Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop account renewal snag?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    I was only observing that they both seem to be going down a similar path with the rate-limiting.

My point is not that I believed them (I never subscribed to the rate-limiting plans) but that a rate limiting plan proved to be technically infeasible and played a major role in the their collapse.

The same could happen here.

Or maybe in both cases they really knew ahead of time that the throttle would be more severe than they announced. I guess that's what you're suggesting?

If you want to just take the viewpoint that it's all fraud anyway, for both companies, and the details don't matter, fine, but I am not so sure either company would announce speed x and intentionally deliver only a fraction of that. Reckless indifference, certainly. But you could be right too that they knew all along in both cases.
    Did you not notice the wink smiley?

Still, Ring Plus was as shady as they come and FreedomPop still is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    Did you not notice the wink smiley?

Still, Ring Plus was as shady as they come and FreedomPop still is.
    Oh ok no problem then.

I am very worried about Freedom Pop, to be candid, and have been for some time. I cannot see that they can be viable long-term. This is particularly true with the major carriers getting aggressive in targeting prepaid or lower-use users themselves with their own products. It does look that they are cutting corners where expedient in both failing to fix downgrade issues promptly and now apparently failing to be candid in the way they are adding speed caps. They could be hit by a huge consumer protection lawsuit at any time.

Feedback Score
    >Hmmm, 1Mbps does not bode well for making calls over data stream.

1Mb/s is plenty for VoIP. The real issue is why you would want to do VoIP on Sprint data.

>So FreedomPop all of a sudden throttles data speeds and then wants you to pay to unthrottle those, scumbags is the nicest I can describe them.

Beggars can't be choosers. It's a "free" service, and you can always elect to pay up to get better speed or go elsewhere.

>I would say that if they have to resort to extortion to unthrottle "Sprint" data speeds then that tells me they are starving for revenue.

FP's MO is textbook-perfect: Reel em in with free service, then ratchet up the upsells. Yes, it sucks to be a free user, and that's the whole point. You're costing FP money, and it has an obligation to get you to pay however it can. It will get worse. I'd expect throttling on the SIM side once FP figures out how to do it.

>Guess I missed that e-mail FreedomPop sent out outlining this service change. Oh wait, I didn't get one.

Service and conditions can change at any time without notification.

>I cannot see that they can be viable long-term.

Why worry? The freebies won't last forever anyway. As with RingPlus in its heyday, I expect FP's freebies to last about a year, maybe two, before they get nerfed down to near-useless. I don't expect FP to go out of biz any time soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >

>I cannot see that they can be viable long-term.

Why worry? The freebies won't last forever anyway. As with RingPlus in its heyday, I expect FP's freebies to last about a year, maybe two, before they get nerfed down to near-useless. I don't expect FP to go out of biz any time soon.
    I do not worry for myself but the question is whether to continue to recommend it to friends or not.

It is getting too slow in my opinion to recommend for web use if it is down to 1 Mbps (but supposed to be 3 Mbps, which would be ok, I think. for many).

Feedback Score
    I'd just like to have reliable voice with fp at&t SIM, but only do you need data but that data has to be at least LTE to avoid embarrassing voice delay.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

1Mb/s is plenty for VoIP.
    Baloney, especially considering the varying ping times and you can forget being in motion.

Sorry, but any company with even a modicum of integrity and honesty would inform their customers of significant changes to their service.

..........and the rest, just the same ol' tired and beat to death talking points and platitudes not worth arguing over.

Always curious, is there a good reason you can't properly quote forum members?

Feedback Score
    >Baloney, especially considering the varying ping times and you can forget being in motion.

Get your facts straight. Ping time has nothing to do with speed, nor is the limitation of being in motion.

>Sorry, but any company with even a modicum of integrity and honesty would inform their customers of significant changes to their service.

As said, you are free to go to another service at any time. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use FP. Quit the whining and exercise your free choice. Yes, that last is still free.

>and the rest, just the same ol' tired and beat to death talking points and platitudes not worth arguing over.

What's tiring is your perpetual whining about free services.

>Always curious, is there a good reason you can't properly quote forum members?

What's curious is your definition of "proper," which I take to mean as anything to your taste. The world is a big place, and not everything will be to your liking. That doesn't make them "improper" or "dishonest."

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Blaa, Blaa, Blaa.
    LOL, the only thing you left out of your screed would be how Mint SIM is the holy grail.

Feedback Score
    LOL, the only thing you left out of your screed would be how Mint SIM is the holy grail.

Lol in mint we trust.

Feedback Score

1Mb/s is plenty for VoIP. The real issue is why you would want to do VoIP on Sprint data.
    I get 50-60ms ping on Sprint LTE with FP. Google Voice works perfectly fine at 1 Mbps. I've used it when the speed was as low as 300 kbps.

Latency is what matters most with VoIP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stin View Post
    I get 50-60ms ping on Sprint LTE with FP. Google Voice works perfectly fine at 1 Mbps. I've used it when the speed was as low as 300 kbps.

Latency is what matters most with VoIP.
    Yep that's absolutely correct

Feedback Score
    Second all the above. VoIP will work absolutely fine at 1 Mbps (UL or DL) speeds and low "ping"/latency and low "jitter."

FP is technically offering an OTT voice over cellular data service. While I'm not at all thrilled about the throttle, it (1) doesn't really undercut what they purport to offer, and (2) is a rather brilliant way for them to lower costs and "dissuade" those folks who snagged FP service to use the LTE data for things completely unrelated to FP's OTT Voice and Text offering. Clever. Annoyingly so...

Feedback Score
    I'm guessing most people are using WiFi for voice via fp at&t Sim. Voice via LTE is where I seem to have problems, I'm guessing it's because unlike volte , VoIP isn't optimized, my phone switches LTE bands constantly during the day, even stationary, it's not a fp thing only, as my net10 at&t Sim does the same thing. I'm finding fp for voice via the app or Hangouts just to unreliable. I'm paying under $10 right now for net10 unlimited talk and 3 gigs of data.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    If you are stationary, and have access to reliable WiFi, that is definitely the way to go for VoIP on a cellular handset.

If you are stationary, VoIP can often work extremely well over cellular LTE (whether Sprint or AT&T when using FP).

It is when you are moving that problems can occur when using VoIP over cellular LTE. It may be the changing of towers; it may be the fluctuation in latency; I dunno. But even then I have been surprised at how well VoIP over cellular LTE has =sometimes= worked in my car. Other times? Not so well...

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by e.mote

1Mb/s is plenty for VoIP.
    Baloney, especially considering the varying ping times and you can forget being in motion.

Sorry, but any company with even a modicum of integrity and honesty would inform their customers of significant changes to their service.
    Dude:

(1) You are completely wrong about saying "baloney" to "1Mb/s is plenty for VoIP." Immediately adding "especially considering the varying ping times and you can forget being in motion" to your sentence adds two complete non-sequitur concepts unrelated to your "baloney" about speeds.

(2) Then you go on to another unrelated non-sequitur relating to FP integrity. That, again, is unresponsive to e.motes's statement about the usability of VoIP at a particular speed.

There was VoiP before there was even cellular data, and early IP -- which worked just fine -- was an order of magnitude slower than 1 Mbps. I could, but won't, post lots of whitepapers on the subject...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast