Thread: Connecting Wireless Devices To Router

Feedback Score

Connecting Wireless Devices To Router

Hope this is the right forum for this posts since it's my first post. I have both a Verizon Jetpack and an AT&T Mobley for use in our RV while we're traveling. I would like to be able to connect either of these devices to my TP Link Archer C7 router and use the router to connect laptops, phones, etc. I can't seem to get either set up to the router. I have enabled the WDS, fount the device network, added the password and disabled DHCP. THis still isn't working so I must be missing a step. Plus, once I disable the DHCP I can no longer log into the router. Any help would be appreciated. Chuck

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    >Hope this is the right forum for this posts since it's my first post.

Welcome to Howardforums.

>I have both a Verizon Jetpack and an AT&T Mobley for use in
    >our RV while we're traveling.

Okeh. You have two "wireless hotspots." They have radios for the
    cell carrier on the WAN side and a 2.4 GHz radio for the LAN side.
    These hotspots include a router and provide DHCP for the LAN side.

>I would like to be able to connect either of these devices to my
    >TP Link Archer C7 router and use the router to connect laptops, phones, etc.

If you have wireless devices this additional router is not needed.

If you're using hard-wired devices, it's straight forward. Connect
    your devices on the WAN side of the TP Link box ; disable DHCP in
    the TP Link box ; change the wireless access point mode to bridge
    or repeater (dunno if the TP Link box can do this.)

>I can't seem to get either set up to the router. I have enabled
    >the WDS, found the device network, added the password and disabled
    >DHCP. THis still isn't working so I must be missing a step.

WDS? Do you mean the WAN connector? Are you plugging something into
    the WAN side of the router? If you found the network, what isn't working?

>Plus, once I disable the DHCP I can no longer log into the router.

Yes, After you turn off the TP Link box DHCP, you need to use the
    IP addresses from the wireless hotspot DHCP.

Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    FJ, Thanks for the reply. I want to connect at least one, not both at the same time, hotspot to the router to give me better range. Neither of the hotspots can be connected via hardwire. That's my problem. WDS is "Wireless Distribution System", which is suppose to let me connect devices to the router. For instances, mt printer is connected wirelessly through the router. The printer made the connection through it's own software. If I disable the DHCP in the router and try connecting through the hotspot, all I connect to is the hotspot. That's my problem. The C7 router and hotspot are not connecting. Chuck

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    Oops. I see I have fat-fingered this...

>If you're using hard-wired devices, it's straight forward. Connect
    >your devices on the WAN side of the TP Link box ; disable DHCP in
    >the TP Link box ; change the wireless access point mode to bridge
    >or repeater (dunno if the TP Link box can do this.)

...which sould be .. connect your wied devices on the LAN side
    of the TP Link box....and further .... change the wireless access point
    (in the TP box) to client, bridge or repeater mode ... if the TP
    box can do this.

>I want to connect at least one, not both at the same time, hotspot
    >to the router to give me better range.

Ohh? The hotspot has a range of a mile or two on the WAN side ; the
    hotspot has a range of 30 - 100 feet on the LAN side. FWIW my
    hotspot runs at higher power and has greater LAN range when connected
    on the charge port.

Maybe range is not what you're looking for.

>Neither of the hotspots can be connected via hardwire.

My hotspot *does* connect on the USB port. YMMV.
    What are you trying to hardwire?

>WDS is "Wireless Distribution System", which is supposed to
    >let me connect devices to the router.

This "Wireless Distribution System" may not cover the configuration
    you're looking for .. if it does, read the book and do what it says.

>For instances, my printer is connected wirelessly through the router.
    >The printer made the connection through it's own software.
    >If I disable the DHCP in the router and try connecting through
    >the hotspot, all I connect to is the hotspot. That's my problem.

Excellant - that's what you want. Make sure all your wireless stuff
    connects to the hotspot.

>The C7 router and hotspot are not connecting.

For the wired stuff, change the wireless access point in
    the TP box to client mode and you're "golden."

Regards FJ

Feedback Score
    FJ, Again, the hotspots don't have the capability to be hardwired. It MUST connect to the router wirelessly. I'm not trying to hardwire anything to the router. My printer is not connected to the hotspot, it's connected wirelessly to the router. There is nothing connected to the hotspots except the internet. So there is nothing that will be hardwired to the C7 router. I just need to know how to configure the C7 router to either of the hotspots so I can connect computers, phones, etc to the router for internet connectivity rather than the hotspot itself. Thanks. Chuck

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    >the hotspots don't have the capability to be hardwired. It MUST connect to the router wirelessly.

You have more than one router

> I'm not trying to hardwire anything to the router.

Then turn it off.

> My printer is not connected to the hotspot, it's connected wirelessly to the router.

My advice is to use the routers in the hopspots. The Verizon thing supports 10 users ; the AT&T thing supports 5.

>There is nothing connected to the hotspots except the internet.

Good. Configure your devices to use the hotspot routers.

>So there is nothing that will be hardwired to the C7 router. I just need to know how to configure
    >the C7 router to either of the hotspots so I can connect computers, phones, etc to the
    >router for internet connectivity rather than the hotspot itself.

If there is nothing connected to it - turn it off. If you absolutely positively *must* us the C7 box - even
    though nothing is connected to it, follow the instructions on pages 38 and 39 of the C7 manual. (Maybe
    you'll get a 5 GHz device, someday.)
    Regards, FJ

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    I should also point out that the Verizon and AT&T hotspots default to 192.168.1.x (the C7 is 192.168.0.x) and you have to avoid that conflict.

Feedback Score
    Sorry FJ but you're just not understanding me or I'm not understand you. As far as I know, neither my Verizon Jetpack or the AT&T Mobley can be used as a router for my printer or anything else. Don't have any idea what you mean by "use the router in the hotspots. They don't have routers. I can not connect my printer through either of these devices. Their sole purpose of the Jetpack and Mobley is to connect to the internet. I don't want to shut down my TP Link. To print anything while I'm online, which I need to do often since I run a small online business, I need to be able to be online AND connected to the TP Link at the same time. Which is why I need to have either the Jetpack or the Mobley to connect to the TP Link router so I can connect my computer to the TP Link and both get on line via the Jetpack or Mobley through the router AND access my wireless printer. Again, the printer will not connect wirelessly to either the Jetpack or the AT&T Mobley. Hence my original post. Hope this clarifies. Chuck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
    Sorry FJ but you're just not understanding me or I'm not understand you. As far as I know, neither my Verizon Jetpack or the AT&T Mobley can be used as a router for my printer or anything else. Don't have any idea what you mean by "use the router in the hotspots. They don't have routers. I can not connect my printer through either of these devices. Their sole purpose of the Jetpack and Mobley is to connect to the internet. I don't want to shut down my TP Link. To print anything while I'm online, which I need to do often since I run a small online business, I need to be able to be online AND connected to the TP Link at the same time. Which is why I need to have either the Jetpack or the Mobley to connect to the TP Link router so I can connect my computer to the TP Link and both get on line via the Jetpack or Mobley through the router AND access my wireless printer. Again, the printer will not connect wirelessly to either the Jetpack or the AT&T Mobley. Hence my original post. Hope this clarifies. Chuck
    The Jetpack and Mobley are Mifi devices. The WAN side connects to the Internet over mobile data. The LAN side is Wifi and includes a Wifi router just like the TP Link. The Mobley allows 5 Wifi devices to connect. The Jetpack allows 15 Wifi devices to connect (may depend on the exact model).

Your printer and other Wifi devices should be able to connect directly to the Mobley and Jetpack. It might get a bit confusing switching the printer between them, but it is dead simple for phones. It's just another Wifi access point.

If you want to connect the TP Link to the Mifis over Wifi, you need to set it up as a repeater bridge. This is what it is called with DD-WRT on the Wifi router, and it is easy to do. TP may call it something somewhat different. The TP is only going to connect to one of the Mifis as a repeater bridge at a time. You would have to change the config to switch between them.

Feedback Score
    I have no clue how to get the printer to connect through either the Jetpack, which I only use occasionally, or the AT&T Mobley, which I use most, and then be able to use with my computer. While it might be simple with phones, not so much with mifi devices.The repeater bridge for the TP Link is the WDS settings which I have already tried and can not get to work. That's why I really need someone familiar with the TP Link C7 to walk me through the steps to make that happen. Obviously I am missing a step or setting that is preventing everything from talking to each other. Are you familiar enough with the TP Link C7 to help me with this? Chuck

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have no clue how to get the printer to connect through either the Jetpack, which I only use occasionally, or the AT&T Mobley, which I use most, and then be able to use with my computer. While it might be simple with phones, not so much with mifi devices.The repeater bridge for the TP Link is the WDS settings which I have already tried and can not get to work. That's why I really need someone familiar with the TP Link C7 to walk me through the steps to make that happen. Obviously I am missing a step or setting that is preventing everything from talking to each other. Are you familiar enough with the TP Link C7 to help me with this? Chuck
    WDS Settings are described on Page 36 of the manual - http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/d...7_V3_UG_US.pdf

You need to enter the SSID and MAC address of the MiFi device you want to use. Both wireless networks (configured on Mifi and on the C7) must be on the same subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x

Does your printer have a WiFi capability or can it be connected to a router only by a network cable? If it has WiFi, you can connect to a Mifi device the same way you connect to a regular wireless router.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Feedback Score
    Getting the printer to connect to a Mifi is the same procedure as getting it to connect to the TP, and yes it can be a pain with printers.

I don't have or know the TP Link C7, but it appears to be about the same as any other Wifi router. Getting your TP to connect to your Mifi as a repeater bridge is probably a matter of setting its IP address to be on the same network as the Mifi.

As above, "Verizon and AT&T hotspots default to 192.168.1.x (the C7 is 192.168.0.x) and you have to avoid that conflict."

192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x are not the same network and they will not communicate with each other (without additional routing).

It might be easier to go into the config of the Mifi and change its IP address to be the same as the TP.

Feedback Score
    TadMorose, you may have help me find the solution. I didn't have the manual for the TP Link but downloaded the one you linked to. I followed the instructions after enabling the WDS but missed the section on entering the client devices pin on the router. I suspect that is why it would not connect. I had a feeling I was missing a step. My printer connects wirelessly, the reason I want everything connected to the router. My HP printer will NOT connect to either device but will connect to the router.

bobdevnul, How do I get the TP IP address to be on the same network as the Mifi if say the mifi IP address is 192.168.1.1? If I change the mifi IP to the same as the router, will I not have a problem with conflict? Chuck

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to bob and Tad ....

>1. My HP printer will NOT connect to either device
    > but will connect to the C7 router.
    >2. How do I get the TP IP address to be on the same network as the Mifi
    > if say the mifi IP address is 192.168.1.1?
    >3. If I change the mifi IP to the same as the router, will I not have
    > a problem with conflict?

1a. The AT&T piece instructions say on page 5 :

You can connect up to five (5) wireless devices, such as smartphones,
    laptops, tablets, digital cameras,****printers****, gaming consoles, and digital
    picture frames, to your mobile hotspot’s Wi-Fi network(s).

1b. The Verizon piece instructions say on page 2 :

With the Jetpack Mobile Hotspot you can access 4G LTE networks for faster apps, uploads and
    downloads. Connect up to ten Wi-Fi enabled devices to the Internet at once - laptops, tablets,
    e-readers, gaming consoles and more* - and experience download speeds of up to 100 Mbps**.

I will go out on a limb and claim that more* includes printers.

An IP assigned by DHCP has a latency period - often called a "lease." My HP wireless printer has a 12-hour lease. That means once it has an IP, it will stay on that IP and not do a DHCP handshake for 12 hours. If I change IPs, the printer will *not* look for a new IP until the lease is up. This could be hours. If I put the hotspot next to the printer, the printer will not find it *because* my (home) wireless AP is still running. (You could make the printer search from its control panel.)

This is why I recommend turning off this extra router. If you must keep this extra piece running, follow the instructions on pages 37 and 38 of the C7 manual. (Page numbers refer to hard copy, not the pdf version.)

2. The C7 manual says how to do this (change default IP address) on page 34.

NOTE

The C7 manual has two CAUTIONS at this spot.

3. Yes. That's why you have to turn off one of the DHCP servers or follow the bridge instructions.

Feedback Score
    ...3. Yes. That's why you have to turn off one of the DHCP servers or follow the bridge instructions.
    You may have to turn off one of the DHCP servers if the C7 is setup in bridge mode. Might as well the second one wouldn't serve any useful purpose in bridge mode. You want the DHCP to come from the Inet gateway which would be the Mifi.

The bridge and Mifi have to be on the same subnet to work. You can change it on the C7 or the Mifi to match. No it doesn't create a conflict even if the C7 isn't bridged. They are independent Wifi access points with different SSIDs. Each can serve out private non-routable 192.168 addresses to whatever is connected to them. The SSIDs can even be the same. Ever been in a neighborhood with dozens of Linksys SSIDs?