Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Mobile buys customer new iPhone after finding out dealer sold a refurbished 1

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score

Freedom Mobile buys customer new iPhone after finding out dealer sold a refurbished 1

Feedback Score
    Yep, that was the cheapest way for avoiding what should have been something more costlier to WIND/Freedom. Selling used iPhones and pretending to carry that product in their line up was a bad idea that could have been met with more serious repercussions.

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seekr View Post
    Yep, that was the cheapest way for avoiding what should have been something more costlier to WIND/Freedom. Selling used iPhones and pretending to carry that product in their line up was a bad idea that could have been met with more serious repercussions.
    This wasn't the refurb phones they were selling last year. This is a dealer dumping their own stock of crap on customers. Obviously there are many more who are doing this, just this one got caught and called out.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    This wasn't the refurb phones they were selling last year. This is a dealer dumping their own stock of crap on customers. Obviously there are many more who are doing this, just this one got caught and called out.
    And that's somehow different because....?

In both scenarios:
    • you have a company or a dealer selling hardware they are not authorized to do.
    • the stock sold was refurbished, and may or did have parts replaced.
    • both WIND and this shady dealer never clearly specified the products were "refurbished" instead WIND opted for confusing terminology of "lightly loved" (http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/06/23/wi...and-iphone-5c/)

At the end of the day it's a company who once sold unauthorized hardware on their network, picking up the tab for another customer getting duped by the same scheme.

I mean, really, I'd like to see Shaw do this for every customer that was tricked into buying illegitimate iPhones from WIND with the same resolution. That'd be more impressive than this cheap PR stunt.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 10.26.48 AM.png
Views: 585
Size:  178.4 KB
    Source for image, and you can browse the site too, to see how WIND chose to hide what condition these iPhones were in: http://web.archive.org/web/201506271...phone-5c-16-gb

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Lightly loved always meant Refurbished.

These were obtained from Ingram which is a reputable source. The dealer was selling a phone that probably fell off the back of a truck.

I should note that back in the day, many shady Mobi dealers were also hawking mystery phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Lightly loved always meant Refurbished.

These were obtained from Ingram which is a reputable source. The dealer was selling a phone that probably fell off the back of a truck.

I should note that back in the day, many shady Mobi dealers were also hawking mystery phones.
    I know that, and you know that about Lightly Loved, a lot of regular consumers don't. And they never did.
    I'm just saying, there much more similarity than contrasting between what this independent dealer did and the corp store.

Side note: anyone google street view this location? It screams "legitimate" shop..... (sarcasm)

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've called about issues with dealers. Shaw/Freedom doesn't really care about how shady their dealers are. It tarnishes their name.

This story doesn't surprise me at all. I've had a few run ins with dealers doing shady things

Sent from my Passport using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    So Freedom does something right and all you guys can think of is how to bash them? Well done.

Can you remember the time when big 3 dealers messed up and the big 3 "made it right"? Oh yeah you dont.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    So Freedom does something right and all you guys can think of is how to bash them? Well done.

Can you remember the time when big 3 dealers messed up and the big 3 "made it right"? Oh yeah you dont.
    They haven't made it right. They still let these dealers cheat and lie their way to profits using their name.

If they wanted to make it right, they'd have a dealer code of conduct that would be punishable by losing the right to be a dealer. This hasn't happened yet and probably never will.

I have no problem bashing them because I've told them numerous times about the shady stuff that goes on at the dealers. Last time, they allowed someone who's name is not on my account to take out a $1000 loan for a phone on my credit to make a sale. That dealer still operates under the Freedom banner. As far as I'm concerned, dealers are fraudsters and if Freedom wants to clean up, they need to get rid of all these dealers once and for all.

Sent from my Passport using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post

Yes I can show you many cheap publicity stunts by the incumbents. Why should shaw get a free pass? Again if "wrong" they fixed was a dealer selling shady used hardwares when they shouldn't have then good by all means do it for the other thousands of users who bought lightly loved iPhones too.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Yes I can show you many cheap publicity stunts by the incumbents. Why should shaw get a free pass? Again if "wrong" they fixed was a dealer selling shady used hardwares when they shouldn't have then good by all means do it for the other thousands of users who bought lightly loved iPhones too.
    There is a big difference between a dealer or corporate store selling "lightly loved" (refurbished) phones and a dealer selling a phone with counterfeit and aftermarket components.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by laxplayer19 View Post
    There is a big difference between a dealer or corporate store selling "lightly loved" (refurbished) phones and a dealer selling a phone with counterfeit and aftermarket components.
    What's that? The marketing budget?

Feedback Score
    Arguably the buck should stop at Shaw's front steps. However, much of these franchisees probably were carry overs from the Wind days with lax agreements. I don't know about about other places, in the GTA I have seen some dealers that are shadier than used car salespeople.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    What's that? The marketing budget?
    You do not know the difference between a legitimate refurbished item using OEM parts and a device that was put together using counterfeit or aftermarket parts? Difference must just be the marketing budget, smh...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by laxplayer19 View Post
    You do not know the difference between a legitimate refurbished item using OEM parts and a device that was put together using counterfeit or aftermarket parts? Difference must just be the marketing budget, smh...
    Yeah, the only legitimate refurbs I can think of buying from Apple, come from Apple. Who else SELLS used iPhones that's approved by Apple? Certainly not anyone who isn't selling NEW iPhones.

So yes there is a legitimate refurbished Apple IPhone sale, it was just never through WINDs "lightly loved marketing scheme" or this shady dealer.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/ho...aldeals/iphone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast