any updates on this?

Device(s)
    Pixel3XL, Pixel3, Pixel2XL, s9+, s8+, Atom, Axon 7, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My Nexus 5x, Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL all get VoLTE when on Fi/T-Mobile. My Nexus 6 never did
    --
    CellGuru

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    nice....how long has it been working?

yes VOLTE will only work on t-mobile cause sprint doesnt have any VOLTE at all

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    VoLTE as well as WiFi calling were working on my Nexus 5X as reported in message #14 above, until the 5X device failed a few weeks ago. As far as I can tell, the VoLTE and WiFi calling features also work well on the replacement Fi phone, a Moto 4X.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by JimWorthey View Post
    VoLTE as well as WiFi calling were working on my Nexus 5X as reported in message #14 above, until the 5X device failed a few weeks ago. As far as I can tell, the VoLTE and WiFi calling features also work well on the replacement Fi phone, a Moto 4X.

happy to hear this, sounds like Fi did a nationwide roll out of VOLTE...this is what ive been waiting for!!...i got a att hotspot $20 unlimited data that i use for data on my phone so i dont need data at all...no VOLTE was keeping me from Fi cause t-mobiles VOLE is the best and i dont want to get away from it...

if i get the moto x4 at $250 can i take it back to metro pcs? is it unlocked? if any one knows please post!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    if i get the moto x4 at $250 can i take it back to metro pcs? is it unlocked? if any one knows please post!
    Let me answer in detail. Somebody can squawk if my details are not quite right.
    1. I believe that all phones sold by Project Fi are unlocked.
    2. I believe that most Motorola phones are available unlocked.
    3. To use the Moto X4 on Project Fi, it must be the somewhat special Moto X4 Android One, which you can buy through Fi. I assume that it is compatible with other carriers such as Metro PCS. But the plain vanilla non-Android One would not work on Fi.
    4. It appears that the version sold by Fi is not available with the upgraded storage and RAM. It has 32 GB of storage. There is (or was) a 64 GB version for non-Fi use.
    5. Speaking of storage, the X4 accepts a micro-SD card up to 2 TB. I got a 128 GB card at a reasonable price. For tech possibilities, see https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/ .
    6. Motorola provides a compatibility chart: https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility .

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    3. To use the Moto X4 on Project Fi, it must be the somewhat special Moto X4 Android One, which you can buy through Fi. I assume that it is compatible with other carriers such as Metro PCS. But the plain vanilla non-Android One would not work on Fi.
    4. It appears that the version sold by Fi is not available with the upgraded storage and RAM. It has 32 GB of storage. There is (or was) a 64 GB version for non-Fi use.
    5. Speaking of storage, the X4 accepts a micro-SD card up to 2 TB. I got a 128 GB card at a reasonable price. For tech possibilities, see https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/ .
    6. Motorola provides a compatibility chart: https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility .

ive look and it seems like the moto x4 only came with 32GB and 3GB RAM...but outside the states u can get the 64GB 4GB RAM model..bummer cause i was really ready to buy x4 but 32GB on board storage will prob be a no go, yea i know i can get a SD card BUT the new OS's wont let u save apps to the sd card then theres the phone software that needs space for updates..that 32GB will be 15GB by the time all the updates and ur apps installed....64GB is the golden ticket for me...sucks cause its the only way to get Fi with VOLTE working.....$250 is asking to much i think and yea i know the phone is on sale reg price is $450 i think...whats the next step down from a moto x4 i can get from ebay i guess...VOLTE is a must tho

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    ive look and it seems like the moto x4 only came with 32GB and 3GB RAM...but outside the states u can get the 64GB 4GB RAM model..bummer cause i was really ready to buy x4 but 32GB on board storage will prob be a no go, yea i know i can get a SD card BUT the new OS's wont let u save apps to the sd card then theres the phone software that needs space for updates..that 32GB will be 15GB by the time all the updates and ur apps installed....64GB is the golden ticket for me...sucks cause its the only way to get Fi with VOLTE working.....$250 is asking to much i think and yea i know the phone is on sale reg price is $450 i think...whats the next step down from a moto x4 i can get from ebay i guess...VOLTE is a must tho

looking at the Fi phones, nexus 5x/6p/6 all say "Not expandable" (sd slot) really??...while ppl are still selling them for over $100+

whelp i guess im better off with the moto x4 after seeing all that BS....Fi really needs a better/cheaper phone line up

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think that there was a version of the Moto X4 with 64 GB storage and one extra GB of RAM. If that's right, then what's left on the Motorola web site is a closeout sale, and the 64 GB phones are gone. I remember seeing the 64 GB X4 and then realizing that the Fi phone was not available with the larger storage.

As it happens, I have a Moto g5--not usable on Project Fi--that does have 64 GB of internal storage, and 4 GB of RAM, plus a 64 GB SD card that I put in. In that phone, I had a choice whether to use the SD card as an extension of internal storage, or as media storage only. If it's set to extend the internal storage, then the card is reformatted and encrypted. But I didn't do that, I use it for media only, meaning photos and videos primarily. Using it for the photos does keep the main ROM free for adding apps. I don't believe that the 4X has the fancy encrypted mode available. The SD card can only be used for media, so-called. But again that keeps the other storage for apps.

Device(s)
    Tmobile Wing OEM rom
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Jim,

The one point that I would like to clarify is that any moto X4 Will work on Project Fi not just the Android one version.

I am using the Amazon Prime X4 on Fi and the carrier switching works well. I am on Sprint (No voLTE) as well as T-mobile (voLTE).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The one point that I would like to clarify is that any moto X4 Will work on Project Fi not just the Android one version.

I am using the Amazon Prime X4 on Fi and the carrier switching works well. I am on Sprint (No voLTE) as well as T-mobile (voLTE).
    Very interesting. So the carrier-switching circuitry is in all X4's. I assume that you downloaded the Project Fi app, then things went smoothly. That's cool.

My Moto X4 came from Google because my previous device, a Nexus 5X, was covered by the Protection Plan when it failed by boot looping on April 23. Others had gotten different help, but when the problem hit me, their remedy was to send the Moto X4. I am out the $69 deductible, plus the cost of the protection plan itself.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
    Jim,

thank you so much for clearing this up...im going pick up one from bestbuy!!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Very interesting. So the carrier-switching circuitry is in all X4's. I assume that you downloaded the Project Fi app, then things went smoothly. That's cool.

My Moto X4 came from Google because my previous device, a Nexus 5X, was covered by the Protection Plan when it failed by boot looping on April 23. Others had gotten different help, but when the problem hit me, their remedy was to send the Moto X4. I am out the $69 deductible, plus the cost of the protection plan itself.
    My son had a Nexus 6 die under Google maintenance. They send him a 128gb Pixel.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My son had a Nexus 6 die under Google maintenance. They send him a 128gb Pixel.
    Good for him. I am happy with the Moto X4. I don't remember all the details, but as far as the Project Fi protection plan I think Google tried various things over time. When they had repair parts and refurbished phones on hand, they sent out refurbished 5Xs. It's what you'd expect, but some had further trouble with their replacement phones. I think there were other offers that fell short of what people expected but I'm not sure of the details. There was discussion on the Project Fi Google+ forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2