

This is not a smart move by the Big 3 IMHO. It will bring attention to their overpriced overage which will lead to more regulation. They should have been happy charging 50$/gb. There's no reason why it should be more than 10$/gb

Device(s)
    Note5 🍁
    Carrier(s)
    FiDo
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP-SE View Post
    I agree completely, Rogers really needs to start upgrading the Network to catch up with Bell. The LTE network is "okay" but their HSPA network is dying, I can barely use it, speed tests around 3-4mb/s in most areas, websites and stuff taking forever to load. When I was with Bell and my phone would drop to HSPA it was still very fast and I barely noticed I wasn't using LTE. With Rogers I know right away when the phone drops to HSPA. Also in building coverage with Rogers still sucks.
    I'm only with Rogers because they haven't burnt me yet, and there customer service is excellent. Bell has THE WORST customer service I have experienced, and sooo many billing errors.
    Thir HSPA network is not dying. They are purposely capping it at such low speed, to incentivise chatter and old mobilicity customers to switch to Fido and Rogers, while spamming them with messages and offers to do so.
    As well as push last holdouts of real unlimited data plans, limited to hspa max, on Fido and Rogers onto new ones.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note5 🍁
    Carrier(s)
    FiDo
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    This is the equivalent of forcing people to buy a lot more data than they would normally use. It's what the mafia calls "protection". I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's not as a simple as "just don't go over". It's more like "buy double what you need because going over just once a year will cost the same".

This is not a smart move by the Big 3 IMHO. It will bring attention to their overpriced overage which will lead to more regulation. They should have been happy charging 50$/gb. There's no reason why it should be more than 10$/gb
    There is no reason they should be actually charging more than $5 per GB, when in pricing their plan tiers (the difference between different data allotment from otherwise same plan) they reveal that they are perfectly happy charging that and making ton of money.
    And in case of 4th provider provinces, as low as $2 per GB.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    This is CANADA don't kid yourself.

In the usa you can get 2x unlimited (22GB until throttling) lines for $100, TAXES AND FEES INCLUDED!

Here in Canada you're already a loyal customer who just needs a bit more data that month? Go ****k your self says the telcos - pay more than your plan is!

Also WTF is the point in having 300 Mbps LTE?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Let's not take this out of context, 70$/gig is cheap compared to 5c/kb ~2007 Pay-per-use, otherwise known as 50,000$/gb

Back in the day it was perfectly acceptable to charge 1 mortgage per 4.7gb DVD downloaded, and enable data automatically for everyone even if they didn't have a plan :^).

Let's not forget the part where they didn't (don't?) allow you to block international data roaming at the carrier level. It's okay, just do it on your phone!, it can't ever re-enable itself!!! We promise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast