Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: ZTE Mobley USB Tethering ASUS Router and probably others!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    I tried this on the Netgear R7000 with tomato. I could see it connecting and pulling an IP address but I think I was missing a setting as it wasn't directing my packets over the device even though I had it setup as such.

I flashed the Merlin firmware that was ported to the Netgear R7000 and it worked like a charm. Popped right in. I haven't tried it with OpenWRT or DDWRT yet.
    Did you try OpenWRT? I'm trying to get a GL-MT300N travel router to work with USB. It handles WISP mode fine with speeds up to 15-20Mb, but I'd rather avoid using Wifi to bridge since it seems prone to packet loss. Thanks

edit: Working with the seller from Amazon on this... had me install the Qualcomm drivers, still no luck. Doesn't see the modem via USB.
    Last edited by energyx; 03-30-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mexican-bum View Post
    Just checked and Mobley works perfect tethered via USB to ASUS $80 T-mobile branded router. I am actually powering the mobley off one USB and tethering to the other USB. So the ASUS router is fully powering the Mobley which is nice!
    mexican-bum,

Thanks for all the posts. I am currently pulling around -105db on my Mobley and maxing out at around 6Mbps. It is twice as fast as the DSL available here and way more consistent latency (~110ms). I was wondering if your experience connecting via 5ghz AC to the router rather than 2.4ghz to the mobley made a difference in latency/bandwidth or am I just limited by my db and tower?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hypervis0r View Post
    Just recieved my Mobley, and got it working with the T-Mobile router. It was a somewhat arduous process, and through the course I found out that one of my MicroUSB cables did not want to play nice with the router. However, that has been since rectified.
    reading back to an earlier comment you made, you ordered it on the 22nd so it took 5 days? I'm wondering how soon did you get an email about creating an AT&T account, or account number? I got the order confirmation, but so far nothing about my account number. so I'm wondering do you only get that info after the device ships out?

Feedback Score
    Is there a decent sub $50 router out there that can increase the signal range of the Mobley? Right now it's about 20-25 feet. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    It's been three days having the Mobley connected to the AC-1900 and the Mobley has not gone unresponsive during that time. Using the Mobley by itself, I would have to reboot daily.

I suppose having the USB connected to the router somehow keeps things going.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rb5505 View Post
    Is there a decent sub $50 router out there that can increase the signal range of the Mobley? Right now it's about 20-25 feet. Thanks.
    I ordered this off Ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/302183470708...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    its right at the $50 dollar mark, but it should allow me to usb tether the mobley. I am going to have to install an alternate firmware to the router, not sure yet which one I will use. Hope this helps.
    Curdean

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rb5505 View Post
    I can confirm Shibby Tomato firmware is reliable... Had a Linksys E3000 connected USB overnight without issue. If you can find a model that supports Merlin, Tomato, and I think DDWRT you'll be good.

I'm also testing a Netis WF2780 I had laying around in WISP mode (it's connected using Mobley's wifi and sharing out) and it's pretty solid too.

Device(s)
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
    It's been three days having the Mobley connected to the AC-1900 and the Mobley has not gone unresponsive during that time. Using the Mobley by itself, I would have to reboot daily.

I suppose having the USB connected to the router somehow keeps things going.
    Same here....aside from an episode of being stuck on a slower 8mbps channel for about 12 hours cured with a reboot, my connection has been solid! Very pleased with this ASUS Mobley combo. Easy peasy.

Feedback Score
    This is the combination I use

Linksys WRT1200AC Router
    Rooter - OpenWRT modified to work for USB Modems
    AC Adapter for AT&T ZTE Mobley – OBD LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot Device $20 unlimited data

The power adapter is something I could have gone and done myself. But anyhow, this combination has worked very well for me

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just a heads up for those of you thinking you can make do with a Mobley only or Unite as your hotspot: YOU CAN'T.

The Mobley has a decent signal but only has 2.4ghz which really hamstrings it. But the biggest surprise is how pathetic the Unite is in terms of the power of its wifi. For comparison, tethering from my GS7 on 5ghz results in a strong signal around -45 to -35 as long as I'm in the same room. That's pretty great. But the Unite Explore, idk if I have a defective unit or it's the MIMO antenna screwing with things, but the wifi strength is horrible. I'm sitting 4 feet away from it with a signal of -60. I go into the next room and my signal drops to -70. Yeah the Unite isn't going to cover anything bigger than an average hotel room.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    Just a heads up for those of you thinking you can make do with a Mobley only or Unite as your hotspot: YOU CAN'T.

The Mobley has a decent signal but only has 2.4ghz which really hamstrings it. But the biggest surprise is how pathetic the Unite is in terms of the power of its wifi. For comparison, tethering from my GS7 on 5ghz results in a strong signal around -45 to -35 as long as I'm in the same room. That's pretty great. But the Unite Explore, idk if I have a defective unit or it's the MIMO antenna screwing with things, but the wifi strength is horrible. I'm sitting 4 feet away from it with a signal of -60. I go into the next room and my signal drops to -70. Yeah the Unite isn't going to cover anything bigger than an average hotel room.
    I think you mean "as your home wifi" not "as your hotspot"

These are hotspot devices and will not cover your entire home, hence why folks are tethering to home wifi/routers

Device(s)
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    I think you mean "as your home wifi" not "as your hotspot"

These are hotspot devices and will not cover your entire home, hence why folks are tethering to home wifi/routers
    Mine is great hooked to ASUS, but honestly my Velocity sends out a very strong signal. Even my Mobley sitting in the car has its SSID showing with 3 out of 4 bars, parked several walls and 40 feet away.

Feedback Score

wouldn't this help with increasing the wifi signal?
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...A2NEE54F1L8WNK

Feedback Score

Really? I'm doing just fine with the Mobley as my only internet, best internet service I've ever had. Don't paint everyone with the same brush. Some of us don't have wired broadband available. Some of us don't live and breathe the internet and we spend our time outdoors and/or doing other things.

Feedback Score

I have looked at the Unite Explore Manual(not recently), but I am pretty sure that I read that the default setting does not provide a strong WiFi signal, but that you can change a setting to increase the WiFi range. They advise that increasing the range will drain the battery faster and that is why the default range is for the weaker WiFi signal.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast