Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: no more $50 unlocking fees in Canada and all new phones unlocked by default Dec 1

Device(s)
    Nokia 3100
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

no more $50 unlocking fees in Canada and all new phones unlocked by default Dec 1

good news today. no more unlocking fees in Canada soon. So oops every unlocking store just went out of business...

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Hardly
    Many people get phones from US (or other locations) where phones will continue to ship from locked
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    I guess we'll see how this shakes out. It is a step in the right direction, though.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Feedback Score
    I think that is a good thing not to lock phones. I mean is good for iPhones because the android is cheap to unlock

Sent from my HUAWEI MLA-L03 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    This is very good news. The lock was only ever meant to prevent customers from using their own property with other carriers and to extract extra money that was not related to the customer/carrier contract. No other industry I can think of is so allowed to add an intentional defect for the sole purpose of grabbing more money they aren't entitled to.

There will be some negative side effects.
    Although the unlocking fees generated millions of dollars, this is peanuts for the carriers. But they will likely try to recoup it, or rather exceed it, though new fees.
    Guesses:
    -New $50 SIM fees and SIMs expire every 2 years. This would generate massively more money since not all customers unlock though the carriers and all customers need new SIMs. Only viable if all of the big 3 and their flankers agree to this new charge at the same time.
    -New $50 admin fee, on top of all existing admin fees, for buying a phone through a carrier. Slightly reduced if you buy it on contract.
    -New $50 activation fee for all new lines. Again only if all of the big 3 do it.
    -layoffs
    -Even higher rate plans, but that would happen anyway.

There will be a lot of collusion coordination between the big 3 to make this work for them.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    There will be a lot of collusion coordination between the big 3 to make this work for them.
    Nope, you had it right the first time, COLLUSION

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    If I lived in a border city, I'd get service with a US provider, and flip the Big 3 the Big Bird.

It seems Canadians pay far above what the rest of NA does for everything. Even the friggin Aussie dollar is stronger these days. That's BS!

Feedback Score
    I do not like the lock if the phones. But it is like the lease. If you do not pay in full your car or your house it is not yours.
    Same they lease the phones because each month you pay some to phone price when you enter in contract. That's why one of the reasons i do not use iPhones under the contract.
    With android for $10-$15 more or less it can be unlocked easily.
    And with the new roam like home a head ache regarding using the phone abroad is gone. I am with fido and no matter where i traveled I was ok. We spent hours talking back home or in the country we were. As i have 2gb of data and unlimited minutes or text no pain at all.
    The only problem is that some abroad networks are very poor. Mainly on the beaches in Caraibe.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marflo View Post
    I do not like the lock if the phones. But it is like the lease. If you do not pay in full your car or your house it is not yours.
    Same they lease the phones because each month you pay some to phone price when you enter in contract. That's why one of the reasons i do not use iPhones under the contract.
    And with the new roam like home a head ache regarding using the phone abroad is gone. I am with fido and no matter where i traveled I was ok. We spent hours talking back home or in the country we were. As i have 2gb of data and unlimited minutes or text no pain at all.
    The only problem is that some abroad networks are very poor. Mainly on the beaches in Caraibe.

It's not like leasing a car at all. It's more like buying a car through financing or buying a house with a mortgage. You own it. It's yours. You owe money on it, but it's still yours and Honda and the bank cannot tell you when and where you are allowed to use your car nor whom you are allowed to have in you home. That's what a lock does, it controls and restricts how you are allowed to your your property.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score

Its a lease as in if Toyota locked you into buying esso gas only. If its a lease then they should take the phone back without penlaty if I decide to not continue the service. Does that happen? No? Then its a scam.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    New $50 activation fee for all new lines. Again only if all of the big 3 do it.
    Close. Bell just made it $25 for activation fee, and sim. They're now tied together. http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/28/be...-sim-card-fee/

The rape of Canada continues.

Feedback Score
    New $50 activation fee for all new lines. Again only if all of the big 3 do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    Close. Bell just made it $25 for activation fee, and sim. They're now tied together. http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/28/be...-sim-card-fee/

The rape of Canada continues.
    I'm glad SOME people have a grasp of basic economics. Here's a general rule for all you 'government will save us do-gooders' out there:

ANYTIME the government mandates something, it gets MORE EXPENSIVE and the QUALITY GOES DOWN.

The end. Want to argue? Read a history book. The reason the 'big 3' are able to get away with the pricing power they have is BECAUSE they have lobbied the government for their entrenched positions. No competitors are allowed in. In the provinces that have a legitimate 4th competitor (Manitoba Telecom, SaskTel, Videotron) rates are MUCH LOWER. So the answer isn't 'get the government to do something about it', the answer is 'get the government to remove almost every piece of legislation regulating the industry and let competitors freely in'.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Its a lease as in if Toyota locked you into buying esso gas only. If its a lease then they should take the phone back without penlaty if I decide to not continue the service. Does that happen? No? Then its a scam.
    You are right. I only wished to stress that as long they give a subsidized phone with $0 or more they can also have some restrictions. Lately i unlocked my android phone Huawei nova plus for $15 on ebay. No hassle at all. Good luck. Happy Canada day!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    You are right. I only wished to stress that as long they give a subsidized phone with $0 or more they can also have some restrictions. Lately i unlocked my android phone Huawei nova plus for $15 on ebay. No hassle at all. Good luck. Happy Canada day!

why would you want to stress that? Contractually they can't have additional restrictions. That goes beyond the contract and it's the contract that covers that $0 phone.

that's literally like saying as long as you agree to a long and expensive contract and they trade for a discount on a phone, they should be able to have your left nut. That makes no sense of course but that the gist of your argument for locks.

Feedback Score
    It is a never ending debate? I don't care about the whole thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast