Thread: Is Oath + FioS enough in the TV Space for Verizon!?

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score

Is Oath + FioS enough in the TV Space for Verizon!?

I would've thought there would be more of a buzz about Oath and it's proposed Over The Top TV Service.

What do you guys think!? Should Verizon be doing more in the TV Space!?

I would've thought AT&T purchasing DirecTV would have sent them into a frenzy. They also seem to be a little skimp on content ambitions. But, Oath is better than nothing.

Seems like Verizon is playing a different game than its top rival AT&T. I'm trying to gain knowledge from actual subscribers and those who may live in Verizon territory or both, what that game (Corporate Vision) may be!?

I must admit, I've always enjoyed the technically detailed conversations in the Verizon forum. Here's to more of the same!!!
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I see you guys are super excited to Oath.

No need to overload me with your tales of excitement.

🤣🤣🤣

Feedback Score
    Oath and FiOS really don't have anything to do with Verizon wireless, those are Verizon communications subsidies, not sure what you expect people to say about them. One really doesn't have much to do with the other. The only common bond is the same parent (Verizon communications). Whatever Verizon does with oath,FiOS, Yahoo, any of that really has no bearing on the wireless business.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zeus4509 View Post
    Oath and FiOS really don't have anything to do with Verizon wireless, those are Verizon communications subsidies, not sure what you expect people to say about them. One really doesn't have much to do with the other. The only common bond is the same parent (Verizon communications). Whatever Verizon does with oath,FiOS, Yahoo, any of that really has no bearing on the wireless business.
    I disagree. Watching media IMO is the future and VZW should offer something like AT&T / DirectTV.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Media and strategy wise, AT&T is running away with the ball. I simply wanted to see what others opinions were.

We're rapidly approaching a time period where being any one thing isn't going to be good enough for any carrier, as witnessed by the big two purchasing streak the last year or two.

Saying "this has nothing to do with wireless", is rapidly becoming like an ostrich sticking it's head in the sand.

IMJS

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Media and strategy wise, AT&T is running away with the ball. I simply wanted to see what others opinions were.

We're rapidly approaching a time period where being any one thing isn't going to be good enough for any carrier, as witnessed by the big two purchasing streak the last year or two.

Saying "this has nothing to do with wireless", is rapidly becoming like an ostrich sticking it's head in the sand.

IMJS
    Agreed that Verizon will have to do something, but I wouldn't say AT&T is running away with the ball. Their wireless service is still inferior in many places, and DirecTV is losing subscribers mainly because of their unseemly price practices. And even their "exclusive" NFL package is now available as a streaming service. And it doesn't help that the more extreme weather events we're seeing now (because of the "Chinese hoax" of climate change) means more satellite service interruptions. I don't think AT&T really knows yet the direction it wants to go, just that it wants to go somewhere, and it shows.
    ---
    Cellular One (AT&T), Sprint, now Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post

IMJS
    Yea, att is killing it with the direct TV and wireless offer. Just a question, if it is indeed the future, and it's what everybody wants, why has att been losing postpaid subs (which are the only ones who can bundle tv and wireless) like a leaky faucet ever since they acquired direct TV? It seems it may be one of those things that others keep telling us we want, yet not many actually care or really want it. Kind of like soccer in the u.s. anyways that wasn't my original point, my original point was the FiOS/oath side of Verizon and the wireless side are 2 different entities. Verizon and att aren't like tmobile where they have one business. They have many subsidies under the umbrella of the company name. What one side does has no bearing on the other.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I understand that thoroughly. My point is everything is converging in that if the big two want to be your everything, and manage to have success, then T-Mobile and Sprint would have to follow suit at some point.

Them getting there though is a ways off. However, Verizon is there today and will be launching their skinny bundle soon. So, you're telling me as a Verizon sub, that if they offered you a super cheap price for a skinny bundle on top of your Wireless plan you wouldn't be inclined to accept!?

Come on now...

Feedback Score
    Me personally? No, FiOS isn't offered in my area, wouldn't affect me or my choices a bit. I'd suspect honestly most Verizon wireless customers aren't FiOS customers, same as most att customers aren't u-verse or direct customers. They are completely different aspects of business. I agree the carriers and companies are looking to media content delivery as a means of producing more revenue, with wireless revenue slowing or decreasing across the board they are looking for other ways to make money, but seems to be only them trying to push the bundled services idea onto everyone else as oppose to everyone trying to get them to offer bundled services. Even att is seeing it's most growth not in bundled services but in prepaid and Mexico. Direct tv is just a separate entity that makes them money. If anything it's hurt their wireless brand as ever since they acquired direct, their postpaid wireless base has decreased. The bundled service approach hasn't worked for them, the opposite has happened, both direct and att postpaid have lost customers.

If say Verizon buys dish, they shouldn't assume their users will all jump to a bundled package, it usually doesn't happen like that. They would likely offer a bundled service, as att does, for those who do want it, but you keep dish a completely separate entity under the Verizon communications umbrella. Make the money on it's sling TV streaming service and the people that still want set top tv services. It would be a completely separate entity on its own. It's a separate form of revenue that's not tied to or any part of the wireless business. Completely separate forms of added revenue for the same parent company. That's what FiOS and oath are.
    Last edited by zeus4509; 06-24-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Speaking of FiOS verizon is really pushing hard to get subscribers. My area has had it for a long time now and recently they stated coming door to door to sell it. Also see reps in walmart all the time now trying to sell it

Wonder what their FiOS numbers are lately

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So are you guys just cord cutters altogether!?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sorry folks, this topic belongs in the lounge and not the cellular forum.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....