Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost contacts, calendar, old phone and text records after windows 10 update on 640

Feedback Score

Lost contacts, calendar, old phone and text records after windows 10 update on 640

So, I finally updated my 640 to Windows 10 tonight, but lost my calendar, contacts, and text conversations. I read the related thread on here that talks about doing a hard reset. I am afraid that I will lose my photos if I do that (which thankfully are still on there) and I don't have an SD card. Should I buy an SD card and do a hard reset? Anything else recommended? I would be happy to go back to 8.1 at this point! I didn't have my contacts or calendar synced to any of my email accounts and email he phone says it's up to date now.

Feedback Score
    Get a memory card and transfer all of the pictures to it then take it out of the phone BEFORE you hard reset it.
    You should be okay after the reset.
    I had to reset my 640 and my brother had to reset his and we were able to get all of the contacts back.
    It was very annoying and when I got another 640 I just left it at 8.1.
    Got the second one because it was cheap and I love Windows phones.

Not especially crazy about Windows 10.
    I don't hate it but 8.1 has what I want on it.

Just either back up your pictures on OneDrive or make sure that they are on the memory card and definitely remove the card before you hard reset the phone.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2

Feedback Score
    Thanks so much, SnowyWhite. I will try this. I agree that I was not unhappy with 8.1, and wish I had just stayed with it.

Feedback Score
    Best of luck with the your 640.
    I wish I had stayed with 8.1 as well.
    It always ran smoothly for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Best of luck with the your 640.
    I wish I had stayed with 8.1 as well.
    It always ran smoothly for me.

Thanks. So I guess there is no way to return it to 8.1?

Feedback Score
    There might be but I don't know how to do that.
    Might be some information over at Windows Central website.
    If it is possible that would probably be the best place to get information on how to do it.

I don't have a link though.
    I should look that up.

Seems that the problem occurs on phones that are upgraded like we did verses phones that already have Windows 10 baked in.

I don't hate Windows 10 but I really liked 8.1 better.
    I have not upgraded my old laptop to Windows 10 from 8.1 because I like my laptop the way it was.

But if I were to buy a new laptop getting one with Windows 10 baked in wouldn't kill me.

But for the time being I will stick with 8.1.

Feedback Score
    I transferred photos to an sd card and did a hard reset. It looks extremely wonky now, but my contacts are back under people and outlook calendar seems to have my appointments (I did not have them on outlook). There is no regular calendar choice, which I liked a lot better than outlook.

So, figuring stuff out, but at least I have my contacts and appointments back. Thanks for the help

Thanks
    Last edited by Robynsus; 03-17-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Feedback Score
    You might want to reset it again and it might straighten out.
    But Windows 10 does look different from 8.1.

But if you have the things that you want on it then maybe just leave it the way it is.

I am glad that you did get your contacts back.

Not everyone had the problem we had when upgrading to Windows 10 but enough people did so that it was a thing.

Just out of curiosity what carrier are you using your 640 with?
    My brother and I are using ours on T-Mobile.

Our 640s are AT&T GoPhones that we had them unlock.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I have been working with it, and it is a matter of changing things back the way I had them for the most part (not that I remember all of it).

Do you have regular calendar (not outlook) back? That is the only thing I would consider another reset for.

I use my 640 on Airvoice. $20 for unlimited talk and text, almost no data. I love it. No dropped calls, pretty much perfect. If I feel the need to have paid data I would need to look around..and also will probably be needing phones/plans for my 2 kids in the fall..but may just put them on the same Airvoice plan.

It was also a gophone that I had them unlock.

Thanks for the help!

Device(s)
    Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Updated a couple of 640's to windows 10 and had zero problems. Our contacts/calendar were synced to google though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    Thanks. I have been working with it, and it is a matter of changing things back the way I had them for the most part (not that I remember all of it).

Do you have regular calendar (not outlook) back? That is the only thing I would consider another reset for.

I use my 640 on Airvoice. $20 for unlimited talk and text, almost no data. I love it. No dropped calls, pretty much perfect. If I feel the need to have paid data I would need to look around..and also will probably be needing phones/plans for my 2 kids in the fall..but may just put them on the same Airvoice plan.

It was also a gophone that I had them unlock.

Thanks for the help!
    Ahh I never use the calendar.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 640, Motorola Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    Thanks. So I guess there is no way to return it to 8.1?
    You can return to the default operating system, in this case 8.1. Go to Settings, About then scroll down to Reset your phone. Be sure and back everything up to SD first as it will wipe the phone clean, returning it to factory software and settings.

I personally would recommend giving 10 some time. It might take a while to get a grasp of but it has more functionality and is more customizable. Mine also seems to run smoother and battery life is longer after I upgraded.

Device(s)
    Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    In my opinion, Windows 10 is much better than 8.1.

Sent from my Z958 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Yes, I do intend to give windows 10 some time, and really most of the things I liked better really don't matter much. I just need to get used to the new normal!

I have Windows 10 on my laptop and have no issues with it. Curious if anyone likes having it on their phone for any particular reason.

Feedback Score
    ETA: Never mind about the below, phone just updated itself (when through the whole windows 10 installation again without my doing anything to require that luckily nothing was lost) and I was then able to install the calculator app.

Ugh! Just when I thought things were settled, I realized the calculator app does not work! This is something I use fairly often and I don't always have wifi/internet access. Any experience or ideas on this? Maybe when I am home (where I have wifi), I should try uninstalling and install again?
    Last edited by Robynsus; 03-20-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast