Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Small Cell/oDAS Thread

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    Yes and no:

Yes, because densification like Verizon is doing will spare them time to acquire more spectrum. However, densifying only does so much.

No, because... well they simply have to acquire more. It’s not a want, it’s a have to - if they want to actually compete and have enough capacity for their customers outside of mmWave zones.
    I think this might warrant a new thread? I'm going to make on about the topic.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Small cells have been popping up like weeds in CT. They are showing up in all sorts of weird places like small towns of <20k POPs where a small cell or two will go in downtown. An area on Route 195 on the way to the University of Connecticut that's in the middle of nowhere got several small cells, presumably to keep coverage stronger when driving down there. Verizon is really densifying, even in areas that you wouldn't expect to see small cells from any carrier.
    That’s great to hear. Verizon is doing the same thing here in northern NJ. We have some mountainous terrain where macro sites have a hard time reaching. Verizon is installing lots of small cells on existing telephone polls to keep LTE coverage solid thru out those areas. I think they’re going to do well with Mobile 5G in those dense urban areas where they plan to add thousands of small cells in each city. I and others on this forum would still like to see them purchase more mid band spectrum for the macro network . 5G will rake load off those sites but eventually more spectrum will be needed. Are you seeing any new co locations on macro sites or macro builds by you ?

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    That’s great to hear. Verizon is doing the same thing here in northern NJ. We have some mountainous terrain where macro sites have a hard time reaching. Verizon is installing lots of small cells on existing telephone polls to keep LTE coverage solid thru out those areas. I think they’re going to do well with Mobile 5G in those dense urban areas where they plan to add thousands of small cells in each city. I and others on this forum would still like to see them purchase more mid band spectrum for the macro network . 5G will rake load off those sites but eventually more spectrum will be needed. Are you seeing any new co locations on macro sites or macro builds by you ?
    It will create more consistency, but there is no actual coverage gap issue. My AT&T phone has one bar of LTE in the area, and they are pretty much all co-located on the same macro towers. I'm not sure if the bandwidth savings for the macro tower are larger if they can get cell edge users off of the macro and onto the small cell?

Verizon is typically third in line for new sites. In my town, we've had two new sites in the past 10ish years, both were started by T-Mobile, AT&T jumped on right after, and a few months later Verizon came on, and still no sign of Sprint. On one, they roam on Verizon, on the other, they are served out of neighboring towers with flaky LTE/3G/1x coverage while AT&T and Verizon have flaky LTE. There are a few areas in my town that used to be roaming in the analog days from NY, but modern LTE and HSPA+ doesn't seem to make the 13 mile shot, so now it's just flaky dysfunctional one bar on ever carrier. If Verizon can get a small cell at each of the tower beaches, it would be killer for Verizon users, as nothing else works. They really should just all put macros at one of the beaches, there are giant light poles by the sports fields that would work for them, but no dice so far.

The only other macro builds that I know of are a town or two over, they rebuilt three shorter towers into two taller towers, and another a couple towns the other way where an old water tower is getting ripped down and replaced by a monopole. There was another one where they built a new fake water tower a couple of years ago to fill in the last gap on Amtrak's Wi-Fi I believe all the way from Washington to Boston, but at least from New Haven to Boston. They're not really new sites though, just various improvements to existing ones. I'm sure there are new sites somewhere, but they are few and far between as we are darn close to 100% built out coverage wise. We did get AT&T LTE before Verizon or anyone else, as Verizon built out from NYC to New Haven, and AT&T built out from New Haven to Boston in order to get Amtrak's Wi-Fi routers to have LTE all the way back in the very beginning of the LTE buildouts from all the carriers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This small cell literally went up across from my work yesterday or today. Idk whose it is though as it’s a setup that’s highly unfamiliar for Chicago! It’s definitely not AT&T or Sprint which leaves me with T-Mobile or Verizon. I’m really hoping it’s Verizon cuz then that means I’d get much better service at work!

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    This small cell literally went up across from my work yesterday or today. Idk whose it is though as it’s a setup that’s highly unfamiliar for Chicago! It’s definitely not AT&T or Sprint which leaves me with T-Mobile or Verizon. I’m really hoping it’s Verizon cuz then that means I’d get much better service at work!
    That smells like Verizon, but I can't really tell the difference, as Verizon is the only provider that uses small cells in my market. T-Mobile doesn't have enough marketshare to need them, and AT&T has so much spectrum that they don't need them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    That smells like Verizon, but I can't really tell the difference, as Verizon is the only provider that uses small cells in my market. T-Mobile doesn't have enough marketshare to need them, and AT&T has so much spectrum that they don't need them.
    Yeah it’s definitely very Verizon esque. My only reservations about that is it looks very similar to this setup which is definitely not AT&T or Verizon and Sprint uses Airspans, which isn’t what that is. The other thing is T-Mobile definitely has the market share to do small cells like this.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Found three more of these going in today around downtown Binghamton!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm, Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Yeah. Looking at the RRU, definitely looks like Verizon! That's my guess.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    PimeTechnology
    youtube.com/pimetechnology

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    A small cell/CRAN node in Knoxville, TN running a single carrier of B4:

These CRAN nodes are all over downtown Nashville, they appear to be running B2/4/13, maybe B5 but wasn’t able to confirm:

Another variant I found in Germantown and another by the Nashville farmers market. These ones are running B4 only:

I found at least half a dozen nodes each spaced about a 1/4 mile apart in Greenwood, IN, a suburb south of Indianapolis. This one appears to have Ericsson 5G NR panels, right in front of a brand new Verizon store, too. They’re running B2/4/4:

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Verizon Small Cell/oDAS Thread

My friend who works in executive IT support for a company located on the upper floors of the U.S Steel tower in Pittsburgh told me that over the next 9-12 months. Verizon will be installing an in building DAS on all floors of the tower. He also herd they are putting a DAS in the adjacent BNY Mellon center tower. This will help greatly as grant street is always horribly congested during the work days.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    A small cell/CRAN node in Knoxville, TN running a single carrier of B4:

These CRAN nodes are all over downtown Nashville, they appear to be running B2/4/13, maybe B5 but wasn’t able to confirm:

Another variant I found in Germantown and another by the Nashville farmers market. These ones are running B4 only:

I found at least half a dozen nodes each spaced about a 1/4 mile apart in Greenwood, IN, a suburb south of Indianapolis. This one appears to have Ericsson 5G NR panels, right in front of a brand new Verizon store, too. They’re running B2/4/4:
    All those poles, were they just installed (they aren't using existing telephone /power poles?)

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    All those poles, were they just installed (they aren't using existing telephone /power poles?)

The ones in Greenwood, and the ones in downtown Nashville were standalone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    These were some of the small cells found all over Pigeon Forge. They all appeared to just be running B4/4:

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Verizon Small Cell/oDAS Thread

Was completely taken by surprise to find small cells at the Bristol Renaissance Faire on the IL/WI border! Someone in my local market team must like to go there...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The ones in Greenwood, and the ones in downtown Nashville were standalone.
    Interesting. The carriers have given up trying to share other utility poles, so they are dropping poles right next to utility ones?

Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast