Thread: GPS Tracking Plan

Device(s)
    Motorola i335
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Feedback Score

GPS Tracking Plan

I'm thinking of getting a GPS tracker for our new dog in case she accidentally escapes. The ones I've seen require a 2g gprs sim card. I assume that means tmobile network.

Any suggestions on a cheap data plan? I'm not sure how much data it would use but probably not much.

Could there be a text message based tracker? Then I could use tmobile $3 a month for 100 texts.

Sent from my SM-N920T using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No UMTS ones?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Speedtalkmobile.com (T-mobile MVNO) Minimum cost plan is paygo $5/month and each minute, text, or mb of data uses $.02 of cash balance. Easy refill online and auto-refill is available. Balance does not carry over on this plan.

Device(s)
    Essential, StarTAC, Lots of mobile broadband
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    do the freedompop sims still have access to t-mobile's network? Those get up to about 600MB a month for free if you collect 'freedompop friends'

Feedback Score
    Just throwing spaghetti at the wall here. But if there's a small enough waterproof ruggedized GPS enabled Android. Can't you just use a find my phone type of app with no service required?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Just throwing spaghetti at the wall here. But if there's a small enough waterproof ruggedized GPS enabled Android. Can't you just use a find my phone type of app with no service required?
    Lol. And where would the puppy carry this "waterproof ruggedized GPS enabled Android"? In her pocket? A hip holster? A special collar attachment? I'd like to know what you have in mind!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    do the freedompop sims still have access to t-mobile's network? Those get up to about 600MB a month for free if you collect 'freedompop friends'
    The global GSM SIM does roam onto both T-Mo and AT&T. I wonder how the GPS tracking device would handle a foreign SIM card?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why would the gps device care what the underlying service provider is? I'm not entirely familiar with their operation, but expect they send out gps coordinates every so often. So long as it can connect to its server, the underlying transport shouldn't make any difference. GPS devices use their own dedicated gps receivers to determine position.

I used to use an app called lattitude some years back when going on motorcycle trips. It would drop breadcrumbs every few minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlg View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a GPS tracker for our new dog in case she accidentally escapes. The ones I've seen require a 2g gprs sim card. I assume that means tmobile network.

Any suggestions on a cheap data plan? I'm not sure how much data it would use but probably not much.

Could there be a text message based tracker? Then I could use tmobile $3 a month for 100 texts.

Sent from my SM-N920T using HoFo mobile app
    If the data use is low alarmsim might work for cheap. For 2G is has to be T-Mobile based. ATT shut down 2G in January 2017. Being T-Mobile 2G, I wouldn't expect it to be real reliable and T-Mo will twilight 2G in a few years too.

The Freedompop GSM Global SIM could be worth trying. It can use T-Mo. I don't know if they are still available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlg View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a GPS tracker for new dog in case she accidentally escapes. The ones I've seen require a 2g gprs sim card. I assume that means tmobile network.

That's right, I also refuse to choose something that requires a SIM card. PetFon is one of the best options I think is currently available. It does not use a cellular network or SIM card, but implements tracking with GPS, Bluetooth, and long-range wireless, so there is no monthly fee. Findster Duo + does not require a SIM card. If anyone has experience about it, please share it!

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by helhelen View Post
    That's right, I also refuse to choose something that requires a SIM card. PetFon is one of the best options I think is currently available. It does not use a cellular network or SIM card, but implements tracking with GPS, Bluetooth, and long-range wireless, so there is no monthly fee. Findster Duo + does not require a SIM card. If anyone has experience about it, please share it!
    I think a cellular based tracker is essential. The long range wireless devices like PetFon or Findster have <1 mile range in real world (urban/suburban) conditions. The Samsung tracker we use runs on AT&T and runs $5/month.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by helhelen View Post
    Our current little guy has always stayed right with us. He's 4 years old now, so I don't think he'll ever be the kind of dog that will be running off.

But if devices like this were available when we had our prior dog, I would have definitely gotten a cellular based tracker, because he took off every chance he got, and it would have been a nice tool to help find him quicker! But even so, he made it to 15 years before old age got him, and the times he did run away, he was eventually found and returned due to his dog tag that had our phone # and my parents' phone # on it. Also, maybe we were just lucky that honest people found him.

Maybe PetFon that you described above would be useful to some extent, but if the pet mattered to me and was prone to running away, with the current technology available, I'd definitely go with a cellular based option!

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile just started offering pet tracking.

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/02/t-mo...-pets-tracker/

"SyncUP PETS™ is a T-Mobile network enabled tracker that runs on T-Mobile's Narrowband IoT (NB-IoT) network. It attaches to a pet's collar and when paired with SyncUP PETS app, you can be notified when the tracker leaves a designated area so you can take immediate action. "

https://www.t-mobile.com/tablet/t-mobile-syncup-pets