Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How insane are TELUS executives who justify these data overage rates?

Feedback Score

How insane are TELUS executives who justify these data overage rates?

Additional data usage will be charged to the subscriber using the data at $5/100 MB for the first 1000 MB (rounded up to the closest 100 MB at the end of the billing cycle). Usage thereafter will be charged to the subscriber using the data at 10¢/MB.

That is at least $102.4/GB, and will actually be a few hundred dollars after they do their rounding shenanigans - notice that it is not rounded up at the end of the billing cycle like the first GB, which is already unbelievable at $50~.

Bell's rate is $0.07/MB.
    Rogers is $5/100MB up to 10GB.

At least with Bhell and Robbers, people know that they are going to be robbed beforehand. TELUS looks all friendly to the general population with their customer service, and all the other deceiving crap: "Your Choice" plans, We put "YOU first" slogan, etc. Two-faced crooks. Can't even adjust their name like Bhell/Robbers to reflect what they really are.
    Last edited by 5714; 04-19-2017 at 04:59 AM.

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's because they can. The three amigos are an oligopoly. Unfortunately, Freedom Mobile didn't turn out to be the T-Mobile of Canada forcing the market to adapt to a new reality.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    I hope freedom continues to evolve in the hands of Shaw. Once freedom gets the LTE iphone, we might see some competition.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Indeed. Example: In Québec, where Vidéotron is well established, Fido offers 6 GB for $49 and 8 GB for $56. In Ontario, 2 GB is $75 and 3 GB is $85.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    $100/GB... Lol

Sent from my LG-H873 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    If enough people refused to sign up for these ridiculous plans, the carriers would be forced to adapt, or fail. Unfortunately the old 3 keep raising rates on a regular schedule, and the market continues to bear them. Since the Competition Bureau's position is 'customers should negotiate' and people by and large don't, nothing looks to change anytime soon.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    If enough people refused to sign up for these ridiculous plans, the carriers would be forced to adapt, or fail.
    Evidently people love paying through the nose. Too many people confuse the convenience of large data plans, with the need for large data plans.

When there is an excess of something, it becomes dirt cheap. Conversely, imagined scarcity creates extreme prices.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Feedback Score
    THIS IS
    CANADA

$100 /GB is the norm, not sure why you're surprised the whole country is a ripoff. Yet the Liberals are about to spend $50,000,000 on basic income for people who don't both climbing the career ladder.

Device(s)
    Motorola Defy
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    If you don't like the price then don't buy it. I have several friends with zero data -- there's enough free Wi-Fi around to meet their needs.

I haven't seen a necessary app that uses a lot of data. Watching youtube videos doesn't count.

(I have 5GB and have never passed the 1GB mark.)

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    I've been close on occasion, but never gone over. When I saw the in-market QC plan with 7GB and unlimited calling for $62 when I was paying $65 for 6 and limited minutes though, I got angry and called in to push for a match. They couldn't match it due to system restrictions placed on the newest plans, but eventually I ended up with 10GB without paying more. WIFI coverage is far from ubiquitous across the country; IMO it's best to have enough of a buffer than you can use the phone to the fullest without feeling constrained, so long as the price is acceptable.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    THIS IS
    CANADA

$100 /GB is the norm, not sure why you're surprised the whole country is a ripoff. Yet the Liberals are about to spend $50,000,000 on basic income for people who don't both climbing the career ladder.
    Universal Basic Income or negative income tax works well in Finland where they aren't afraid to tax everything to pay for it... With 32% of the 15-64 year olds not working the people appear to love it...

Perhaps if the HST got cranked up to 24% and the municipalities opened up an income tax of about 20% we could afford it...

It worked well in Greece, don't forget...

They pay less for cellular data than we do, however. That makes it better.

Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hinglemar View Post
    If you don't like the price then don't buy it. I have several friends with zero data -- there's enough free Wi-Fi around to meet their needs.

I haven't seen a necessary app that uses a lot of data. Watching youtube videos doesn't count.

(I have 5GB and have never passed the 1GB mark.)
    So you're saying become a poor piece of s*** because the telcos don't want to provide a reasonable data price? Might as well live in Russia - because that's going SO GREAT.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    So you're saying become a poor piece of s*** because the telcos don't want to provide a reasonable data price? Might as well live in Russia - because that's going SO GREAT.
    It is very reasonable what current rates are
    Need a phone pay Telus big bucks
    Need a basic phone pay Koodo rates
    Don't need a phone pay less on Public

All 3 are same network just you need to prioritise what is important to you
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    At $50 of data overage (1st GB), data is suspended and the user or account holder is asked for consent to continue, as required by the CRTC.

Could someone post the actual text of the confirmation prompt from Telus? (ideally a screenshot)

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    At $50 of data overage (1st GB), data is suspended and the user or account holder is asked for consent to continue, as required by the CRTC.

Could someone post the actual text of the confirmation prompt from Telus? (ideally a screenshot)

Thanks.
    Name:  tls50.png
Views: 333
Size:  60.5 KB

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/DocW...19&Type=Notice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast