Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My TMO Breakup Story

Feedback Score

My TMO Breakup Story

I worked for TMO years ago. Back in 2000-2005, TMO was great in cities on their network, and had amazing nationwide roaming agreements that made it rock solid nationwide on highways and between cities.

I'm not sure what happened with the rollout of LTE, but something went very wrong. Whether it was overselling the network, or just not filling in the problem areas when the CA\NV and nationwide roaming partnerships were sunsetted. It's gotten so bad that now I occasionally see Edge, and even an occasional GPRS, which is insane for 2017. To not be able to use the service in major airports is a joke. TMO is doing the very thing they called the "big guys" out for doing back in the days... claiming coverage where coverage doesn't exist. Their new "end of 2017 LTE map" is a joke, an absolute joke, and someone needs to take them to court over it because it's an outright lie like their end of 2016 map was.

I have had 8 lines on ATT and 3 on TMO for 5+ years each. Both carriers have had their share of marketing\promotional issues that upset me, but I've kept both for a long time. The cost per line for ATT and TMO were about the same (about $33 a line) from 2012 to 2016. When TMO and ATT came out with their new plans in 2016\2017, my cost per line rose slightly with ATT due to unlimited. However, I kept the 3 lines with TMO as secondary lines because of the unlimited throttled international roaming.

I finally broke up with TMO the other day. I did the math, and it no longer makes sense to have the 3 lines with TMO. Having them as secondary for slow 128-256kbps international roaming makes no sense anymore as it's the only remaining benefit TMO has over ATT. However, with the cost of having the lines, I calculated I'd have to buy more than 42 day passes per year before it even broke even to keep TMO. Furthermore, ATT's daypasses are LTE and unlimited, AND include voice calling, a huge benefit over TMO.

So now I have 11 lines at ATT, all unlimited, and don't miss TMO for a moment. It baffles me when I called to cancel they asked why and I said network quality and being treated like a second class customer because I've been there for 10+ years. She said those two are the two reasons she hears all day. If TMO wants to churn customers, so be it... it works for today, but every customer who churns likely won't be back.

Hopefully someone at TMO monitors these forums for candid feedback. I like what TMO stands for, but promise has to be followed by execution, and that's really lacking right now.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As for Network coverage, don't hold your breath on them actually paying attention. They really are working hard to improve their network, and in this area their coverage is much better than it was a few years ago. That said, they really can't do much about coverage in multiple areas for a single customer. That is just how networks work, you either wait until they upgrade, or switch.

When it comes to customer service, they just don't care, and if they do care don't care enough to actually fix anything. I have been having to either go to a store, or call in and wait on hold and then argue for an hour to get my bill fixed every single month. We should be paying about $170 per month, and after fighting with them that is about what we pay, but every month for the last six months we have been billed nearly $300, we call in, they "fix" the problem, issue credit, and a couple of weeks later we get another $300 bill.

If it were just a few bucks we would let it go and move on. It isn't. It is $100 or more per month. I could switch to the most expensive carrier in the country, get unlimited plans on all of our lines, and after phone payments would be paying about what they are billing us, all with much better coverage.

T-Mobile is trying hard, and honestly I believe that they are really close to becoming the best wireless carrier in the country, but I don't need great coverage in five years, I can live with what they have for now, what I need is decent, not even good, just decent service, and I need it now, and they don't seem to be willing or able to provide it.

I think I am going down to the store later today, and give them another chance to not fix it. It will be the last time, my company recently became a wireless service provider, the rates aren't great, but the coverage is, and their billing is simple.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post
    ....... I have been having to either go to a store, or call in and wait on hold and then argue for an hour to get my bill fixed every single month. We should be paying about $170 per month, and after fighting with them that is about what we pay, but every month for the last six months we have been billed nearly $300, we call in, they "fix" the problem, issue credit, and a couple of weeks later we get another $300 bill. ....
    Why do you put yourself through that? Just make up a form letter citing the Fair Credit Billing address and send it to their dispute address every time you get your bill.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Why do you put yourself through that? Just make up a form letter citing the Fair Credit Billing address and send it to their dispute address every time you get your bill.
    It's even more hilarious cause tmobile had a super bowl commercial about punishing yourself with outrageous bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella94128 View Post
    I worked for TMO years ago. Back in 2000-2005, TMO was great in cities on their network, and had amazing nationwide roaming agreements that made it rock solid nationwide on highways and between cities.

I'm not sure what happened with the rollout of LTE, but something went very wrong. Whether it was overselling the network, or just not filling in the problem areas when the CA\NV and nationwide roaming partnerships were sunsetted. It's gotten so bad that now I occasionally see Edge, and even an occasional GPRS, which is insane for 2017. To not be able to use the service in major airports is a joke. TMO is doing the very thing they called the "big guys" out for doing back in the days... claiming coverage where coverage doesn't exist. Their new "end of 2017 LTE map" is a joke, an absolute joke, and someone needs to take them to court over it because it's an outright lie like their end of 2016 map was.

I have had 8 lines on ATT and 3 on TMO for 5+ years each. Both carriers have had their share of marketing\promotional issues that upset me, but I've kept both for a long time. The cost per line for ATT and TMO were about the same (about $33 a line) from 2012 to 2016. When TMO and ATT came out with their new plans in 2016\2017, my cost per line rose slightly with ATT due to unlimited. However, I kept the 3 lines with TMO as secondary lines because of the unlimited throttled international roaming.

I finally broke up with TMO the other day. I did the math, and it no longer makes sense to have the 3 lines with TMO. Having them as secondary for slow 128-256kbps international roaming makes no sense anymore as it's the only remaining benefit TMO has over ATT. However, with the cost of having the lines, I calculated I'd have to buy more than 42 day passes per year before it even broke even to keep TMO. Furthermore, ATT's daypasses are LTE and unlimited, AND include voice calling, a huge benefit over TMO.

So now I have 11 lines at ATT, all unlimited, and don't miss TMO for a moment. It baffles me when I called to cancel they asked why and I said network quality and being treated like a second class customer because I've been there for 10+ years. She said those two are the two reasons she hears all day. If TMO wants to churn customers, so be it... it works for today, but every customer who churns likely won't be back.

Hopefully someone at TMO monitors these forums for candid feedback. I like what TMO stands for, but promise has to be followed by execution, and that's really lacking right now.
    Yeah I left tmobile because of the spotty network, it says I have full lte but I would always get abysmal speeds. Good on you for leaving I know I didnt regret it a single bit.
    Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofoguy666 View Post
    It's even more hilarious cause tmobile had a super bowl commercial about punishing yourself with outrageous bills.

Yeah I left tmobile because of the spotty network, it says I have full lte but I would always get abysmal speeds. Good on you for leaving I know I didnt regret it a single bit.
    Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app
    Same here. I really like what T-Mobile is doing to the industry and want them to succeed. I have been using T-Mobile on and off for over 2 years now. I want them to be my main carrier but it just never seems to work out for me. I have definitely noticed big improvements in coverage during the last 2 years. Band 12 helps with coverage, but it is horrible because it is such a narrow bandwidth that speeds and calls on band 12 most of the time are useless. I finally gave up on T-Mobile again and went back to AT&T. I really hate AT&T as a company because of their shady practices and high cost, but I have to use what works best and AT&T works best for me in my area by far. T-Mobile and Verizon are oversold and so congested that most times they are unusable. Sprint is OK, but they have very spotty LTE coverage. So now I'm back to AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    While I understand the frustration, I find these types of posts rather worthless. All the mobile network companies have issues and trade-offs, and whether a particular network works for you depends on where you use your phone. Yes, T-Mobile does like to pretend they are different -- and to a degree they have been, they are largely the reason Verizon offers an unlimited plan and they have changed the way the industry works. Overall, though, they are still a wireless carrier trying to make a profit. I'll also admit I'm frustrated with T-Mobile's more recent moves, such as going solely to Unlimited calling plans -- they seem to have become much more of a "carrier," less consumer friendly, in the last couple of years.

In my case, I'm with T-Mobile because they give me solid service, where I need my phone, for a good price. AT&T, despite supposedly being great in my city/state, has bad coverage at my home and isn't any better than T-Mobile in the places that I use my phone. Verizon may be a bit better, in the areas I use my phone/data, but I can't justify paying more for them. Of course, this is for my usage -- and that is the trick, finding out which network works the best for you, at a price you are willing to pay.

As for "end of year" coverage, you aren't going to be able to sue for that; just because they project and believe they can have that coverage by the end of the year doesn't mean they'll do it. For that matter, it doesn't seem like you can sue for current coverage maps -- or at least, with all carriers "inflating" their coverage, I've never heard of any of them being successfully sued. Having said that, it is impressive how quickly T-Mobile has expanded their network, and how close they seem to get to their coverage goals (especially if you compare them to Sprint). At the same time, the end of year map also ignores that some of the improvements allegedly will require a phone that supports 600 Mhz, and it is optimistic to include that since most people won't have a capable phone and also because the rollout could easily be delayed if there are issued finalizing the 600 Mhz LTE Band.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Right now, were I a new customer, I'm not sure I'd pick T-Mobile over the other carriers or not. At least the math would probably work out pretty close. With the advent of T-Mobile ONE as their only postpaid plan, and the other carriers offering various discounts and their superior coverage, it would be a pretty close call.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella94128 View Post
    Their new "end of 2017 LTE map" is a joke, an absolute joke, and someone needs to take them to court over it because it's an outright lie like their end of 2016 map was.
    A prediction can't be a lie... It's a prediction. What would they be taken to court over? It's not the end of the year.

They did meet their EOY 2016 coverage goal.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    A prediction can't be a lie... It's a prediction. What would they be taken to court over? It's not the end of the year.

While I agree with you, I think his complaint is based on his experience. The coverage map shows that he should have good LTE coverage, since he doesn't then he is saying the entire map is a lie.

I know that at one point T-Mobile was using Sensorly data (or at least crowdsourced) for their coverage maps, and I believe they still are. Unfortunately, this shows coverage in "best case conditions," and interference, a weaker radio in your phone, and missing bands (such as Band 12) can cause complaints -- and that is assuming all the crowdsourced data is accurately reported.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    While I agree with you, I think his complaint is based on his experience. The coverage map shows that he should have good LTE coverage, since he doesn't then he is saying the entire map is a lie.

I know that at one point T-Mobile was using Sensorly data (or at least crowdsourced) for their coverage maps, and I believe they still are. Unfortunately, this shows coverage in "best case conditions," and interference, a weaker radio in your phone, and missing bands (such as Band 12) can cause complaints -- and that is assuming all the crowdsourced data is accurately reported.
    I don't know anyone who believes coverage maps 100%. They're all inaccurate. However, T-Mobile's is among the most accurate in the industry because they actually show signal strength. Both AT&T and Verizon used to show signal strength on their maps, but removed it for whatever reason, and now paint their maps all one color. Completely useless. T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular still show the signal strength on their map, which is very useful.

Feedback Score
    A prediction can't be a lie... It's a prediction. What would they be taken to court over?

Last time I heard, False Advertising, and Deceptive Advertising both are illegal. Their EOY 2016 map is a complete farce. I laugh whenever I see it. It's one thing to exaggerate, but their 2016 map just cracks me up. Not sure why you defend them so much. Nearly all complaints about TMO are related to their network quality (or lack thereof), with billing being a close second. Why would you not want to hold them accountable for delivering coverage where they promise it? I get it, the barking snake oil salesman is entertaining, but I'm not paying TMO to put on a show for me. LOL.

Feedback Score
    I don't know anyone who believes coverage maps 100%. They're all inaccurate. However, T-Mobile's is among the most accurate in the industry because they actually show signal strength. Both AT&T and Verizon used to show signal strength on their maps, but removed it for whatever reason, and now paint their maps all one color. Completely useless. T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular still show the signal strength on their map, which is very useful.
    Don't know, I live in San Francisco, and travel all over the country. Anytime I see GPRS\EDGE\NO SERVICE\NO BARS or have five bars and no actual data\voice connectivity, I look at their map and they say GREAT COVERAGE. My gripe is TMO was great when they were the best value. It was a balance between what you pay and what you get relative to the other carriers. Now you pay nearly the same among the big 4 carriers, but TMO and Sprint give you MUCH less coverage\network quality for your dollar.

But hey, this thread was to share my experience. I travel the country half the month, and am all over the world, and when I have to joke with friends that my calls drop and my data sucks because I'm in Chicago and no Cambodia, there's a little sad truth to the joke. LOL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post

I'm in a "Deep Magenta" area of native T-Mobile coverage on the map. However, I rarely see T-Mobile coverage, spend most of my time roaming on AT&T, and have never seen T-Mobile speeds get as fast as those of Cricket.

(Since I seem to be able to do most things on T-Mobile's usual 2 or 3 mbps speed, I'm not really complaining. I've just lowered expectations)

That's my anecdote, not an accusation of anyone being a fanboy or liar or having bad maps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I'm not really complaining. I've just lowered expectations
    HEHE, this was the motto I lived by for 10 years as a TMO customer, ;-)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    We wish you well Bella. Good luck out there. Come back when T-Mobile gets better in your area.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast