Thread: Been a while. Thought y'all might like to reminisce.

Device(s)
    All of 'em
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score

Been a while. Thought y'all might like to reminisce.

Since I last posted here regularly, I've become a reviewer of mobile technology. Today I published a video about PTT (really general stuff, no surprises here for anyone who frequented this forum).

https://youtu.be/4yn-li5Mx5A

It put me in mind of my old Nextel days – as a customer and as an employee – and I wondered who here was still using PTT in their everyday lives. Do you have SDC? AT&T E-PTT? Verizon PTT+? Or do you use an app on your smartphone, like Voxer? Better yet: are you on a legacy iDEN carrier like SoLINC? What's that like?

Hope y'all are well. And I know this thread will probably take months to see even a single reply, but mods if you'd be willing to leave it open, I'd appreciate it!

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Since I last posted here regularly, I've become a reviewer of mobile technology. Today I published a video about PTT (really general stuff, no surprises here for anyone who frequented this forum).

https://youtu.be/4yn-li5Mx5A

It put me in mind of my old Nextel days – as a customer and as an employee – and I wondered who here was still using PTT in their everyday lives. Do you have SDC? AT&T E-PTT? Verizon PTT+? Or do you use an app on your smartphone, like Voxer? Better yet: are you on a legacy iDEN carrier like SoLINC? What's that like?

Hope y'all are well. And I know this thread will probably take months to see even a single reply, but mods if you'd be willing to leave it open, I'd appreciate it!
    I'm a legacy iDEN user on SouthernLINC and you better believe every time i'm back in the LINC coverage area, I power on my i880 or or i686 and start beeping everyone who still has a LINC phone. A lot of my family works for the power company, so everyone has a Southern LINC phone and its pretty awesome to start hearing alerts come in when they know I am in town.

It's exactly how PTT was supposed to be, chirp sounds and all! I actually tried the Sonim XP7's and DuraForce XE's but they did not have the reliability you come to know with iDEN.

As to the future, SouthernLINC is apparently rapidly rolling out LTE and should have a PTT solution using Motorola Waveforce 7000. We will see what comes out of that.

As for SDC, I gave up on that when Sprint stopped caring after the iDEN shutdown.

Device(s)
    Flogging an i880 w/no camera - and I like it!
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Cool video review. Definitely kicked in a few memories on the wayback machine.

I gave up on cellular PTT before it ever started. Every one I tried was more like a gimmick than an actual PTT feature. Release to wait, instead of Push to Talk. I'm currently using GMRS for family group calls. Great for mobile use in the car, but not so great for portability. The other app I play around with is Zello, but as noted in your video, people tend to kill the app & then forget to turn it back on. I have the idea of trying to mimic the Motorola Wave by merging Zello with my GMRS via a VOIP gateway, but have never sat down to dope it out & load up a dedicated device to act as the gateway. Seems like a nice job for a Raspberry Pi.

Currently carrying a Motorola Nexus as my personal phone. Motorola sure isn't the same company anymore. Was talking the other day with a teenager about my Pininfarina i836 that I modded up & painted bright Ferrari Red. That was the height of design for flip phones IMHO.

Feedback Score

Been a while. Thought y'all might like to reminisce.

I think the natural successor to PTT should have been the instant phone call...the whole ringing and waiting for an answer routine should no longer be necessary. Volte is already almost an instant connection.
    I should be able to tap your name in my contact list and depending on your settings you allow or deny and instantly we are connected.
    Yet every IM or Chat client has to ring, except for perhaps an intercom system.
    So Nextel made the ring routine unnecessary and the current PTT offerings are not reliable, like Sprint Connect, Zello and Voxer. Nothing can match iDen for reliability.
    So let's move into connecting calls live and instantly over LTE and forget the ringer routine.

As far as reminiscing, I really miss ringer number 3 and the old interconnect announcement "Please hold while the Nextel Subscriber you are trying to reach is located." Strange how you could instantly direct connect someone on the other side of the world, but to call someone they had to "locate" them first.

Also the Voice Mail IVR was interesting too..."Greeting set to All Hours" or "Press one to enable your extended absence greeting."
    Last edited by techfranz; 02-28-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I always dreamed of having an r765 but could simply not afford one at the time and now there is no network left to use it on.

Since AT&T acquired Nextel from NII holdings it won't be long before the network is being quietly killed off since my phone no longer picks up a signal.

Still, even though my journey with iden was short lived limited to a Boost mobile phone, it certainly had its charm.

Whenever I called my boost phone and pulled the battery out I would consistently hear an all circuits busy message.

The voicemail system in my area was also borked since I would randomly hear strange sounds and voices instead of the IVR prompts. Quite a freaky experience hearing that for the first time since I thought it was crosstalk at first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk