Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Pop needs activation help please

Feedback Score
    That's good info that you were able to go without their app.

I found I had to have it in the past but I will try your tips to avoid the need to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I think their app is borderline spyware. I've never installed it for either the global or lte sim cards. It's not necessary. It takes about a minute or less initially after booting with either sim for signal bars to come on. Subsequently signal bars come on immediately. Either way, the only other step performed was to manually configure the apn. I just use an arbitrary name and appropriate apn name depending on which sim is used. All other fields are left blank. Save the apn, then select it. Once bars appear data will connect.

Google hangouts w/ dialer will use any available data connection for voip purposes. I also have bria for android installed. I use this client with my other voip provider (callwithus.com)

The only possible benefit I can of using the fp app is to make use of the free voip calling using the number they assigned. That and to easily see account balances. While their app also uses data transport for calls, it's zero rated - doesn't count against your data bucket. I rather pay the price in slightly increased data usage than have their spyware on my phone.

@cricket101

Ping times of 150ms is typical. Speeds will vary greatly on location, device capability and signal. Use lte discovery to gain more info on signal strength and connected band details. Here in chicago I've seen dl of up to 20mbps and uploads around 6-8. Plenty fast for free service and for most cell phone related tasks.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Not to me but you might have inadvertently accepted an offer of an extra sim for 1 cent on both orders. They had that offer. However I think there was a problem with it because you could not actually use more than one on a given email address, or something like that.

I guess you had better make sure you are not enrolled in 4 trial periods that will roll over to 4 monthly charges if someone else does not better clarify this.
    yea im on the unlimited talk/text with 1GB of data but ill be changing it very soon to the free plan with 200min ....

i used 2 different emails for my order

so thats why i have 4 SIM cards cuz i took the free trial?..also i didnt see them bill me yet besides the 1 cent..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    yea im on the unlimited talk/text with 1GB of data but ill be changing it very soon to the free plan with 200min ....

so thats why i have 4 SIM cards cuz i took the free trial?..also i didnt see them bill me yet besides the 1 cent..
    I think as long as you have only two authorizations total on your credit card you should be ok.

Check online with your bank or call them to check for temporary authorizations as well as charges.

Feedback Score

I believe you have 2 SIMs on each email account. I think each SIM has a plan, and you will need to downgrade both plans to free. I'm not sure if there are two service plans as well.

Feedback Score
    yea i notice that to, when i use the apn fp.com.attz the phone pick up HSPA+ then LTE kick in, i think ill just use my Google Voice number, ill have to get my mom a GV number as well for her to use,just gotta get her a phone now..we are going be on the free 200 min plan, now since its all VOIP how do we know how many mins we use? do we just watch the data meter ?
    If you are using Hangouts with GV you have unlimited minutes and it uses about 0.6MB of data per minute.

1000 minutes will use 600MB of data, so try to talk on wifi when possible.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    soooo why did FP send me 4 SIM cards? i only paid for 2, has this happen to anyone else?

i have a HTC 512 from cricket,ill have to get a unlock code from ebay
    You probably have 2 SIMs on each account. Go online on a computer web browser and login to one of your accounts. In the upper right portion of the screen, click on the icon and you will see your device list. Each SIM will have its own sub-account. You need to downgrade each SIM to the free plan and also downgrade each one to no extra (paid) services. So, that's four accounts to manage under two emails.

If you only have one SIM attached to an account, you won't see a device list, just a logoff option.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardho View Post
    I believe you have 2 SIMs on each email account. I think each SIM has a plan, and you will need to downgrade both plans to free. I'm not sure if there are two service plans as well.
    yes i thinking the same, but i only paid for 2 SIM's ...website might be messed up?

Quote Originally Posted by Stin View Post
    If you are using Hangouts with GV you have unlimited minutes and it uses about 0.6MB of data per minute.

1000 minutes will use 600MB of data, so try to talk on wifi when possible.

thanks for doing the math!! yes im going use Google Voice ....but how would u use those 200min without GV?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @cricket101

The phone you have only has lte support on bands 2, 4, 12.

Att's bands include 2, 4, 5, 12, 17, 29, 30 depending on market. Their primary band is 17 and 5, with the rest used to provide additional bandwidth in different market. Looking at the map, your area appears to be relatively rural so it's unlikely you'll have many of the other bands. Results might also be different if your phone had support for the additional bands.

Use lte discovery to determine what band it's using. My guess is it's band 4.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @cricket101

The phone you have only has lte support on bands 2, 4, 12.

Att's bands include 2, 4, 5, 12, 17, 29, 30 depending on market. Their primary band is 17 and 5, with the rest used to provide additional bandwidth in different market. Looking at the map, your area appears to be relatively rural so it's unlikely you'll have many of the other bands. Results might also be different if your phone had support for the additional bands.

Use lte discovery to determine what band it's using. My guess is it's band 4.

on my ON5 i think i was on the 700mhz,forget the band number for it but i was using the 700 band

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    700 Mhz would be band 12. Slow speeds could just be the network then. I don't recall which bands I got the best speeds with on the fp lte sim. I want to say either 2 or 4. I wasn't motivated enough to do a speed test on each band, though I did test several. Surprisingly, the higher frequency bands had better throughput than lower. Even though the lower freq band had stronger signal strength. I really don't worry about speeds any more unless there's some issue. Even 5mbps is plenty for most tasks, including video chat (at lower resolutions).

There's only one app I've come across that lets you force bands, Network Signal Guru, and it requires root to do so.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    700 Mhz would be band 12. Slow speeds could just be the network then. I don't recall which bands I got the best speeds with on the fp lte sim. I want to say either 2 or 4. I wasn't motivated enough to do a speed test on each band, though I did test several. Surprisingly, the higher frequency bands had better throughput than lower. Even though the lower freq band had stronger signal strength. I really don't worry about speeds any more unless there's some issue. Even 5mbps is plenty for most tasks, including video chat (at lower resolutions).

There's only one app I've come across that lets you force bands, Network Signal Guru, and it requires root to do so.
    max DL i got so far is 10mbps.......for video chat to work on both sides the upload has to be at least 5mbps, so i would need 5mbps upload and the other person would need to have 5mbps as well....my upload is super slow i get 1-2mbps

i can force bands on my ON5 (metro pcs)...might be a samsung thing?

i will try other bands to see if theres any different in speeds..

Feedback Score
    What apn settings did you use? I have data and phone working without the FP app and not changing anything but sms and mms do not work?

I think their app is borderline spyware. I've never installed it for either the global or lte sim cards. It's not necessary. It takes about a minute or less initially after booting with either sim for signal bars to come on. Subsequently signal bars come on immediately. Either way, the only other step performed was to manually configure the apn. I just use an arbitrary name and appropriate apn name depending on which sim is used. All other fields are left blank. Save the apn, then select it. Once bars appear data will connect.

Google hangouts w/ dialer will use any available data connection for voip purposes. I also have bria for android installed. I use this client with my other voip provider (callwithus.com)

The only possible benefit I can of using the fp app is to make use of the free voip calling using the number they assigned. That and to easily see account balances. While their app also uses data transport for calls, it's zero rated - doesn't count against your data bucket. I rather pay the price in slightly increased data usage than have their spyware on my phone.

@cricket101

Ping times of 150ms is typical. Speeds will vary greatly on location, device capability and signal. Use lte discovery to gain more info on signal strength and connected band details. Here in chicago I've seen dl of up to 20mbps and uploads around 6-8. Plenty fast for free service and for most cell phone related tasks.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^You either need to use the fp app if you want to use their number, or the new gv app which handles sms/mms.

You *cannot* use the stock messaging or any other messaging that uses normal carrier transport for sms/mms.

Feedback Score
    That was easy enough. Just used the google voice app. Thanks

^^You either need to use the fp app if you want to use their number, or the new gv app which handles sms/mms.

You *cannot* use the stock messaging or any other messaging that uses normal carrier transport for sms/mms.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    if ur on wifi and use ur phone while on the free plan does it still use the 200min? or is it unlimited while on wifi??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast