Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Koodo Mobile to Launch Roam Like Home Feature in Late August/September

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    You're welcome. That's good news I guess. My wife is on the MB $48 plan as well and this will come very handy when she travels to UAE.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Also confirmed online that it shows on the plan.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    Try texting ROAM to 7626
    Thank you so much! I was afraid we'd have to call them and risk MB plan to be taken away...

Device(s)
    Next Big Thing is Here
    Carrier(s)
    ell tabadorr
    Feedback Score
    was able to activate easy roam on QC 8GB plan online
    $68/20GB CA Voice/MMS/TXT - Telus

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What is NOT covered?
    - North American Toll Free Exchanges (1-800, 844, 855, 866, 877, and 888) from outside of North America which are charged the roaming pay-per-use overage rate.
    - Easy Roam is not available for use on cruise ships or other satellite locations. Roaming pay-per-use rates for cruise ships, in-flight and satellite locations apply.
    - Easy Roam U.S. is not compatible with any recurring U.S. add-ons, as these plans already cover calling, texting, and roaming within the U.S.
    Add-on voice features such as International Long Distance Saver, China and Hong Kong Unlimited, U.K. Unlimited, France Unlimited, India 1000 Minutes, are not eligible to be used with Easy Roam. These features require the call to originate in Canada

Those that got the 1000 free international minutes last holiday season, must be careful when using the new Koodo Easy Roam.

Also billing is restricted to $100

From Koodomobile.com:
    - In the U.S. or eligible International destinations, once customers spend $100 in Easy Roam charges, they won't be charged the daily Easy Roam fee so they can continue to use their plan for the remainder of their bill cycle at no charge

From Telus.com:
    - For US Destinations, the $7 per day fee will be capped at $100 per billing cycle.
    - For International Destinations, the $10 per day fee will be capped at $150 per billing cycle.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score

Post Roaming Like Home: Big on Convenience, on Value Not So Much

[Putting this thread on the front page...]

Name:  koodo-easy-roam.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  30.8 KB

This week Koodo finally joined the ranks of other Canadian carriers in offering its own "roam like home" service; for a daily charge of either $7 or $10 CAD you can access your data bucket in the USA or the rest of the world. And while its uninspired moniker, Easy Roam, isn't so impressive, the list of supported countries definitely is. Plus you can sign up for the service via SMS, like I did above.

I know what you're thinking: I must really feel like an loser owning this dog of a dual SIM phone, right? I mean, what a waste of money that thing turned out to be! Yeah, not so much...

Let's do some math on my upcoming winter vacation, to (big surprise) Hong Kong and Japan. We'll be going to Osaka first and spending 9 nights there. Using Easy Roam for those 9 nights would cost my girlfriend and I $90 each, or $180 for the both of us. With local taxes that comes to a total of $203.40 CAD. But if we rent a WiFi hotspot like we've done in the past, we would instead pay only $134 USD, or about $167 CAD, with no additional taxes (see option 3 here). More importantly, that hotspot rental comes with an extra 9 GB of LTE data to share between us.

Granted, there is the hassle of carrying an extra gadget around and keeping it charged, and also staying within range of itif we split up on separate shopping trips then only the person with the hotspot will be connected. However, the numbers don't lie: for two people in this scenario, renting a hotspot is definitely cheaper.

When it comes to Hong Kong there's no contest. For $118 HKDthe equivalent of just $19 CADwhat I believe to be the world's best tourist SIM gives each of us 5 GB of LTE data over 8 days. Using Easy Roam for those same 8 days would cost more than 4 times as much!

So why did I even bother activating Easy Roam at all? Convenience, mostly. I can think of at least two additional scenarios where it would come in very handy. The first is transiting through an airport or a layover where there's no free WiFi. It happens, sometimes. And Easy Roam would come in very handy at a destination where there's no good local SIM solutionlike if we don't feel like buying a pair of BlackBerries just to use in Bermuda, for example.

It's great that all six brands of Canada's Big Three carriers now offer a more affordable way of roaming internationally. Just know that they're not necessarily the best value when travelling abroad.

Source: Mobile Syrup
    My mobile memoirs free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I think the biggest factor is being left out here... you are paying to use your own telephone number internationally. The local sim comparisons dont count if people dont have your number, or if its some rando Hong Kong number that isnt familiar to Canadians.

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score
    People still make phone calls...?

Seriously, though, this is why WhatsApp and other non-SMS messaging platforms are so popular in the rest of the world. One's phone number is more or less irrelevant.

On the few occasions that I've needed to call home I've used my SIP number with VoIP.ms; airtime rates from Hong Kong are less than one cent per minute—not sure if that's HKD or CAD, but still pretty reasonable.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Very glad this came out when this did. I'll be on a work trip to a conference in San Francisco in November. Work will pay for the roaming anyway so at least the fee is reasonable enough not to bug their eyes out. But certainly it's helpful that client phone calls will still go through my usual phone number rather than juggling the extra SIM.

I did buy a SIM mind you. But it only cost me a few bucks.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 LE
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just received a confirmation text from Koodo that it's live now
    ""Wine'm, dine'm, sixty9'm""

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad to see Koodo has finally launched this, and even happier to see they're not restricting it to certain plans like Fido.

I'll keep using a local SIM card for my longer trips to the US and overseas, but for short cross border trips I'm not going to bother with Roam Mobility and the like anymore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CorSter View Post
    Glad to see Koodo has finally launched this, and even happier to see they're not restricting it to certain plans like Fido.

I'll keep using a local SIM card for my longer trips to the US and overseas, but for short cross border trips I'm not going to bother with Roam Mobility and the like anymore.
    I would be nice though if they capped it at a lower rate. $100 cap for US roaming seems excessive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Would be nice - but again, if I'm going to be in the US for 10 days, I'll still use a local sim with a $25-35 prepaid monthly plan.

Rogers/Fido caps theirs to 10 days of usage, if I recall correctly, so $60 in a month. Better, but still twice the cost of a prepaid monthly plan down there.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    What are the rate plan restrictions? I have the $48/5GB plan (not the semi-illegal SK/MB one) and it's not letting me add the pack online...
    trekkie604 [ Phone Photos ]

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trek. View Post
    What are the rate plan restrictions? I have the $48/5GB plan (not the semi-illegal SK/MB one) and it's not letting me add the pack online...
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=16913379

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trek. View Post
    Text either EASY or ROAM to 7626 - should work on any plan.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast