Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Shaw Acquires Spectrum From Quebecor

Device(s)
    Samsung s8+
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Kingston will be let out to service here is getting worse to few towers have reported about 125 locations where you get 1 bar to - 0 bars out doors in the main hub and around the city

Quote Originally Posted by phoneseeker101 View Post
    On a side note, NOW is the time to switch to Freedom LTE if you're still on a 3G plan. 700 Mhz will provide good indoor reception and farther coverage, while 2500 will provide extra capacity and speed. Once the spectrum is implemented, I'm sure the plans will increase in price. Unfortunately, Ottawa will get left out again due to a lack of availabile spectrum.
    Freedom Mobile
    Line 1:
    $59 LTE Plan for $59
    Line 2: $45 Unlimited everything a month $45

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sipahi View Post
    Thanks for your reply, but is the band 66 a must to use LTE in Freedoms networks?

I would like to know,
    Ah ok. Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Shaw’s Freedom Mobile wants to grab quarter of wireless market
    Financial Post, June 14

Investing additional $350M to deploy the new spectrum in existing markets.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity -> WIND -> Public Mobile -> Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    Shaw’s Freedom Mobile wants to grab quarter of wireless market
    Financial Post, June 14

Investing additional $350M to deploy the new spectrum in existing markets.
    Excellent news.

Feedback Score
    Lol, and Wind Mobile wanted over one million subscribers by when? I do give them credit for having the gumption to be bold. Maybe during the melee, some cheap deals will come our way regardless of which carrier we are with. I hope that is how competition works.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    Right now, yes

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
    even in Future, unless Freedom acquires more B7 / B13 spectrum.

Band 66 will always be their primary for the next few years, given its better than B7 (2500DN / 2600UP).

B13 is a blessing but again due to limited availability it'll be only helpful in capacity rather than delivering amazing coverage.

Indoor coverage Freedom will forever rely on WiFi Calling until maybe 600MHz auction.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Device(s)
    Nexus all the way
    Carrier(s)
    Shwind (formerly Wind) Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So the 700 MHz that Brad Shaw is referring to doesn't include the GTA?

Brad Shaw, CEO of Shaw, stated, “We believe this incremental investment in our wireless business, particularly with the addition of the 700 MHz spectrum, will materially improve our long-term wireless customer experience, and will further enable our ability to offer converged network solutions.”

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    sammy
    Carrier(s)
    bell mobility :-)
    Feedback Score
    In discussing 700 MBS C1, Shaw bought the rights to the entire provinces of BC and Alberta along with Southern Ontario. There is a map on the IC website that will show you the boundaries of "Southern". It definitely includes the GTA.

The only area that is in a very difficult position in Eastern Ontario. They still only have their AWS-1 20 Mhz block. Eastern Ontario starts at about Cobourg and extends to Ottawa. This means don't expect continuous highway coverage along the 401 or 416 in the near future.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't Eastern Ontario stretch into Quebec making Shaw the fifth player in that market?

Sent from my Passport using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile (formerly Wind)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markf_2 View Post
    Doesn't Eastern Ontario stretch into Quebec making Shaw the fifth player in that market?

Sent from my Passport using HoFo mobile app
    Nope this block is Ottawa-Outaouais. Which covers, Peterborough and anything east of this city.

Everyone in Peterborough, Coburg, Clarington, Kingston and Ottawa are SOL. Only band 4 LTE.

Could be that Shaw is planning to share something or sell something (North Quebec spectrum) to get access to Videotron towers and spectrum. I expect the Videotron-Rogers agreement to soon end.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using HoFo mobile app
    I will never buy an HTC ever again! (two broke within 4 years, which were well taken care of)

Learn about price collusion, https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...n_of_canadian/ Canada has the highest utility rates in the G7 countries. Say no to price collusion, be informed of the CCTS, Industry Canada and the CRTC. The working class needs affordability in today's society.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz0311 View Post
    Everyone in Peterborough, Coburg, Clarington, Kingston and Ottawa are SOL. Only band 4 LTE.

Could be that Shaw is planning to share something or sell something (North Quebec spectrum) to get access to Videotron towers and spectrum. I expect the Videotron-Rogers agreement to soon end.
    You know, there were some interesting comments from Quebecor yesterday.

Quebecor chief financial officer Jean-François Pruneau, also speaking at the forum, said the transaction with Shaw is positive since it puts spectrum in the hands of a new entrant.

“It’s obviously positive for the Canadian consumers because they will most likely benefit from lower prices in the future,” Pruneau said. Wireless prices are lower and data caps are higher in provinces where there is a strong fourth player, such as Quebec and Saskatchewan.

Plus, Quebecor benefits from stronger competition against the Big Three, Pruneau said.

“Shaw’s competitors are the same as our competitors. If we strengthen Shaw by giving them access to our spectrum, there’s an indirect benefit for us,” he said, later confirming that Videotron’s objective remains to grab 25 per cent of the market.

- Financial Post, June 14
    Last edited by pjw918; 06-15-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: date

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    You know, there were some interesting comments from Quebecor yesterday.

Quebecor chief financial officer Jean-François Pruneau, also speaking at the forum, said the transaction with Shaw is positive since it puts spectrum in the hands of a new entrant.

“It’s obviously positive for the Canadian consumers because they will most likely benefit from lower prices in the future,” Pruneau said. Wireless prices are lower and data caps are higher in provinces where there is a strong fourth player, such as Quebec and Saskatchewan.

Plus, Quebecor benefits from stronger competition against the Big Three, Pruneau said.

“Shaw’s competitors are the same as our competitors. If we strengthen Shaw by giving them access to our spectrum, there’s an indirect benefit for us,” he said, later confirming that Videotron’s objective remains to grab 25 per cent of the market.

- Financial Post, June 14
    There are lines to read between in this speech...

Although Jean-Franc isn't The Boss, he could be echoing the sentiments of the boardroom.

Have any Shaw board members moved to Quebec recently? (Or vice-versa?)

Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    There are lines to read between in this speech...

Although Jean-Franc isn't The Boss, he could be echoing the sentiments of the boardroom.

Have any Shaw board members moved to Quebec recently? (Or vice-versa?)

Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app
    Quebecor is in bed with Rogers so these are all talk to say something nice to the media.

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I am not familiar to all this lingo but does that mean I will be able to use any phone with LTE in GTA or still have to stick to band 66 phones?

Device(s)
    sammy
    Carrier(s)
    bell mobility :-)
    Feedback Score
    It's very likely but Freedom has not communicated when and in what order the spectrum will be utilized. Band 66 will be your only choice until at least the end of the year.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast