Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VOLTE/VZW Roaming

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score

VOLTE/VZW Roaming

Hi, When is Volte coming to USCC?
    Wondering if anyone knows USCC roaming on verizon is it 1x 3G or volte for data?

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's a mix of 1x and 3G depending on the area. I live in New England and here the only roaming you get is 1x, which is pretty much unusable for data. I heard that areas out west and West Virginia have 3G roaming. I've never heard of LTE roaming though.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    It's a mix of 1x and 3G depending on the area. I live in New England and here the only roaming you get is 1x, which is pretty much unusable for data. I heard that areas out west and West Virginia have 3G roaming. I've never heard of LTE roaming though.
    I'm honestly surprised US.Cellular stays afloat. They booked up and left my small town lol. We still have coverage but we have had several resellers over the years and last year our last store left including wal-mart which stopped selling the service as well.

Im shocked they don't have 3G roaming everywhere. Back in 2008 before U.S.Cellular even HAD 3G I loaded a Sprint PRL to my Moto Rokr at the time lol and had 3G roaming most of the time on my trip out west.
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Not all Verizon phones have band-12, which USCC would be using for LTE in many areas.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Motorola X Pure Edition (US, 64GB), iPad Pro 10.5 256GB Cellular
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I've roamed 3G on Verizon as a USCC customer in Maine, in the few places where Verizon has slightly better coverage. Unfortunately, though I have a technically compatible device (Moto X PE), I don't have 4G roaming at all in places like Boston. I'm annoyed by this a bit, but not enough to go back to a crapware infested branded device. My understanding is that Sprint is prioritized for 3G roaming first before Verizon, but T-mobile for 4G over Sprint. USCC doesn't have a LTE roaming agreement with Verizon as far as I know. Strangely, Verizon seems to roam 1X on USCC by the way, I believe Sprint customers are 1X roam too on USCC.

I'm a bit more curious if VoLTE coming to US Cellular (which they just added a page to their blog the other day) means that WiFi Calling will be coming soon as well. VoLTE is usually a requirement before that, and there's certainly some buildings/areas that this would be quite handy, such as along ME-148 in Madison Maine, on Lake Wesserunsett, and in Fletchers Landing ME (slightly outside Ellsworth).

http://connected.uscellular.com/live...y-communicate/

While USCC is strongest in coverage in Maine, roaming elsewhere in the country has a lot to be desired.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Based on USCC filings for their Q1 2017 earnings. Iowa will be the only VoLTE in 2017

VoLTE deployment • Iowa commercial launch imminent
    • WI, WA, OR and CA are next VoLTE markets for 2018

http://s1.q4cdn.com/183458318/files/...ng-results.pdf

USCC being this slow rolling out VoLTE is just why they will be out of business when the big 4 decides to build out in USCC's little circles of where they have customers. USCC previously announced the reason why they were building out VoLTE, was to increase revenue from other networks via roaming on USCC. T-Mobile even owns Iowa Wireless Services LLC, so that new Iowa roaming on USCC is not a big help. Looks like they are going to miss the market window again. USCC may as well sell off their business since they are going to wake up one day and most of their 5 million customers will be gone over the next 3 or 5 years to other networks build out in USCC customers areas with state of the art cell technology.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 05-06-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Based on USCC filings for their Q1 2017 earnings. Iowa will be the only VoLTE in 2017

VoLTE deployment • Iowa commercial launch imminent
    • WI, WA, OR and CA are next VoLTE markets for 2018

http://s1.q4cdn.com/183458318/files/...ng-results.pdf

USCC being this slow rolling out VoLTE is just why they will be out of business when the big 4 decides to build out in USCC's little circles of where they have customers. USCC previously announced the reason why they were building out VoLTE, was to increase revenue from other networks via roaming on USCC. T-Mobile even owns Iowa Wireless Services LLC, so that new Iowa roaming on USCC is not a big help. Looks like they are going to miss the market window again. USCC may as well sell off their business since they are going to wake up one day and most of their 5 million customers will be gone over the next 3 or 5 years to other networks build out in USCC customers areas with state of the art cell technology.

Well if that's the case then this T-Mobile end of 2017 LTE coverage "projection" is not correct.

T-Mobile is counting on USCC for that blanket coverage in the southern half of Wisconsin.

USCC appears to be just sitting on their spectrum, spending the bare minimum to keep their network up and running.

Hopefully they will sell sooner than later...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It'd make a deal of sense for T-mobile to just acquire US Cellular, but I'm not sure what they'd do with Iowa. It'd put them directly competing with their partner if they kept it.

One of the biggest issues we have is coverage in a few specific buildings or places. Another carrier really isn't the answer because Verizon is the only 'other' option for most of the state and their coverage is missing in places USCC does cover. However, Verizon does have an IP based repeater, and WiFi Calling on most recent phones. I have a Band12 compatible phone (Moto X Pure Edition) and I can't roam 4G either, which is an irritation of mine in the rest of the country.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hman414 View Post
    Well if that's the case then this T-Mobile end of 2017 LTE coverage "projection" is not correct.

T-Mobile is counting on USCC for that blanket coverage in the southern half of Wisconsin.

USCC appears to be just sitting on their spectrum, spending the bare minimum to keep their network up and running.

Hopefully they will sell sooner than later...
    Agree on T-Mobile with Wisconsin. US Cellular announced it would be building out their VoLTE back in January of 2016. http://www.telecompetitor.com/u-s-ce...ming-revenues/

At this point the 600 Mhz deployment could become a better cheaper solution for T-Mobile than even trying to think about acquiring USCC. The amount of time and expense of merging USCC customers and tower technology into T-Mobile would put them at about the same time line as the deployment of their new 600 Mhz. I am sure AT&T or Verizon would be interested in USCC.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    T-mobile building out a 600mhz network deep into rural areas I just don't see as likely. I figure they're going to use it to improve building penetration in their markets more than extending their footprint.

Not to say it could never happen, but their coverage footprint in say, ME NH VT, has a lot to be desired. It's not that they technically can't do it (there's certainly a lot of rental tower sites here now), it's that they wouldn't probably gain many customers for doing so. They'd be basically doing it for travelers or roamers. As it is, USCC already runs a GSM roaming network in my region from when Unicel went away, but it is only EDGE.

That's kind of the difference in acquiring vs building. If they acquired USCC, they'd gain 5-6M customers, many of which only have one carrier available. Those customers aren't probably going anywhere.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by droobie View Post
    It'd make a deal of sense for T-mobile to just acquire US Cellular, but I'm not sure what they'd do with Iowa. It'd put them directly competing with their partner if they kept it
    At this point T-Mobile acquiring US Cellular (USM) would be a waste of money & time at this point. It would be simpler and much cheaper for building out TM's 600 Mhz using the existing AWS & PCS spectrum. Most of Maine has no 600 Mhz TV station interference that can be deployed as soon as T-Mobile can get that 600 Mhz equipment. TM owns the 700Mhz in most of NH. Granted Vermont is a big challenge since most of the 600 Mhz TV station there are in Phase 7.

Quote Originally Posted by droobie View Post
    T-mobile building out a 600mhz network deep into rural areas I just don't see as likely. I figure they're going to use it to improve building penetration in their markets more than extending their footprint.

Not to say it could never happen, but their coverage footprint in say, ME NH VT, has a lot to be desired. It's not that they technically can't do it (there's certainly a lot of rental tower sites here now), it's that they wouldn't probably gain many customers for doing so. They'd be basically doing it for travelers or roamers. As it is, USCC already runs a GSM roaming network in my region from when Unicel went away, but it is only EDGE.

That's kind of the difference in acquiring vs building. If they acquired USCC, they'd gain 5-6M customers, many of which only have one carrier available. Those customers aren't probably going anywhere.
    It took T-Mobile about 2 years to merge MetroPCS CDMA network into T-Mobiles network. T-Mobile has more than enough spectrum all over the nation when all the 600 Mhz is available to be deployed so buying USM/TDS & King Street Wireless to get all the US Cellular assets and spectrum is just a waste of money and time now. TM can build out most of ME very quickly with 600Mhz. Most of NH can be improved by more Band 12 and AWS/PCS that TM already owns till the 600 Mhz TV stations can move.

Not sure about rural areas like Alaska where there are few people or backhaul but I fully expect T-Mobile to build out 600 Mhz across the other 49 states and PR. This 600 Mhz is perfect for building out rural areas at the lowest cost per tower. Backhaul will be a major limiting issue and TV stations vacating their old 600 Mhz spectrum on when and where TM deploys their new spectrum in the next 4-5 years.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    for those who don't know i will tell you USCC is awful in WV where its licensed. their LTE never works and super slow 3G. Now with Sprint (prepaid sprint) i get 1XRTT voice and text roaming (off USCC in areas) only through them no data and at my apt it's 30 mbps download and 10 mbps up with a full signal. at least Sprint has improved coverage here but would love to see T-Mobile make faster expansions.

Sent from my LG-V930 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does USCC ever roam on either Sprint or Verizon network? Also, does USCC ever roam on any of the CCA small Rural networks in the nation?

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Does USCC ever roam on either Sprint or Verizon network? Also, does USCC ever roam on any of the CCA small Rural networks in the nation?
    Yes, USCC roams on Verizon for 3G.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Yes, USCC roams on Verizon for 3G.
    Verizon said it will shut down their 3G Network by 2019. http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...on-3G-Shutdown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast