Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Shaw Acquires Spectrum From Quebecor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Quebecor is in bed with Rogers so these are all talk to say something nice to the media.
    Exactly!!! Quebecor would have rather sold the spectrum to Rogers for a higher price but knew it would not go through.

Feedback Score
    So when I look to buy a phone, should I look for something that has 1700/2100 freq as well as band 66?

I am confused .

Please explain. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenam View Post
    So when I look to buy a phone, should I look for something that has 1700/2100 freq as well as band 66?

I am confused .

Please explain. Thanks.
    If you are talking about LTE then you have no worries. Band 66 has 1700/2100 AWS1 and AWS3 built in.

Sent from my SM-G955W using HoFo mobile app
    Telus: No Overage Plan 50gb - VIP 20% + $5 Call Forwarding = $105 + TAX

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by emann56 View Post
    If you are talking about LTE then you have no worries. Band 66 has 1700/2100 AWS1 and AWS3 built in.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I'm talking about LTE but also want to make sure that I can get non-LTE where there is no LTE coverage.

Btw, do all band 66 phone also compatible all other carriers?

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenam View Post

Btw, do all band 66 phone also compatible all other carriers?
    Yes, as all Band 66 phones support most of the famous LTE bands used by all major carriers.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by >tEwis_mObiwiTy View Post
    It's very likely but Freedom has not communicated when and in what order the spectrum will be utilized. Band 66 will be your only choice until at least the end of the year.
    It's also critical for them to get voLTE started. Band 13 on voLTE would be amazing.

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    Currently Videotron and Bell. Has used PM, Wind, Koodo, Koodo, Bell
    Feedback Score

Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by phoneseeker101 View Post
    On a side note, NOW is the time to switch to Freedom LTE if you're still on a 3G plan. 700 Mhz will provide good indoor reception and farther coverage, while 2500 will provide extra capacity and speed. Once the spectrum is implemented, I'm sure the plans will increase in price. Unfortunately, Ottawa will get left out again due to a lack of availabile spectrum.
    Being in Ottawa, network is far from reliable (specially downtown) and footprint is abysmal (in the East and South East). LTE is coming this summer, but with no additional spectrum, it may be time to take advantages of some deals going on right now. I have SIMs ready, if anyone in Ottawa is interested.

5 GB on Freedom to 4 GB with true throughput...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmd View Post
    Being in Ottawa, network is far from reliable (specially downtown) and footprint is abysmal (in the East and South East). LTE is coming this summer, but with no additional spectrum, it may be time to take advantages of some deals going on right now. I have SIMs ready, if anyone in Ottawa is interested.

5 GB on Freedom to 4 GB with true throughput...
    LTE in Ottawa has been confirmed coming on June 29th.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneseeker101 View Post
    On a side note, NOW is the time to switch to Freedom LTE if you're still on a 3G plan. 700 Mhz will provide good indoor reception and farther coverage, while 2500 will provide extra capacity and speed. Once the spectrum is implemented, I'm sure the plans will increase in price. Unfortunately, Ottawa will get left out again due to a lack of availabile spectrum.
    It is because of Ottawa that gives me hope that 3G plans will be upgraded to LTE. I am willing to pay an additional cost to keep my 20gb plan.

Device(s)
    LG V30
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by emann56 View Post
    LTE in Ottawa has been confirmed coming on June 29th.

Can you give a source that LTE in Ottawa is confirmed in Ottawa on June 29th?
    I only ask because I have been hearing several times that LTE will be launching, earliest was on May 15th, then May 30th, June 2nd, June 15th and now June 29th...

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    Currently Videotron and Bell. Has used PM, Wind, Koodo, Koodo, Bell
    Feedback Score
    In the meantime, I have a brand new Samsung A5 2017 that keeps roaming on Rogers while at home; we are well within coverage.

This makes the phone useless, not able to make or receive calls, and the same goes for text messages and data connections.

I've seen four phones on Freedom with the same issue at our house.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmd View Post
    In the meantime, I have a brand new Samsung A5 2017 that keeps roaming on Rogers while at home; we are well within coverage.

This makes the phone useless, not able to make or receive calls, and the same goes for text messages and data connections.

I've seen four phones on Freedom with the same issue at our house.
    Are you at the fringe of the coverage zone? What happens if you manually pick Freedom?

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Rogers and Telus step up wireless promotions to counter serious threat from Freedom Mobile
    Financial Post, June 26
    Emily Jackson

Canada’s major wireless players appear to be treating Shaw Communications Inc.’s mobile business as a more serious threat after its latest play to expand its network, a move some researchers see as a welcome, but preliminary sign, of increased competition in the national arena.

Both Rogers Communications Inc. and Telus Corp. launched wireless promotions specifically targeting Shaw’s Freedom Mobile after it acquired spectrum from Quebecor Inc. in a $430-million deal in early June, Barclays analyst Phillip Huang wrote in a research note this weekend.
    Even though the Freedom-specific promotions only target select customers, Carleton University communication professor Dwayne Winseck saw it as a positive for the industry that is dominated by the Big Three.

“This is definitely a welcome sign that there is some competition,” he said, with the caveat that the deal only applies at the margin of the market thus far.

Deals that include increased data caps — the cheaper plans have typically offered only 1 GB or 2 GB of data — call into question the refrain that carriers offer low data caps because of spectrum scarcity, Winseck said.

“If the spectrum scarcity argument is taking a hit here from Shaw’s entry into the market and its acquisition of the spectrum… it starts to chisel away at a claim that’s kept data caps low and prices high in Canada.”

--
    it'll be competition when RBT's 'competitive' pricing is available to the public at large
    otherwise the targeted and regional promos are anti-competition

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Looks like RBT is actually scared that Shaw is about to eat into their pie. Good. Shut RBT out of the 600 Mhz spectrum and place a cap - if you own > 50 Mhz, you are ineligible for any auction.
    (We had that law until it was lobbied out. US has such a rule. Every country int he planet has such a rule)

Device(s)
    Samsung S4
    Carrier(s)
    WindMobile
    Feedback Score
    ISED approves transfer of Videotron spectrum licenses to Freedom Mobile

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/10/is...ampaign=buffer
    Come Visit The Farside, If you Dare!

Can you save Al Gore?

*Not the real Adam Savage, just a fan*

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast