Thread: streaming 720p only?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

streaming 720p only?

i went to watch a short (30 sec) 4K video and in the settings i notice that it was only set at 720p and nothing higher than that(this was all done with the youtube app), so i went to watch another video with 1080p but still streaming at 720p in the settings...soooo i went on my pc and watch the same videos and i was able to watch them at 4K and 1080p....

im on the $60 plan with 8GB hotspot (but only paying $50,promo) why does it only stream at 720p when its suppose to be 1080p?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The YouTube app doesn't even let me choose video quality settings when I'm on cellular data. So it's probably a YouTube app limitation.

If you want to see if your videos are being throttled, just do a speed test using Fast.com. That uses Netflix servers - if BingeOn/DataMaximizer is on, it'll be throttled to 1.5 Mbps.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    The YouTube app doesn't even let me choose video quality settings when I'm on cellular data. So it's probably a YouTube app limitation.

If you want to see if your videos are being throttled, just do a speed test using Fast.com. That uses Netflix servers - if BingeOn/DataMaximizer is on, it'll be throttled to 1.5 Mbps.
    on the u tube app when u lay a video, upper right ull see 3 dots, tap it then ull see a box at the bottom with options ull see Quality which it pre set to 360p

mine wont go pass 720p...

anyone wants to post what Quality they are getting from their youtube ?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post

forgot to add, i got 27Mbps which very close to what i get on the speedtest.net app which is 35Mbps....so im not sure if metro pcs is limiting or its the youtube app???

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    forgot to add, i got 27Mbps which very close to what i get on the speedtest.net app which is 35Mbps....so im not sure if metro pcs is limiting or its the youtube app???
    They're not limiting then. 1080p only needs like 5 or 6 Mbps... 720p around 3 or 4 Mbps, and 480p around 1.5 Mbps and 360p about 600 to 700 Kbps.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Mine allows:

114p
    240p
    360p
    480p
    720p
    1080p
    1440p
    auto
    I am expressing my personal opinions and not speaking on behalf of MetroPCS. Thus they should be taken only as my individual views and not endorsed by MetroPCS in any way.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    wonder why mine stops at 720p?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    wonder why mine stops at 720p?
    on youtube app i jsut searched 4k video and something about nature came up and i played that one... try and see if maybe it's the video?

DM me your account info and let me take a look and see whats going on. I need phone, name, and pin

Feedback Score
    i went to watch a short (30 sec) 4K video and in the settings i notice that it was only set at 720p and nothing higher than that(this was all done with the youtube app), so i went to watch another video with 1080p but still streaming at 720p in the settings...soooo i went on my pc and watch the same videos and i was able to watch them at 4K and 1080p....

im on the $60 plan with 8GB hotspot (but only paying $50,promo) why does it only stream at 720p when its suppose to be 1080p?
    You have to turn off the data maximizer (it's enabled by default.)

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownMan View Post
    on youtube app i jsut searched 4k video and something about nature came up and i played that one... try and see if maybe it's the video?

DM me your account info and let me take a look and see whats going on. I need phone, name, and pin

ive tried alot of videos and they all have 720p ...sorry but im not going give u my personal info

Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    You have to turn off the data maximizer (it's enabled by default.)

yes its off, i turn it off as soon as i switch my plan

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ive tried alot of videos and they all have 720p ...sorry but im not going give u my personal info

yes its off, i turn it off as soon as i switch my plan
    no worries just trying to help...

Try filling a trouble ticket with cs and have them look deeply into the data maximizer and network settings. my guess something is stuck and needs a little push to get fixed.

good luck

Feedback Score
    What phone are you using? The video options are not specific to the network you use (for example, does 1080p become an option on wifi? I doubt it does). Have you done 1080p on this phone before?

I have a phone that tops out at 720p because that is the resolution of the phone. The highest I can pick no matter what is 720p60 (720p at 60 FPS). However, I also have my old Galaxy S7 that is locked to another carrier (so I use it on wifi) and it can top out at 1440p. Until a recent update. Samsung rolled out a performance optimizer and limited performance to 1080p automatically. So when this is turned on, no 1440p for me.