Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Google Hangouts dialer app., Garbage?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    416
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I mean the field (label) that describes the #. The standard are things like Work, Home, Mobile, but in Google Contacts, you can also label a phone # with any other description.
    For example:
    555-555-5550 Cabin
    555-555-5551 Snow House
    555-555-5552 Vickie Work
    555-555-5553 Dan Cell

    In the Hangouts app if I look up Dan & Vickie, it displays all the phone #s under their contact along with the custom labels of those #s.

    In the Google Voice app, every # with a custom label is listed as Other.
    I use iPhones and use the phone’s native Contacts app. When I create a custom label for a phone number in Contacts, I can also see that custom label in the GV app.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,660
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    I use iPhones and use the phone’s native Contacts app. When I create a custom label for a phone number in Contacts, I can also see that custom label in the GV app.
    Thanks. Now hopefully some Android users will also reply.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    997
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I mean the field (label) that describes the #. The standard are things like Work, Home, Mobile, but in Google Contacts, you can also label a phone # with any other description..................In the Google Voice app, every # with a custom label is listed as Other.
    Ok, I see what you mean. I never created a custom label and at this point I only played with GV once or twice after I set it up on a old phone I'm not using after reading about it in a thread a couple months back. The latency I have with my bad wifi didn't work for me. But it's a good backup when all else fails.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    D/FW, TX
    Posts
    888
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile, UnrealMobile, AT&T, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thanks. Now hopefully some Android users will also reply.
    I never really noticed that my custom labels are not working for Google Voice until you mentioned it. But on my Android device, it does not work. Nor, does it default to the app to call. I will check and see how calls react on silent.

    My biggest issue is that on a phone that you setup for outbound GV cellular dialing, is that outgoing VoIP calls will not stop working. It will only go though cellular after a call or two. It will work for another couple of calls after rebooting. When I have no signal and need WiFi, I have to change the device number to "No Number".

    No doubt the Hangouts Dialer app was much better.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,660
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    I never really noticed that my custom labels are not working for Google Voice until you mentioned it. But on my Android device, it does not work. Nor, does it default to the app to call. I will check and see how calls react on silent.

    My biggest issue is that on a phone that you setup for outbound GV cellular dialing, is that outgoing VoIP calls will not stop working. It will only go though cellular after a call or two. It will work for another couple of calls after rebooting. When I have no signal and need WiFi, I have to change the device number to "No Number".

    No doubt the Hangouts Dialer app was much better.
    Thanks so much for verifying what I'm seeing with the phone # custom labels in the GV app. Another member said it WAS working correctly on their device in the HoFo Google Voice forum, so I was wondering how all of my devices were working differently.

    Again, thanks for the verification about both that and the missing option to use GV to place calls from links!

    I've used the "Send Feedback" option in Google Voice to report these issues MANY times over the past 2 years, but it seems as if nobody at Google is reading them, because none of these issues have been fixed.

    I don't understand how the things on my list are not working correctly in the Google Voice app, when they work perfectly well in the Hangouts app!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    3,215
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Boz, this contact issue is indeed annoying. Perhaps the work around is to open the contacts app first to figure out which number you want to dial, then dial. Yes its more steps, but free is free

    Problem with all of this is too many numbers/person. I'm glad I use a gv # as primary so people only have one number to reach me at. It forwards to the cell, another cell (a flip I take with occasionally), the computer softphone, and an android softphone. Most times everything is off/airplane mode except the computer. Last thing I need is 3 or 4 devices ringing all at the same time.

    Call waiting is disabled on the cell phone to further reduce annoyances. The android softphone is mostly used for outgoing calls on other numbers, but is set up to receive calls too. It's not an ideal system but works.

    Lately with all this stay at home stuff we're seeing a similar mismatch with all the video chat apps. Different people use different apps (duo, facetime, hangouts, zoom, and others). Real pita. Why is it so important to see the person you're casually speaking with??

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,660
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the suggested workaround. I just wish Google would fix the GV app so that it works with at least the same functionality as Hangouts!

    Regarding video chat, my wife and I have pretty much gotten everyone to use FB Messenger, since everyone we want to chat with uses Facebook.

    Our daughter that lives in Canada also has Facebook, but before we figured out how well FB Messenger actually works for calls and video chats, we had been using Viber, and we couldn't get her to make the switch, so she continued to use Viber for messages, calls, and chats with us!

    However, now that SHE isn't working, she is blowing through all of her data being board at her apartment, which has no WiFi, so she's using her UT&T messaging and calling us on our TextNow Canadian phone #s. That's been working well, so maybe after this is all over she'll stick with that and use FB Messenger to video chat like EVERYONE else we video chat with, so we can finally ditch Viber, lol!

    My 85 year old parents have really come a long way. Our sons video chat with them using Facetime, since my parents each have an iPhone SE, and WE video chat with them using FB Messenger. So they are multi-video-chat-lingual. Or something like that!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    3,215
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ugh... Hell will have to freeze over before I install fb (or whatsapp) on my phone! It would surprise me if in the next decade there's a new standard that works across all carriers. Similar to how traditional calls and sms works now.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,660
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah, I figured, lol!

    I used Messenger Lite on my phones for a long time, but just for calls and messages, and I really like how small the app is and how well it works for that. I usually use my computer for any video chats, but recently had occasion to use my phone for a video chat with Messenger Lite, and for some reason, the video of me on the other end would become squiggly lines after a few seconds. I had never had trouble with Viber, and after I discovered that problem with Messenger Lite on my phone, I installed the regular Messenger app, and it works fine, too. Somehow the Lite app and my phone must not get along for video chat.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,788
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    ...Lately with all this stay at home stuff we're seeing a similar mismatch with all the video chat apps. Different people use different apps (duo, facetime, hangouts, zoom, and others). Real pita. Why is it so important to see the person you're casually speaking with??
    Haha, yeah, I am at the hermit end of the spectrum and have no desire to video call. SWMBO, has started having a Zoom Happy Hour video conference with her fellow sidelined cow-orkers. They seem to enjoy it. I had a Jitsi video conference with a club committee of about ten yesterday. I did not feel that the video added much to the content, but somehow it was more satisfying than just an audio conference call.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,660
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Haha, yeah, I am at the hermit end of the spectrum and have no desire to video call. SWMBO, has started having a Zoom Happy Hour video conference with her fellow sidelined cow-orkers. They seem to enjoy it. I had a Jitsi video conference with a club committee of about ten yesterday. I did not feel that the video added much to the content, but somehow it was more satisfying than just an audio conference call.
    Are you saying SWMBO works with cows?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. Google Hangouts dialer with the Ultimate 2.
    By LGester in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-01-2015, 10:12 PM
  2. Google Voice/Hangouts dialer/VOIP
    By rootbeerfloat in forum Cricket
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2014, 08:23 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 08:32 PM
  4. Google Voice Dialer app for S60v5 (Nokia 5230)
    By whacker in forum Symbian/S60
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2011, 08:57 PM
  5. Alternate Google Voice Dialer Apps for Android
    By memyselfi in forum Google Voice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 02:49 AM

Bookmarks