Thread: Freedom Pop needs activation help please

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Freedom Pop needs activation help please

ok so i got my sim cards today (they sent 4 sims instead of 2)..i pop the sim in my phone and change the APN to fp.com.attz its was on 3G for a few mins then i got LTE, did a speed test which was very bad and the pings are super high but i cant make calls or text, when i make a phone call i get a robot telling me to dial 611 (thats from att not freedom pop)

i thought i can just pop the sim in and itll work, it says that the sim is already activated ....what do i have to do to get this damn thing working for calls and text? im sooooo lost with this

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Use a voip service. Either their own app or hangsouts, or some other SIP client.

The sim is data only service.

Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    My experience is in most cases you need to have the FP messaging app downloaded and installed. That does not mean that you need to use it, but you WILL be using some sort of VOIP for calls and text.
    Enjoy Lycamobile...the Ryanair of mobile phone service providers
    Air , Water , Fire....LYCA

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i have google voice app, i try that but didnt work, under "my phone number" its blank but i already had a number set up when first order it...so the whole FP uses VOIP? i thought the att sim would just work outta the box..is there more APN settings i need to change, like the mms etc....?

Feedback Score
    You need to install their app. to do an initial setup.

It contacts the servers and notifies them that your account is live.

In many cases it will not work until you do that.

You do not necessarily have to use it after that.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ok cool i got it working...tho the few phone calls i made was clear and normal but speed test says the ping is lik 150ms and the download speeds have to be cap cux i only got 5-10mbps, up load was also very slow 1-4mbps...so i guess with them high pings and slower speeds u can still get clear calls...going try calls while on 3G and see if itll match clear calls LTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    ok cool i got it working...tho the few phone calls i made was clear and normal but speed test says the ping is lik 150ms and the download speeds have to be cap cux i only got 5-10mbps, up load was also very slow 1-4mbps...so i guess with them high pings and slower speeds u can still get clear calls...going try calls while on 3G and see if itll match clear calls LTE
    The pings are not necessarily reliable indicators of the actual call routing.

They may short circuit the nominal paths for the actual voice routing. I bet they do.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    You need to install their app. to do an initial setup.

It contacts the servers and notifies them that your account is live.

In many cases it will not work until you do that.

You do not necessarily have to use it after that.

I think their app is borderline spyware. I've never installed it for either the global or lte sim cards. It's not necessary. It takes about a minute or less initially after booting with either sim for signal bars to come on. Subsequently signal bars come on immediately. Either way, the only other step performed was to manually configure the apn. I just use an arbitrary name and appropriate apn name depending on which sim is used. All other fields are left blank. Save the apn, then select it. Once bars appear data will connect.

Google hangouts w/ dialer will use any available data connection for voip purposes. I also have bria for android installed. I use this client with my other voip provider (callwithus.com)

The only possible benefit I can of using the fp app is to make use of the free voip calling using the number they assigned. That and to easily see account balances. While their app also uses data transport for calls, it's zero rated - doesn't count against your data bucket. I rather pay the price in slightly increased data usage than have their spyware on my phone.

@cricket101

Ping times of 150ms is typical. Speeds will vary greatly on location, device capability and signal. Use lte discovery to gain more info on signal strength and connected band details. Here in chicago I've seen dl of up to 20mbps and uploads around 6-8. Plenty fast for free service and for most cell phone related tasks.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    pings go crazy,heres a screen shot, look at date on speed test..start at the 230ms and go up them 30mbps speeds are from my tmobile account
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What phone are you use and where are you?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    What phone are you use and where are you?
    i have the samsung ON5 from metro pcs...near Sutersville PA

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I think their app is borderline spyware. I've never installed it for either the global or lte sim cards. It's not necessary. It takes about a minute or less initially after booting with either sim for signal bars to come on. Subsequently signal bars come on immediately. Either way, the only other step performed was to manually configure the apn. I just use an arbitrary name and appropriate apn name depending on which sim is used. All other fields are left blank. Save the apn, then select it. Once bars appear data will connect.

Google hangouts w/ dialer will use any available data connection for voip purposes. I also have bria for android installed. I use this client with my other voip provider (callwithus.com)

The only possible benefit I can of using the fp app is to make use of the free voip calling using the number they assigned. That and to easily see account balances. While their app also uses data transport for calls, it's zero rated - doesn't count against your data bucket. I rather pay the price in slightly increased data usage than have their spyware on my phone.

@cricket101

Ping times of 150ms is typical. Speeds will vary greatly on location, device capability and signal. Use lte discovery to gain more info on signal strength and connected band details. Here in chicago I've seen dl of up to 20mbps and uploads around 6-8. Plenty fast for free service and for most cell phone related tasks.
    yea i notice that to, when i use the apn fp.com.attz the phone pick up HSPA+ then LTE kick in, i think ill just use my Google Voice number, ill have to get my mom a GV number as well for her to use,just gotta get her a phone now..we are going be on the free 200 min plan, now since its all VOIP how do we know how many mins we use? do we just watch the data meter ?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    soooo why did FP send me 4 SIM cards? i only paid for 2, has this happen to anyone else?

i have a HTC 512 from cricket,ill have to get a unlock code from ebay

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    soooo why did FP send me 4 SIM cards? i only paid for 2, has this happen to anyone else?

i have a HTC 512 from cricket,ill have to get a unlock code from ebay
    Not to me but you might have inadvertently accepted an offer of an extra sim for 1 cent on both orders. They had that offer. However I think there was a problem with it because you could not actually use more than one on a given email address, or something like that.

I guess you had better make sure you are not enrolled in 4 trial periods that will roll over to 4 monthly charges if someone else does not better clarify this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast