Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is the Free 200MB plan the same speed as the paid 4G LTE plans?

Feedback Score
    I just got the iPhone SE with T-Mobile (the new unlimited plan), and I did some speed tests in the house - the speed is no better than with the iPad Air, so I don't think the iPhone SE is picking up any band 12.

Also, I'm at the office now, and the iPhone is stuck on 1 bar for the most part and the speed tests are showing about 0.10 Mbps download - horrible. I can't believe I may have to switch back to AT&T.

Feedback Score
    You can switch your SE into test mode and check if you are receiving band 12 or not. Dial *3001#12345#* then tap on "Serving Cell Info" to display the Freq Band Indicator. If it doesn't display, switch Airplane Mode off & back on then check again.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    Also http://maps.t-mobile.com/ allows you to see with and without B12 (at least what they claim as coverage).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by interdigital View Post
    I just got the iPhone SE with T-Mobile (the new unlimited plan), and I did some speed tests in the house - the speed is no better than with the iPad Air, so I don't think the iPhone SE is picking up any band 12.

Also, I'm at the office now, and the iPhone is stuck on 1 bar for the most part and the speed tests are showing about 0.10 Mbps download - horrible. I can't believe I may have to switch back to AT&T.
    Bummer, It looks like those T-Mo band 12 cells on the map you posted yesterday may be correct and out of range.

If I was looking for service less expensive than ATT I would consider Sprint in your location. You can try it for $5 with Tello. I don't know if they charge for the SIM or if your phone is SIM locked to T-Mo.

Sprint actually covers that area pretty well. I know it is great inside and around the beltway, but have not personally tried it North of Rockville.

Like T-Mo, if you get away from metro areas and major roads the coverage can get spotty.

Sprint may not exist as we know it for a whole lot longer, but it should be good for a year or so.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I see an artificial cap of about 43 Mbps.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    You can switch your SE into test mode and check if you are receiving band 12 or not. Dial *3001#12345#* then tap on "Serving Cell Info" to display the Freq Band Indicator. If it doesn't display, switch Airplane Mode off & back on then check again.
    It says 12. I did run a speed test from a shopping center a few blocks away, and I was getting anywhere from 30-58 Mbps. But then in my office's parking lot, I was getting less than 1 Mbps.

Feedback Score
    It says 12. I did run a speed test from a shopping center a few blocks away, and I was getting anywhere from 30-58 Mbps. But then in my office's parking lot, I was getting less than 1 Mbps.
    If it says 12, then you are on band 12 but the tower is most likely too far away if you only have one bar of service.

I agree that your prospects are limited - especially with one bar and 1mb in the parking lot outside.

Only solutions that I can see would be:

* Tweet Neville Ray (T-Mobile CTO) and ask if they have any plans to improve reception at your address. He actually responds with useful information -- I asked him about coverage in Yosemite National Park and he replied with exactly why they don't have a tower there yet.
    * Get a wireless router and use wifi calling (but I think you said that wasn't a good solution in your case)
    * Change carriers until something changes.

Unfortunately, not all cell phone providers can provide great coverage anywhere. As an example, the "great Verizon" has ZERO coverage at my aunt's house in the San Francisco Bay Area -- even though T-Mobile and AT&T both cover the home perfectly well.

Robert

Feedback Score
    Thanks Robert. I tweeted Neville and he said they are planning two B12 overlay upgrades in my area for late this year. We'll see if I can wait that long.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone SE for T-Mobile is exactly the same as the ones for AT&T and Verizon, so I don't have to worry about returning this phone within 14 days to Apple. I could cancel with T-Mobile at any time after those 14 days (they said there is no termination fee) and switch to either AT&T or Verizon using the same phone.

Hop, Skip, and a Jump from Tijuana, Mexico
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you sign up for T-Mobile you can get a 4G/LTE cellspot that uses your home internet to create an antenna in your home. I have one connected to my UVerse and it works great.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Robert. I tweeted Neville and he said they are planning two B12 overlay upgrades in my area for late this year. We'll see if I can wait that long.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone SE for T-Mobile is exactly the same as the ones for AT&T and Verizon, so I don't have to worry about returning this phone within 14 days to Apple. I could cancel with T-Mobile at any time after those 14 days (they said there is no termination fee) and switch to either AT&T or Verizon using the same phone.
    This is exactly one of the reasons I do love T-Mobile. You can tweet the executives and they respond with a truthful and honest answer. We might not like the fact it's so far out - but at least you know an upgrade is planned for a specific time in the future.

I can't think of any other provider being so accessible to customers about their plans. And while regular customer support may not know the plans the executives will still share them.

Good luck with making your decision. I know I'd hate having the reception issues you are seeing at work, and that your options are limited.

Feedback Score
    The T-Mobile signal at my office is just so bad, and after a few dropped calls, I decided to try out a Verizon iPhone SE. I get a decent Verizon signal at my office, so that's good. I've also been doing a lot of speed tests at the office and at home, and driving around too.

My impression after a few days is that Verizon gives me a signal everywhere. Even with 1 bar of LTE, the internet is still usable. But with T-Mobile, 1 bar could result in either extremely slow internet or no internet at all. (With AT&T, 1 bar ALWAYS meant no internet at all.)

But where T-Mobile has coverage, which seems to be everywhere except my office, the speeds are generally faster than Verizon. In some places (including at home), I can sometimes get 30-50 Mbps. I have rarely seen Verizon go over 10 Mbps. I think if I could get a signal at my office, then I would stick with T-Mobile. But I guess I'll keep the Verizon phone and maybe consider T-Mobile again if they ever do the B12 upgrade near my office.

I'm also not really impressed with Verizon customer service. I've been sending them direct messages to their Twitter account, and asking why I sometimes get like 2 Mbps download and under 1 Mbps upload at home, when I can get around 30 Mbps with T-Mobile. If I'm paying $90/month for this service, I'd like some decent speed, especially since I'd like to use the personal hotspot for those times my Comcast internet goes down. They have said things to me like "our 4G LTE is rated for 5 - 12 Mbps" and "what is your concern with your speed - is there anything you can't do with the phone?" Very disappointing responses from a company that calls itself "America's Fastest Network".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2