Thread: tablet warranty replacement problem

Feedback Score

tablet warranty replacement problem

my mom has an Alcatel onetouch pop 7 prepaid 4g tablet on the free lte plan.

several months ago before the end of the warranty i noticed the back camera did not work correctly. they said to send the tablet back and they will send a new replacement.

they never sent the replacement so i have been calling them back all this time.

now tech support says they have no replacement so they suggested sending the bad tablet back to me and i should get it repaired at a repair shop and they will give me a credit. but this is on the free plan so a credit is worthless. i asked them to escalate it 3 to 5 days and see if they have a better solution.

the last tech person said they might send another similar tablet as good or better which would be ok with me.

on the T-Mobile website i see no prepaid tablets but see some postpaid tablets like lg g pad retail $250.

telling me to fix the tablet when it is on warranty i think is bad. it is no longer on warranty so doubt Alcatel would fix it.

anyone else have a similar situation?

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    If you have emails to show that it broke during the warranty period, you might try to get Alcatel to fix or replace it if T-Mobile doesn't.

Sent from my MotoG3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    the only email is one order confirmation that was supposed to send a replacement.

however, i really don't want to get the bad tablet back and try to see if Alcatel will fix it.

i also asked them to repair it and then send it back to me but they said they can't do that. why do they expect i can fix it but they can't.

if they don't offer a similar replacement i am going to ask for a full refund. the tablet cost $130 new.

also the warranty manual says to call them and gives T-Mobiles phone number for warranty help.

i see no prepaid tablets on their website now. i wonder if they no longer sell prepaid tablets or if just out of stock.

i don't know if postpaid tablets will work on the prepaid free plan.

Feedback Score
    i talked to tech support again.

i was going to ask for a refund but this time i was told they can replace the tablet.

i told them last time i was told they can't replace the tablet. he said that is not possible.

i said i don't think they make it anymore. he said they can replace with a similar model.

i said there are no prepaid tablets on the website. he said they can use postpaid.

so I said sure i would like it replaced.

so they transfer me to another person for handset exchange and handset research. he said they need to call back in a few days.

so hope i can get it replaced this time. if not i will ask if i can get a refund.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Make sure the replacement tablet is signed up for the 200 MB free plan when they call back.

Sent from my LGLS676 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    i did not get a call back from t-mobile tech support on Saturday so I called back today.

Now they told me something different that they never said before.

1, They can't find the tablet.
    I gave them the UPS tracking number almost every time i call so if they can't find the tablet either UPS lost it or they did.

2. Their system shows the tablets phone number is in use.
    I told them I have the SIM card and I don't have the tablet so I can not use the number.

They say they will escalate the issue and call back within 72 hours or at the most 7 to 10 business days.

Seems like every time I call them they always want to call me back after doing research.

I have no idea what else I could do to get the tablet replaced but so far I am still waiting for them to replace it.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile quietly retires its 'Free Data for Life' iPad promotion

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/08/...pad-promotion/

I just saw this article. I assume this will apply to android tablets as well as ipad tablets.

So if I ever get a replacement tablet I will have to ask if the new tablet will work with my sim card and still get the free data for life plan.

I assume the sim card that has been sitting for over 3 months outside of the tablet should still be good and active. I hope they don't go bad if not used.

Also they might say because it is not the same tablet it does not qualify for the free data plan.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    T-Mobile quietly retires its 'Free Data for Life' iPad promotion

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/08/...pad-promotion/

I just saw this article. I assume this will apply to android tablets as well as ipad tablets.

So if I ever get a replacement tablet I will have to ask if the new tablet will work with my sim card and still get the free data for life plan.

I assume the sim card that has been sitting for over 3 months outside of the tablet should still be good and active. I hope they don't go bad if not used.

Also they might say because it is not the same tablet it does not qualify for the free data plan.
    You should politely but firmly insist that the original tablet was enrolled in the Free Data For Life plan, and therefore any replacement or repaired tablet should continue to be enrolled in the plan. Anyone who already has the plan can keep it for the life of their device.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    I think you're probably SOL. I got an iPad replaced under warranty that was set up for FDFL and it seems that for that bit of data, it's tied to the IMEI of the device that it was first registered with. If you buy more data, you can use that in any device, but knowing how it stacks data, you have to use the 200MB first. Between T-Mobile being clueless about the promotion, plan, and my account (somehow Mobile Internet/ConnectMe is an unknown product to their support), I gave up. Their support's answer was that something was probably wrong with my SIM and that I'd have to buy a new one.

It's not really losing the 200MB that irks me, it's more that I have a working T-Mobile SIM that I'll get 200MB on every month (and the associated emails) and I'd have to spend another $10-$20 to get a new SIM and set up an entirely different account.

I'm not sure what I'll do next, but I might use this as an opportunity to check out other prepaid data offerings to use on trips (since it's not something that I'm using day in and day out).

Feedback Score
    I have to call back again next week because I did not hear back from them.

I have the SIM card that is just sitting there and thought that would work in any new tablet. I thought you can always remove a SIM from one tablet to another. I thought that was what the SIM was for so you can easily change the device.

However, if they tie the SIM to the ID of the tablet then it might not work in a new tablet. In that case, I can only ask them if they can give me the free plan I had before. It won't surprise me if they can't do it because they have not been any help so far.

Every time I call them I have to explain the whole story from the start. They usually say they need to do research and call me back. They never call back. When I call them back it starts over again.

Last time they said they can't find my tablet. I don't see how that is my fault.

You would think a large company like t-mobile would honor their warranty.

As it stands now they might just keep the tablet forever and do nothing.

I am going to ask for a refund if they can't fix or replace it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I have to call back again next week because I did not hear back from them.

I have the SIM card that is just sitting there and thought that would work in any new tablet. I thought you can always remove a SIM from one tablet to another. I thought that was what the SIM was for so you can easily change the device.

However, if they tie the SIM to the ID of the tablet then it might not work in a new tablet. In that case, I can only ask them if they can give me the free plan I had before. It won't surprise me if they can't do it because they have not been any help so far.
    Yeah, I'm not holding my breath, but I think it's the rare exception that something is tied to an IMEI on T-Mobile. If I tried the SIM in any other device, even a brand-new out-of-the-box iPad, I could only get to the account management and a few other T-Mobile sites. After someone mentioned the IMEI connection, that made some sense. Unfortunately, as T-Mobile doesn't even know about plan, it's tough to get the technical details.

Feedback Score
    They originally told me they would replace the tablet. They also said to keep my SIM and everything else like the charger and just send back the tablet. So all I sent them was the tablet in the original box.

Because they told me to keep my SIM I assume that means they thought the SIM would work in the replaced tablet. I assumed I would just plug it in and be up and running.

Because this plan was suppose to be free data for "life of the tablet" it would make sense to lock it to the ID (IMEI) of the tablet.

It might be the person told me incorrectly to keep the SIM where it requires a new SIM. It could be phones you only need the old SIM because they only tie the SIM to tablets on the free data plan.

So I will need to specifically mention that this is on the free data for life plan; however, I did mention that several times before.

You might call back and try again and get a another person that can help solve your issue.

Feedback Score
    i called back again today and think i finally will get a replacement.

they told me the problem was they did not send the replacement because they made a mistake thinking they did not get the tablet.

now they say they need 72 hours and should ship the replacement Monday.

now they say they have the same tablet model in stock. before i was told they can't get the same tablet.

they said because it is an exchange the tablet will come with a new sim card programmed just like my old one. so just turn it on and it will work. no need to use my old sim and the new sim should be exactly the same with the free data forever plan.

they also said they will send the replacement without me calling back again.

they also verified my shipping address.

Feedback Score
    I got the replacement tablet.

It looks to be a new box with all the attachments. They told me to keep my old attachments so now I have an extra charger and cable.

The sim card looks new so I doubt it is pre-programmed like they said. The SIM is still in the credit card plastic cover like new until you break it out. I guess they might have programmed the SIM but if they did I would have thought it would be installed in the tablet ready to use.

I think I will try my old SIM first and see if that works. If I try the new SIM i am guessing it will need a new activation.

I suspect I might have trouble getting my account to work on the free data for life plan since they don't offer it anymore.

I am charging the tablet first and will test it out later.

Feedback Score
    I tested the back camera and it works good on the new tablet.

I put the old SIM card in and it seems to get 4G so I guess it still works on the new tablet. I tested a website came up on the browser so I think it might be working OK now.